Cat Is Having Seizures

ChrissyC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

My 3 year old fur baby started having seizures 2 days ago following strange behaviour last week. He had 8 witnessed in over a period of about 24 hrs. I started him on meds. yesterday, and while he continues to have some, they have been fewer today.
Bloodwork and urinalysis came back with no clarity, in terms of cause. He loses his bladder and foams at the mouth. What will I do if the medications don't work? Has anyone else experienced something like this?

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear. My cat started having seizures at age 5. It took us awhile to get the right meds. We ultimatelt were giving him valium and keepra 3x’s daily and zonisamide 2x daily.
There are grand mal and petite seizures. They can look different at times. Def get to a vet. Better if you can get to a bet neurologist. Many vets don’t know how to deal with seizures bc it is uncommon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChrissyC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding. I have had him to the vet a few times in the past couple of weeks, and they have been good about calling every day for check ups. He started Keppra yesterday, and he seemed more like himself this morning. 2 witnessed seizures today, but he had 8 the other day - still working up to therapeutic medication range. I would love to take him to see a neurologist and get an MRI, but I called there and an MRI alone is about $5000. He was perfectly fine 2 weeks ago. I'm really struggling because I don't want him to suffer or have a crappy quality of life, but I also need to be patient and give the meds. time to work. It's also hard to be home all of the time with him - my hubby doesn't seem to understand the importance of him getting his meds. on time. What a crappy couple of weeks.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'd like to welcome you to TCS albeit sorry that your 3 year old cat's health problem is what brought you here. :alright: I agree that you need to give the meds time to work as they may have to build up in his system. I'm glad that you have been able to take him to the vet and it sounds like they have been very responsive by calling and checking in with you. I thought these two Articles might have some helpful information for you:
Seizures In Cats
Cat Epilepsy

Best of luck, please keep us posted on your cat's progress. :hangin:

ChrissyC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you - I appreciate that!
The good news for me is in my line of work, I see lots of seizures and I am ver knowledgeable about anticonvulsants.
But in people, not cats. I wish MRIs were more affordable. We're not poor, but we don't have $5000 sitting around either. And if they find a tumour, God only knows how much it costs for brain surgery!
20180418_081806.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He is gorgeous, a real black beauty. :bigeyes: I will keep my fingers crossed that the meds continue to help and the seizures lessen. Sending special thoughts and healing vibes your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

ChrissyC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!