Cat is having issues- can’t go to vet

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So to start off, I’m 17. I own a cat with a chronic disease (it’s unknown without doing horrible amounts of testing, we just know the symptoms and how to treat for it). Basically right now my problem is this: my mom refuses to take her to the vet. She’s constantly belittling the problems that I tell her is wrong with my cat, and I can’t get any answers or help for her because of it. Right now, she’s itching horribly (from what I assume to be a type of allergy) and the symptoms of her disease are worsening because my mom hasn’t taken the initiative to get a refill on her prescription. I know that money isn’t a problem right now, so there’s nothing stopping her; I don’t know why she won’t at least let my cat have a check up.
Since I’m a minor, I can’t set up an appointment myself, and I’m not really sure what to do. It’s really painful to see my cat suffer the way she does.

If anybody has any advice, please let me know.
For the itching, I’ve tried giving her coconut oil and switching up her food but I’m honestly not sure what’s causing the reaction in the first place.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi S SketchyT

First of all, yes you can take her to the vet by yourself. There are no age restrictions on going to the vet. You can just call your regular vet and make an appointment for her.

Is this the same cat that you adopted from a shelter a while back? If you call the shelter and explain that the cat is having health problems and your mother isn't providing her with adequate care they will probably suggest that you bring her back to the shelter for treatment.

Please do something though. It isn't fair to let the poor cat suffer just because your mother isn't concerned about her. It sounds as if you're going to have to be the adult here and make sure your cat gets the treatment she needs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi S SketchyT

First of all, yes you can take her to the vet by yourself. There are no age restrictions on going to the vet. You can just call your regular vet and make an appointment for her.

Is this the same cat that you adopted from a shelter a while back? If you call the shelter and explain that the cat is having health problems and your mother isn't providing her with adequate care they will probably suggest that you bring her back to the shelter for treatment.

Please do something though. It isn't fair to let the poor cat suffer just because your mother isn't concerned about her. It sounds as if you're going to have to be the adult here and make sure your cat gets the treatment she needs.
Do you know how much something like this would cost if I did take her?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
In the US a routine health check costs around $45 to $55. Has the cat been seen by a vet for this problem before? If you take her to a vet that knows her history and just need to get a repeat prescription you will probably just have to pay for the medicine.

Was the shelter you adopted her from aware of her allergies when you first got her?

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the US a routine health check costs around $45 to $55. Has the cat been seen by a vet for this problem before? If you take her to a vet that knows her history and just need to get a repeat prescription you will probably just have to pay for the medicine.

Was the shelter you adopted her from aware of her allergies when you first got her?
I know she was seen before to first get her medication when we adopted her 4 years ago, but I’m not sure which vet it was that we saw. The shelter we got her from also aware of any allergies, as these just developed this year.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
So she hasn't had any treatment for her allergies?

Itching can be caused by all kinds of things, from fleas and mites to food intolerances and even dust. Parasites are usually the easiest to deal with. If she is allergic to her food or something in her environment it can cost quite a lot to work out what is wrong with her. She'll need to have skin/blood tests and you'll have to remove potential allergens from her diet.

In the meantime your vet might prescribe cream or tablets to ease the itching, but this usually works better if you can prevent her coming into contact with whatever she is allergic to.

Will your mother pay for her treatment if you can get her to the vet?

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So she hasn't had any treatment for her allergies?

Itching can be caused by all kinds of things, from fleas and mites to food intolerances and even dust. Parasites are usually the easiest to deal with. If she is allergic to her food or something in her environment it can cost quite a lot to work out what is wrong with her. She'll need to have skin/blood tests and you'll have to remove potential allergens from her diet.

In the meantime your vet might prescribe cream or tablets to ease the itching, but this usually works better if you can prevent her coming into contact with whatever she is allergic to.

Will your mother pay for her treatment if you can get her to the vet?
I’m not sure, but I’m set to have a job soon and I can hopefully pay that way. I’m still working to see if I can convince her about all of this to go to the vet.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the illness she has? Or at least, what are the symptoms of this illness and the prescription you had for it if you don't have an actual diagnosis?

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the illness she has? Or at least, what are the symptoms of this illness and the prescription you had for it if you don't have an actual diagnosis?
I don’t have the name of the prescription at the moment because I’m not home, but she has polyps in her nose and eyelids (mostly her eyelids) that cause her eyes and nose to water; she also goes into fits of wheezing and sneezes a lot.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is her current itching mostly the ears, face and head with head shaking/tilting as well?
Because I found this...
Nasal Polyps in Cats

It explains that the polyps can also be in the ears and throat which would lead to breathing symptoms (like wheezing) and head discomfort like shaking the head and pawing/scratching the ears.
So if she is no longer getting her medication keeping the polyps under control, this could be why there has been an increase and also the development of more symptoms.

I really hope you'll be able to convince your mom to get your kitty to the vet or are able to do so yourself.
Good luck with your kitty!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And also, not to mention that the polyps would be trapping allergens (dirt, dust, dust mites, pollen etc...) in her airways (nose and throat) and contribute to dirty ears, which could also cause lots of wheezing, sneezing and itching.

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is her current itching mostly the ears, face and head with head shaking/tilting as well?
Because I found this...
Nasal Polyps in Cats

It explains that the polyps can also be in the ears and throat which would lead to breathing symptoms (like wheezing) and head discomfort like shaking the head and pawing/scratching the ears.
So if she is no longer getting her medication keeping the polyps under control, this could be why there has been an increase and also the development of more symptoms.

I really hope you'll be able to convince your mom to get your kitty to the vet or are able to do so yourself.
Good luck with your kitty!
Thank you so much, I’ll definitely watch out for the tilting and shaking! I know that a lot of her itching has been around the face, so that might be it. I’ll keep trying to figure something out with my mom, and if not I’ll try to get her in for an appointment.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well perhaps she will be more inclined to at least get kitty to the vet for the refill in prescription and examination, if you explain that if it gets too bad (like the article says) surgery would be necessary. The surgery to remove some of the polys may be necessary regardless, but it might be a push in the right direction to get kitty thru the door. Then she will hopefully take the advice of the vet and take your concerns more seriously.
Maybe if you show her the article she'll understand that kitty really needs help.

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well perhaps she will be more inclined to at least get kitty to the vet for the refill in prescription and examination, if you explain that if it gets too bad (like the article says) surgery would be necessary. The surgery to remove some of the polys may be necessary regardless, but it might be a push in the right direction to get kitty thru the door. Then she will hopefully take the advice of the vet and take your concerns more seriously.
Maybe if you show her the article she'll understand that kitty really needs help.
I think I will, thank you for the idea!

• Purraise

SketchyT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Showing her the link convinced her to get more of her medicine! Thank you so much you’re a blessing :)

• Hugging