Cat Is On Steroids - Time For A New Vet?

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just returned from a vet appointment.

My cat has been scratching and grooming a lot more than normal, and aggressively as well. He's developing scabs throughout is lower back and neck. Finding fresh wounds breaks my heart.

Last time (2 weeks ago) the vet suggested it was an allergy saying "it could be anything". And prescribed 1 x 10mg of steroids tablet a day.

I saw little improvement during these 2 weeks, so the vet doubled the dosage just now.
Again, little interest in finding the root causes.

I am freaking out bc I am reading about the effects of this medication on cats.

This is making me so sad.

He is on Orijen Cat & Kitten and I am thinking if i should replace with something else.

Do you have any other suggestions??

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Long term steroid use can cause issues in some cats. I wouldn't worry about the steroid use right now.

If the vet isn't interested in finding the exact cause of your cat's constant scratching and scabs, seek out another vet for another opinion. If it's allergies, a veterinary dermatologist should be able to help.

Food allergies / intolerances can cause itching and scabs in some cats. Chicken is a common cause f food allergies. You can try another brand of food in a novel protein. Pet stores have various brands of limited ingredient diets these days. Feed the new food for at least 13 weeks. It takes that long or more to see any improvement (or not).

Skin Conditions In Cats

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with LTS3 LTS3 . The steroids are pretty much necessary at this point - if they help - to help give your cat some relief, but they obviously won't cure the problem.

Allergies are a real tough thing to get to the bottom of. Food allergies, environmental allergies, even litter allergies are all possibilities. If you do go to a vet who specializes in dermatology (or, you could even start with a cat-only vet), they can do some skin scrapings, as well as serum testing, to try to narrow down/identify possible cause(s).

When this first started, what was going on? Food changes, litter changes, weather changes, new carpeting/furniture/toys, etc? That might help also in narrowing down potential causes.

As long as the steroids work, while the cause is being hunted for, continue with them just to give your guy a break. Good luck!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Read the ingredients in food carefully. There are many cat foods that don't have chicken meat, that have chicken meal, or no chicken meat or meal, but do have chicken broth and /or chicken fat.

I, too, think you need a vet who is interested in figuring out what is actually wrong with your cat instead of just selling you more medications. Not saying giving the cat some relief isn't a good thing, it is. But it's not a cure. Unless your cat is allergic to dust (which can be lessened) or dirt, you should be able to find out what is bothering him. It probably won't be easy, but it can be done. We were lucky, in our cat's case it was chicken and the Convenia shot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick history, hope it can shed some light.

- My cat has been on Orijen (morning) & one Sheba pouch (evening) for years.

- About 8 or 9 months ago, my cat developed diarrhoea that wouldn't go away. That was uncomfortable for everyone, especially for him. I spent a lot of money in the vet, with lots of vaccines and tablets administered.
The vet never suggested that I should try to change his diet, he basically assumed it was some kind of infection, and just kept on giving different meds, with a "let's try this" attitude.
I tried to change his diet on my own initiative (even though he was on the same diet for YEARS). I never suspected of Orijen because it's premium and grain free, so I decided to replace the wet food. After trying several brands (he is VERY picky), I finally settled with a premium food based on TUNA (60%) and Tapioca Starch.
With this new diet, after MONTHS of diarrhoea, his poop became more and more solid until it was not a problem anymore. I WAS SO HAPPY!

- 2 months after his new diet began, we have the excessive grooming problem... and a few days later, the first wounds.
So, a new batch of vet visits is beginning and my cat is becoming a drug "warehouse" again.
I suspect he might have some allergy to Tuna or any other ingredients on the new pouch. So I am trying to change it once again.

Questions:
- Is it possible that Orijen could be the reason for this allergy given it is the basis of his diet for 7 years now?

- You mentioned it could take 13 weeks for the allergy to go away. If the problem is the tuna in the wet food, does it mean my cat will have to be on steroids for 13 weeks with a new diet? Every new change on his diet/environment is a new 13 weeks period on steroids?

