Cat Is Eating Twice The Amount He Used To

Tibby123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old neutered male kitten has been very hungry recently and is eating 1-2 more pouches than he normally does. We gave him a worming tablet last week so I dont think it can be worms. plus, he is not gaining weight considering how much more he is eating. Do you think its just the hot weather, or the fact that he is growing up, or another issue? His behaviour is normal otherwise

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
When was his last vet visit? Other than worms (and I think some worms need different dewormers?) there are other conditions where the cat doesn't get the energy out of foods (such as IBD). A vet visit is probably a good idea, especially since it was a recent behavior change.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could be getting ready to have a growth spurt, at his age. However i would probably have a vet visit. Was the tablet you gave him broad spectrum? What kind of worms does it take care of? There are many different kinds, so he may need a different medication. I would want to have him checked out. :crossfingers:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about having him re-checked with the vet. If the vet says your baby is healthy than it is very possible he is getting ready for a growth spurt. I adopted my Casey as 7 week old kitten. When he got to be around three months old his appetite increased considerably. By the time he was 4 months old he was the size of an adult cat. He grew very quickly. Hubby and I were beginning to wonder if we had adopted a panther instead of a cat. His growth stabilized around 4 months old. He is happy adult cat now and his appetite has been stable since he was 4 months old. I adopted Apollo and Casey one year apart. Apollo was 3-4 months old when I adopted him. At 4 months old Casey was bigger than Apollo. If you looked at my cats it would look like my 8 year old Sonny is oldest and my 12 year old Starbuck is the youngest based on their sizes. Starbuck is a very small cat and she still looks like a kitten at 12 years old. Casey and Apollo are about the same size but Casey is longer if they lay next to each other stretched out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tibby123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When was his last vet visit? Other than worms (and I think some worms need different dewormers?) there are other conditions where the cat doesn't get the energy out of foods (such as IBD). A vet visit is probably a good idea, especially since it was a recent behavior change.
He went to the vet just last month. I think we might take him again if it carries on. Thank you very much

Tibby123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He could be getting ready to have a growth spurt, at his age. However i would probably have a vet visit. Was the tablet you gave him broad spectrum? What kind of worms does it take care of? There are many different kinds, so he may need a different medication. I would want to have him checked out. :crossfingers:
The tablet covers round, hook, whip and tape worm - i didnt realise there were so many! I really hope it is a growth spurt but as soon as he shows any worrying symptoms he is going to the vets!

Tibby123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree about having him re-checked with the vet. If the vet says your baby is healthy than it is very possible he is getting ready for a growth spurt. I adopted my Casey as 7 week old kitten. When he got to be around three months old his appetite increased considerably. By the time he was 4 months old he was the size of an adult cat. He grew very quickly. Hubby and I were beginning to wonder if we had adopted a panther instead of a cat. His growth stabilized around 4 months old. He is happy adult cat now and his appetite has been stable since he was 4 months old. I adopted Apollo and Casey one year apart. Apollo was 3-4 months old when I adopted him. At 4 months old Casey was bigger than Apollo. If you looked at my cats it would look like my 8 year old Sonny is oldest and my 12 year old Starbuck is the youngest based on their sizes. Starbuck is a very small cat and she still looks like a kitten at 12 years old. Casey and Apollo are about the same size but Casey is longer if they lay next to each other stretched out.
Yeah i think he will be going to the vets soon! I have noticed him getting a bit longer,so maybe it is a growth spurt! Just wondering, how much did you feed casey when he was 1 year old ?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I remember is Casey’s appetite went back to where it was before once the growth spurt was over.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine are 15 months and they have suddenly started eating more. I would expect them to eat less in the summer but the heat hasn’t bothered them i think mine are having their (hopefully) last growth spurt.

Tibby123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine are 15 months and they have suddenly started eating more. I would expect them to eat less in the summer but the heat hasn’t bothered them i think mine are having their (hopefully) last growth spurt.
I think my cat was just having a growth spurt! last week he has started eating the amount of food he normally does so i guess its over now

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
The tablet covers round, hook, whip and tape worm - i didnt realise there were so many! I really hope it is a growth spurt but as soon as he shows any worrying symptoms he is going to the vets!
I did not know about whip worm. The most dangerous one is heartworm, which a mosquito can carry inside. For this, you would need to put Revolution on your cat.