Cat is peeing on clothes and in our room

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So our cat is 1 and 1/2 years old she was a single cat till about 9 months ago when we got my older cat from my brother, there did seem to be a issue with them she doesn't like the older cat even though the older cat isn't even bothered by her and ignores her. also my wife was pregnant at the time with my son and the issue didn't start until after my son was born, it seems like she pees on my sons clothes and me and my wife's clothes, im trying to deal with this as much as possible because my wife isn't too happy with her peeing on our sons stuff, but I have isolated her from our room, the bathroom, and my sons room to try to stop the issue. so when we keep all of the doors closed she doesn't pee, but if we leave one open for 10 mins she goes in and finds some clothes and pees, its getting to the point where it is causing fights with me and my wife and we are about to get rid of her. I know she is healthy she just had a check up about 2 months ago no random change in the way she acts, I just need some help before I make the choice to give her away. thanks

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Though I don't have any advice, as I have not experienced this, I wanted to offer moral support.  I really hope things work out peacefully and that your cat can stay with your family.  We have a lot of  knowledgeable members on our site and I hope someone can shed some light on what might be causing this type of behavior.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I appreciate your support, I really hope I don't have to give her away as well and this is my last ditch effort :/

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @boellp and welcome to TCS!

The first port of call in a case like this is a visit to the vet to check for a UTI (urinary tract infection).  This is really common behaviour when cats have this infection.  It could be as simple as that.

We have a really good article about the problem and a look through that could also be helpful:

[article="32366"]How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

But the vet really is the best first option.

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok sounds good I will take her to the vet and see what they say, if there isn't a issue what would be the next step? I really am trying to lean away from getting rid of her but when you pee on a babies things and the momma catches her... she wants her gone haha

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also a side note, she still pees in the litter box but if she catches one of the doors open she will walk in find either my clothes, my sons, or wifes and target them. even if they are in a container she will pee on them, I never have a issue with her peeing on the floor or carpet it is always our stuff.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

ok sounds good I will take her to the vet and see what they say, if there isn't a issue what would be the next step? I really am trying to lean away from getting rid of her but when you pee on a babies things and the momma catches her... she wants her gone haha
Get the vet check first.   If that's the case, problem solved.

But a pretty basic answer would be to not leave things where she can pee on them.  If she stops doing it, then there is something territorial going on.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is trying to tell you something, that she is in pain or distress over something. It is a signal to you that she hopes you cannot ignore. She needs a vet check-up, a really good one as things can often be missed. I have had terrible experiences in the last few weeks, with one cat having to be PTS for cancer because the vet did not do a thorough check at her last regular exam, and just this week my oldest cat, who is definitely sick and who has been peeing ont he floor, went through two vet checks and was pronounced Ok, though with some kidney issues. I insisted on an Xray and she has kidney stones which are incredibly painful. Don't take no for an answer if you think there is something wrong.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about getting the cat to the vet.  One of my cats Sonny peed on a chair in front of my hubby.  I have had Sonny for 6 years and he had never done this before.  I took him to the vet and he had a UTI.  Once the UTI was treated the issue resolved itself.  My vet also told me that when cat's have a UTI they can have very sudden urges to pee and may not be able to get to the litter box in time. 

Also how many litter boxes do you have and where are they located? 

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have one litter box its in the center of the apartment where both cats are located, it hasn't been an issue before I am just surprised she is targeting our clothes and nothing else. I am going to take her to the vet when I get a chance.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
i have one litter box its in the center of the apartment where both cats are located, it hasn't been an issue before I am just surprised she is targeting our clothes and nothing else. I am going to take her to the vet when I get a chance.
Very often cats will not want to wee where they poo, or share a litterbox. I've had cats that have been fine sharing and then all of a sudden decide that they will not wee in the same box and start using my showerbay or the sink! I would definitely recommend trying another litterbox.
The article will give more information on this and other things.

But the fact that she is choosing soft things is very typical of a UTI.

Last edited:

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok will do, I will get another box and we will see if it works :clap:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although some cats will happily share litterboxes, as a general rule we advise one litterbox per cat plus one. But I know that can be difficult in some homes.

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im just confused about why she still uses it unless the doors are open to a room and she finds one of our things. she doesn't have a issue using the box . :kitty2:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first step is to take her to the vet. Then also add more boxes.

What are you using to clean up the spots she's peed?

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it's been on clothes so we run them in the washer 2 to 3 times and add vintager to kill the smell

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who would take her with this condition? They would give her away too. She is trying to tell you something. Let us know what the vet says.
I agree with this Primula.  I went through a huge argument with my hubby after Sonny peed on his chair.  Sonny had never had litter box issues at all before his UTI in the 6 years he has been part of our family. My hubby was being very stubborn and insisted the behavior was because Sonny was mad at him about something.  I do not drive and he was refusing to take the cat to the vet.  He had never acted this way before with any of our cats.  I was a wreck and called my best friend in tears.  She also happens to be Sonny's former foster mom.  She told me to make an appointment the next day around my work schedule and when I called my vet they were booked until I had to be at work. My friend called her vet and scheduled the appointment under her name so he could be seen that day.  She took us to the vet and even helped get Sonny in the carrier.  Her vet is expensive compared to mine so she decided she was paying the bill too.  When I got home from the vet with the paper work stating that Sonny did have a UTI my hubby apologized and admitted he was wrong to refuse to take Sonny to the vet.  The peeing on the chair stopped immediately after treatment.  This was really not an expensive issue to treat but my friend makes a lot more money than us and views Sonny as a member of her family too. I could have afforded the vet expense on my own though.  Please rule out this medical issue before thinking about giving up your baby.  If you need advise because there are issues getting your baby in the carrier to get to the vet please ask.  Many of us have dealt with this issue.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't drive either. I much prefer taking my cats by city bus rather than ask my husband for a ride. He makes such a production of everything.