- Are there any withdrawal symptoms when I try to end the treatment to find out if any of the changes is working?

Thanks a lot!

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just returned from a vet appointment.

My cat has been scratching and grooming a lot more than normal, and aggressively as well. He's developing scabs throughout is lower back and neck. Finding fresh wounds breaks my heart.

Last time (2 weeks ago) the vet suggested it was an allergy saying "it could be anything". And prescribed 1 x 10mg of steroids tablet a day.

I saw little improvement during these 2 weeks, so the vet doubled the dosage just now.
Again, little interest in finding the root causes.

I am freaking out bc I am reading about the effects of this medication on cats.

This is making me so sad.

He is on Orijen Cat & Kitten and I am thinking if i should replace with something else.

Do you have any other suggestions??
My cat was on prednisone and it was not nearly effective and cause immediate side effects like skin patching. It actually made him worse. We decided to get the 45 dollar shot that lasts for about a month and kicks in in like 5 hours. The difference was amazing! Discuss with your vet the risks on steroid shots. Ours was that if it caused a bad reaction we wouldn't be able to reverse it but it ended up curing him long term somehow.

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and yes withdrawal is awful. Dont take him off it completely without a long taper down. Just like humans cats must taper steroids down. I would really recommend testing the 3 day shot and see if its effective and if it is doing the month long one.

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Theres a 3 day steroid shot as well that's similar that might help.
My cat got the 1 month shot initially. Did wonders, but the problem eventually started again.

Then, he received the 3 day shot (for immediate relief) plus the tablets. Tablets are a way to avoid carrying my cat to the vet once a month - he is very aggressive with vets.

First set of pills were Prednisolone (1mg). No or very little effects.

He is now on Medrone (2mg) and it seems to be working (too early for a conclusion tho)

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat got the 1 month shot initially. Did wonders, but the problem eventually started again.

Then, he received the 3 day shot (for immediate relief) plus the tablets. Tablets are a way to avoid carrying my cat to the vet once a month - he is very aggressive with vets.

He is now on Medrone (2mg) and it seems to be working (too early for a conclusion tho)
If the shot worked I would really consider the 30 day shot. We did 2 2 day shots one after the prednisone failed and the shot for a month was amazing. Research what's in it. It's a different type of steroid and it's easier on the cat

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the shot worked I would really consider the 30 day shot. We did 2 2 day shots one after the prednisone failed and the shot for a month was amazing. Research what's in it. It's a different type of steroid and it's easier on the cat
Oh wow, didn't know that! I'll talk to the vet about that.
Honestly, thanks a lot!

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Oliver became diabetic after being on Prednisone. I am lucky he reverted back after they took him off it but, I almost killed him with insulin shock a couple times before I realized what was happening and stopped the insulin. He was on the steroid for asthma attacks. The vet found a different med that was non-steroid that worked. He still had attacks every other day or so but it was a vast improvement over the 3-4 a day. I am leary of steroids after going thru this. He still lived to be almost 16 but his last year was not good. I miss him terrible still :(

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible that Orijen could be the reason for this allergy given it is the basis of his diet for 7 years now?
Yes, food allergies / sensitivites can show up even if a cat has been eating the same food for years. My IBD cat can no longer eat chicken, something he's had rotated in his diet over the years.

- You mentioned it could take 13 weeks for the allergy to go away. If the problem is the tuna in the wet food, does it mean my cat will have to be on steroids for 13 weeks with a new diet? Every new change on his diet/environment is a new 13 weeks period on steroids?

If you do a food trial, your cat may need to be on steroids during the trial to help the symptoms of itching, etc. If there is no improvement with the food after 13 weeks or so and you start a new food trial, the steroids may need to be continued. Discuss with your vet and keep track of any changes in the symptoms during the food trial. Steroids are tapered off slowly over a couple of days, never cold turkey.

