Cat is having her kittens in litterbox

EBoley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 1 set of kittens (both cats were fixed so actually in a lawsuit about that). So since the other kittens are 5 weeks old, I have Smokey and those 5 kittens in the living room. So tonight I knew that Oreo was close to having babies. So I put her in the second bathroom with some blankets in the tub (small bathroom). Well she is now having them, but she refuses to leave the litter box. She has 1 that was just born. The litterbox was cleaned less than 3 hours before she had the first one. I’m just worried with where she is having them. But every time I moved her, she went right back to the litterbox. In that litterbox there is non clumping litter (same with all of them except the kittens litter box that has kitten attract non climbing litter). Anyone else deal with something like this that can give some insite?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EBoley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am afraid to move the kitten so soon after born. Is it safe? My other cat I didn’t have to move them until the morning time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EBoley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not dealt with this.
However, what would happen if you dumped the litter, quick cleaned the box and put a couple soft towels in the bottom for her.

Some cats find fresh litter cool and comfortable. Yet with kittens, it is best to keep things clean.
Cause I mean she’s actively having them now. Just had the second one.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's fine to handle and move the kittens. The screenshot that Jewely Jewely posted has good info (although I'll add that a heating pad is not strictly needed unless the kittens must be alone in the box for a while). Clean all the litter off the kittens and mother, and move the kittens to a safe place. Usually if you move the kittens to a safe nesting box, mom will go there and continue the birthing process there. If mom continues to be very attached to the idea of having her kittens in the litter box, you can try swapping a better nesting box into the same location where the litter box currently is, or if all else fails, you can try cleaning the box and replacing the litter with towels as bear bear suggested.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, do prepare a second litter box for doing her poo and pee, so she does have somewhere to do her things.

Although I presume, after the birthing is done, she will soon be ready to be moved to a more comfortable nest.
Many cats do avoid to give birth in the self nest; they dont want to get it soiled.

Having them in a litter box with cat sand in, isnt ideal, but I suppose in nature this is common. After all, cat sand, cat litter, is anyways much cleaner, practically sterile, compared with having them in the earth dirt, or dust, under some bushes...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 1 set of kittens (both cats were fixed so actually in a lawsuit about that). So since the other kittens are 5 weeks old, I have Smokey and those 5 kittens in the living room. So tonight I knew that Oreo was close to having babies. So I put her in the second bathroom with some blankets in the tub (small bathroom). Well she is now having them, but she refuses to leave the litter box. She has 1 that was just born. The litterbox was cleaned less than 3 hours before she had the first one. I’m just worried with where she is having them. But every time I moved her, she went right back to the litterbox. In that litterbox there is non clumping litter (same with all of them except the kittens litter box that has kitten attract non climbing litter). Anyone else deal with something like this that can give some insite?
Hello EBoley EBoley and family and welcome to TCS! Jewely Jewely has an excellent post that should help you. I am just reading this at 0922 hrs PDT on Friday so I didn't see your post before. I would recommend following those instructions if you have not already and please do keep us updated! *PRAYERS* for your little feline family!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Torties refers to the colors. Failure to thrive means to help feed any kittens that aren’t getting enough nourishment or doing as well as they should be. Having some kitten milk replacer on hand is a precaution just in case mom cat needs a little help feeding the babies. Most moms do fine but having supplies to help out is a safety net if you find it is needed. Beautiful family there!