Cat Is Extreamly Picky About Eating. What Can I Do To To Convice Her To Eat?

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a thread on Spoon's health issues, but I'd like to get more insight specifically on getting her to eat. She's been diagnosed (tentatively) with a chronic liver problem. I'm not sure what caused her to stop eating, but she hasn't been. We had her checked over twice and there's no dental problems, or anything else we can find besides her liver.

The problem is she won't eat. She refuses to eat solid cat food - what she's been eating for ten years. She WILL eat tuna. She also eats some canned cat food. But ONLY if it's just opened. If it's been left out for more than an hour she won't touch it. I've tried putting more water in, warming it up, keeping it covered with an airtight seal until she eats it... I THINK she wants the gravy?

I've tried Fancy Feast in every flavor, 9 Lives, Friskies, Blue, and Science Diet. In all kinds (Flaked, pate, shredded) She HATES Pate. The others she will nibble at. I know she's hungry, she jumps up on the food dish stool and looks at it. She also follows me into the kitchen for food. I've also tried food toppers.

I'm at a loss. I'm going through about $30 a week in food she will nibble at. I can't afford to open a fresh can every feeding time. She also refuses solid foods of any kind. Again, we know it's not her teeth. She LOVES the Temptation cat treats, though. She'll pig out on those.

Any ideas on what the heck I can do to convince her to eat? Or what may be causing her dislike of food? I've had a kitty cold running through my herd so I was thinking smell might be a part of it. She does seem to prefer the gravy over everything else. Help? She needs to pack on weight! At this point we don't care WHAT she eats. We just need her eating.

She's had a blood test, a urine test, been checked by two vets. Everything is normal but her liver values. She has some dental problems but nothing that should be causing that. She's always been a weird eater (Preferring to dip her paw into water/milk and clean off her paw. Same with gravy type foods sometimes). She's not in any pain, either.

Honestly, I'm stumped.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a similar problem with one of mine although he would eat dry. Try mashing the wet food, better if it is in gravy not jelly. Sprinkle bonito flakes on top of the food. Crumble a few Temptations treats on top of the food or even mix a couple into the food although I would limit them. Try toppers also.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Try sprinkling a little fortiflora on the food as an appetite stimulant

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried salmon oil or fish oil? Mix it into the can directly. For both fresh and leftovers, I weigh Krista’s portion into a baggie and soak it in hot water until it’s lukewarm. Really releases the scent without changing the texture/drying out like microwaving would.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What brand and type?
She's eating this stuff currently. She's still very timid about it, but it seems to keep her fuller longer. She doesn't eat as much as she would canned, so I give her some of that inbetween. Not much since I don't want to keep her from eating solids.

Non of my other cats like it (they're on cheap junk food. We tried to switch). So I'm not going through AS much each day. Becca, my Blubber Butt cat IS obsessed with it, but she's too fat to jump well and doesn't eat it. (She's on a diet)