Cat Is Playing With Cat Toilet Door When Other Cat Is In It?

Anika92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats, Lily and Fynn, both girls. Recently Lily started to "play"? with the cat toilet door when Fynn is in the toilet. I try to describe it in case you don't know what I am talking about. She uses the upper part of the flap and keeps pawing it. So the door flaps around a little and the flap is now angular, pointing slightly inwards and any cat inside the cat toilet can't really get out.

It confuses me a little as the two have always gotten along really well and outside the cat toilet I can't see any problems? They still play together and clean each other and both sleep on me at night (or sometimes on the cat tree next to the bed).

Anyone know why she might be doing that? Lily is neutered, Fynn will get neutered in January.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I would suggest getting another litter box, or taking the lid off, because you don't want litterbox problems starting up because the cat using the box is feeling harassed or scared.

It's hard to know why, she might be simply being a bit bratty, or needs some more playtime...?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not sure why Lily would do this all of a sudden. Could be a number of reasons - playing, curiosity, something tied to Flynn not being spayed...

I would take the door flap off and see what happens. And, if you don't have a second box, as Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested get one. They can be placed next to each other, or one can be in another room of your choosing. If you go with another room, just make sure they both know where it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anika92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Not sure why Lily would do this all of a sudden. Could be a number of reasons - playing, curiosity, something tied to Flynn not being spayed...

I would take the door flap off and see what happens. And, if you don't have a second box, as Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested get one. They can be placed next to each other, or one can be in another room of your choosing. If you go with another room, just make sure they both know where it is.
We have 2 boxes. I know the rule is 3 but 2 have worked great so far as they only use the 1 as their main one and the other one is just a back up for them. I am happy to get them a third one and try it out, but she does it with both litter boxes, not just her preferred one. I will take the flap thing off and hope she doesn't find something else to do that is not okay. I like the lid on as Fynn really likes her caves and feels very comfortable in everything cosy and dark.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is probably just doing it because she can, and to bug her sister. I would think of it like when cats paw under the bathroom door if you close it when you go, kind of a "hurry up and come out and play".

I agree with removing the door flap, even if it didn't cause a problem, think of it like using an outhouse/porta potty. The door prevents air flow which is not good, even if you scoop right away litter dust is still trapped, and inhaled (depending on the litter you use). Also the smell of what they just did is there until they get out.

Anika92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I would suggest getting another litter box, or taking the lid off, because you don't want litterbox problems starting up because the cat using the box is feeling harassed or scared.

It's hard to know why, she might be simply being a bit bratty, or needs some more playtime...?
She has been a bit bratty since end of October. She is demanding a lot more attention and is mewing a lot. The vets I have talked to said she wants to go outside. It's sadly not possible here though as we live at the rim of a city with too much traffic. I am getting her a large balcony cage and hope this will satisfy her as she isn't used to being outside (except the 2 times she was/escaped into my mums garden when we were there). I was planning on starting clicker training with her as well to stimulate her more and worst comes to worst I will walk her on a leash. I don't love the last option as there is no one who could do it when we are in holidays and I am a bit worried she ends up needing 2h walks each day which is more than I can guarantee

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
As what was suggested here, just take the flap off. And see what she will do next. Maybe she will think of other ways to "annoy" her sister. I think she is just being playful, though. Silly, Lily :).

My Barley does the bugging thing each time Bourbon is using the litter box. But their boxes are both open, so what this Barley does is sit in front of Bourbon while she is doing her thing. He just sits there, staring (so un-gentleman!), until Bourbon is done. This sometimes annoys Bourbon as she smacks Barley immediately after. So I think Lily is just being her silly, naughty self. The only problem is when Fynn gets too "harassed" and stops using the toilet.

Anika92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As what was suggested here, just take the flap off. And see what she will do next. Maybe she will think of other ways to "annoy" her sister. I think she is just being playful, though. Silly, Lily :).

My Barley does the bugging thing each time Bourbon is using the litter box. But their boxes are both open, so what this Barley does is sit in front of Bourbon while she is doing her thing. He just sits there, staring (so un-gentleman!), until Bourbon is done. This sometimes annoys Bourbon as she smacks Barley immediately after. So I think Lily is just being her silly, naughty self. The only problem is when Fynn gets too "harassed" and stops using the toilet.

She is probably just doing it because she can, and to bug her sister. I would think of it like when cats paw under the bathroom door if you close it when you go, kind of a "hurry up and come out and play".

I agree with removing the door flap, even if it didn't cause a problem, think of it like using an outhouse/porta potty. The door prevents air flow which is not good, even if you scoop right away litter dust is still trapped, and inhaled (depending on the litter you use). Also the smell of what they just did is there until they get out.
I use high quality, no smell, no added fragrance, no dust (that one is never true, but it is low dust) clumping litter. We clean it once a day. I have taken the flap off and now Lily sits on top of the litter box, pawing at Fynn when she is in the toilet :ohwell: I have the feeling Lily is getting jealous of Fynn or is just looking for something to do. I can fix the 'not being enough entertained' part. I just hope it isn't jealousy. We also bought a third cat toilet today just to make sure Fynn has enough options, in case it does bother her that Lily is suddenly doing this

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if you want to keep the lid, maybe you can put something that she would prefer to play with more near the litter box?

Anika92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if you want to keep the lid, maybe you can put something that she would prefer to play with more near the litter box?
There are toys everywhere. The living room is their main room and we keep all of them there. Both of them prefer it when we play with them though. They like the toys and play occasionally with them, but they rather wait until we get home to play with them. One of the litter boxes is in the living room as well, so she would have a lot of toys available as an alternative if she wants to.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Furballsmom suggested why don't you take the lid off one of the boxes and see which box Flynn prefers?

Anika92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As Furballsmom suggested why don't you take the lid off one of the boxes and see which box Flynn prefers?
Already did, now she sits on top of the litterbox and paws at Fynn. I will remove the lid completely and hope Fynn won't mind and Lily does not find anything else to annoy Fynn with while she is doing her business.