Cat Is Peeing Outside Litter Box

Prestopepper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so my 1 year old kitty recently got sick with a respiratory infection, watery eyes, congested nose, fever, dehydration, lethargy, but he is almost better now. I’ve already gone to the vet and they gave him eye medicine, steroids/vitamins/subcutaneous fluids/ interferon injection and antibiotics. His fever is gone, eyes are almost back to normal, except now, lately, he is peeing outside of his litter box. He still eats normally (wet food with a little added water). But he still doesn’t drink water on his own, so I’ve been syringe feeding him water every hour or two. He still seems lethargic and dehydrated (skin doesn’t retract that quickly) Sometimes he’ll make the trip to the litter box, other times he’ll just urinate while he’s laying down. Sometimes he’ll urinate on my blanket when he lays down on it. I’d say it’s pretty frequent. He still poops at least once a day and it’s soft cause I recently switched to a/d wet food to help with his weight loss. I also have to mention that I live in Japan inside a military base, and unfortunately today is a federal holiday so the vets inside base are closed. I have gone to a Japanese vet off base but there is only one fluent English speaker that ive gone to, but he isn’t working today. He will be back tomorrow. I’m still trying to learn Japanese but it’s still not enough for me to comprehend what they’re saying if I see a different vet off base.. i suspect it could be a bladder infection/uti, is there anything I can do in the meantime until I’m able to take him back to the vet tomorrow?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan lives in Japan and may be of some help.

Can you put puppy pads down to contain any accidents?

Keep your cat hydrated. Adding water to the canned food helps. The vet can give fluids if your cat needs it. You can give sub q fluids at home if the vet is ok with that and shows you how to do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prestopepper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Norachan Norachan lives in Japan and may be of some help.

Can you put puppy pads down to contain any accidents?

Keep your cat hydrated. Adding water to the canned food helps. The vet can give fluids if your cat needs it. You can give sub q fluids at home if the vet is ok with that and shows you how to do it.
Yes I’ve bought puppy pads and they caught already a few accidents.

Would subcutaneous fluids alone rehydrate my cat? Like would I still need to syringe feed him water through his mouth?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi P Prestopepper I'm sorry to hear your cat is sick. To me, peeing while lying down is a sign that something is seriously wrong, as even very sick cats will get up and try to move when they need to pee.

Just a thought, but could you take your cat to the vet today and use an app on your phone to help you translate? Or take him to the vet and ask them to write down, in Japanese, what you need to do or what medication he was given so you can show that to your usual vet when you can get there?

Sub Q fluids work miracles, in my experience, so if you could get him to a vet for some fluids today at least you wouldn't have to worry about him being dehydrated anymore.

Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prestopepper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Norachan Norachan thank you, I was able to go to the vet off base today, turns out my usual vet that speaks fluent English was working today and he’s gonna let me continue the subcutaneous fluid treatment at home. My vet gave my cat antibiotic shots, vitamins, interferon and steroid injections today, he also said that my cat might be urinating on himself due to lethargy. He said kidney function is normal and he also checked his abdomen. My cat still goes to the litter box sometimes when he needs to pee/poop, it’s just while he’s sleeping he’ll pee and then wake up