Are there any withdrawal symptoms when I try to end the treatment to find out if any of the changes is working?
For food, no. If steroids are tapered off slowly, there are no withdrawal symptoms.

The 1 mg strength may have simply not been enough. My cat was on 4 mg prednisolone for his IBD.

My Oliver became diabetic after being on Prednisone. I am lucky he reverted back after they took him off it but, I almost killed him with insulin shock a couple times before I realized what was happening and stopped the insulin.
This is why testing the blood glucose level before each insulin injection is so important, whether for people or animals. Blindly giving insulin is dangerous. I'm glad your cat was ok :agree:

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, food allergies / sensitivites can show up even if a cat has been eating the same food for years. My IBD cat can no longer eat chicken, something he's had rotated in his diet over the years.

If you do a food trial, your cat may need to be on steroids during the trial to help the symptoms of itching, etc. If there is no improvement with the food after 13 weeks or so and you start a new food trial, the steroids may need to be continued. Discuss with your vet and keep track of any changes in the symptoms during the food trial. Steroids are tapered off slowly over a couple of days, never cold turkey.

For food, no. If steroids are tapered off slowly, there are no withdrawal symptoms.

The 1 mg strength may have simply not been enough. My cat was on 4 mg prednisolone for his IBD.

This is why testing the blood glucose level before each insulin injection is so important, whether for people or animals. Blindly giving insulin is dangerous. I'm glad your cat was ok :agree:
The vet had given me the dosage needed and the needles as well as the insulin. This was so new to me. I guess they didn't realize that some cat revert when you remove the prednisone. I saved him by quickly smearing some maple syrup on his gums both times. After the first time, they reduced his dosage. Then it happened again so I simply stopped and called the vet. She was amazed he reverted back to not needing insulin. I am glad I knew what to do if he went into shock. It could have killed him. In the end he developed arthritis bad and the asthma attacks were getting worse. It was hard but I let him go. He had started crying at night but would not come to bed with me. He was in pain with the arthritis

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you mentioned the scabs are on the low back and neck, have you considered it's a reaction to the litter? Have you recently changed brands? Have you tried an all natural litter with no additives and scent-free?

Have you changed cleaning products, carpet cleaners, or laundry detergent?

Does he get a daily antihistamine to help with allergic reaction?

For a food allergy, it helps if you put them on a single novel protein such as duck. Many kitties are allergic to chicken and canned fish. Start with a single protein and see if that helps.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Duck and Rabbit are two kinds of grain-free as well as limited ingredients. I have Theo on a grain-free and he has stopped scratching his fur off. I feed him dry and canned "Taste of the Wild"

Kbschmi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We suffer from food allergies. My Thomas is extremely allergic to fish. 3 bites and he rashes out. He never was until I (had) to switch foods after our food was discontinued. As of right now hes also developed allergies to poultry as well. We're probably going to be stuck on a RX hydrogenized food for life. :(

His problems began within a month or less of our switch. I think your food switch is the issue, timing is too appropriate. Your old wet food likely had fish, she developed the allergy mildly (lower quality or amount in old food I'd suspect) resulting in upset stomach then a very high quality and higher amount of allergen with better wet food gave more intense issues. There are very few wet foods without fish. But they are out there. Fancy feast has a few and there are several limited ingredient shelf brands.

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry my bad. He was initially on 10 mg (no or little effects). He is now on 20 mg. He is better in this dose, but still grooming more (and more aggressively) than he normally would.

My plan is:
- I just replaced his wet food by "AVA Sensitive Skin and Stomach - hypo-allergenic cat food"
- (if doesn't help) I will replace his litter (he is on "100% natural clay")
- (if doesn't help) I will replace his Orijen food (main diet component) to a single protein as suggested.
- (if doesn't help) I will *try to* make him indoors (he does not tolerate that, though)

Does he get a daily antihistamine to help with allergic reaction?
I didn't even know that was an option. Can give it a try.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited: