Cat is only affectionate if he wears a cone... so confused

macncheeserocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted this adult cat about 3 months ago, and his behavior really gave me a roller coaster ride. He was a bit shy at first, but I made sure he gets a lot of love, and he began to follow me around in my house and asks for pet. By the end of the first month, he seems sweet and he greets me every time I come home. I was secretly thrilled by that time, and I thought he is happy. However, starting from the second month, he spends more and more under my bed, he couldn't care less when I came home, and even started to run away when I approach him. I was so confused by that time because I didn't change any of the food, his toys (he is not playful btw), or the way I treat him. And here comes the third month. After that he accidentally got a wound and he was wearing a cone because of that. He became affectionate again! He sleeps on my bed a lot, comes to me asking for pet, and he even purrs more! I was like "Ok, maybe he has a bad mood last month lol", and I was really glad that he is happy again. Then the cone came off because he got better, and he went back to hiding and avoiding me. Last week his wound got worse because he licked too much even though it was almost healed, and unfortunately needs to wear the cone again. Guess what? He is needy and affectionate again! This is like the most weird thing I have ever experienced, and I really don't know what to do. I doubt that he likes wearing the cone because he tried to take it off sometimes. He is about 3 years old and neutered. I really feel like I was riding the roller coaster! His attitude towards me changed back and forth so quickly, it makes me wonder if it is the same cat that I have. I know cats can suddenly change their mind sometimes, but this mood swing during the past few months is giving me a whiplash. Does anyone know anything about this behavior? Is it normal for a cat to behave like this? I am so just so confused...

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he indoor only? How did he get the wound? That behavior is strange!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macncheeserocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he indoor only? How did he get the wound? That behavior is strange!
Hi! Yes, he is indoor only. I still didn't figure out how he got that wound, neither did the vet. I assumed that he was jumping around in my house and got scratched because of his speed, but I don't think I will ever find out. I did make sure there are no sharp edges or anything like that.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure it totally fits, but it could be that the cat is seeking affection when stressed and is normally more of a do my own thing cat.

When the cone comes off, don't assume anything. Be patient, try luring with treats, and if that doesn't work watch for when and where the cat will allow petting. Let the cat be the boss of when and where.

Its like you meet this person and they are super upset and you end up holding them and talking all night. The next day you ask them to come over and they are all embarrassed and freaked out you are being so forward. What would you do? I'd start from scratch and figure out what they like.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have any "Hidey Hole" type set ups in other rooms. A cardboard box on its side with a towel over most of the openin works great. I'd give him a few ckoices and block off the underside of the bed since you don't know how he got hurt. He does see you as a comfort so maybe he'll spend time in the room with you if he has a cave nearby.

Try getting him to play. It might not make him more cuddly but it will teach him that humans are useful for fun not just crisis.