Cat is doing something funny - constipated?

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that randomly will do this big gasp, scrunch up and then poop on the floor. Before she does this, she is in and out of the litter box a few times. The poops do seem on the harder side. She had been eating wet and a little dry but the past week or so she’s I’ve only been giving her wet food. Could this be constipation? She’s totally fine otherwise, running around and playing, eating, peeing. Would pumpkin added to her food help? What else could I try in case she doesn’t like that

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pumpkin may work IF her issue is with needing more fiber in her diet. How long has this been going on, and did it start shortly after a food change? The randomness of it also suggests certain foods may be causing the issue whereas others are not.

There are a lot of possible solutions, but knowing more about what has changed if she wasn't doing this before is the main key.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the last 6 months, this is the 3rd time it’s happened so thankfully it’s not frequent.

the first 2 times it happened she was eating a bit of dry food (iams urinary - 1/2 cup a day split between the 2 cats plus wet food). I have a male cat so I wanted to make sure there was no urinary issues since I’ve had 2 family members have the issue with their male cats.

this past Friday, I stopped giving them dry food all together and now they only get wet food. Tiki shredded and fancy feast classic pate.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I mentioned the poop was on the harder size but they also seemed to be quite large. Not necessarily long, but wide and bulky. The poop was not dry looking.

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Victor had stress related diarrhea when we first brought him home and pumpkin worked like magic! Victor loves it so I give hime a little treat once a week and he’s always regular. Sounds like your kitty sometimes has a little constipation. I’ld try giving her a teaspoon of pumpkin mixed with her wet food weekly. It certainly won’t hurt and it may help. Make sure it’s just 100% pumpkin puree,

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Victor had stress related diarrhea when we first brought him home and pumpkin worked like magic! Victor loves it so I give hime a little treat once a week and he’s always regular. Sounds like your kitty sometimes has a little constipation. I’ld try giving her a teaspoon of pumpkin mixed with her wet food weekly. It certainly won’t hurt and it may help. Make sure it’s just 100% pumpkin puree,
Thank you! I’ll definitely pick some up

she was just in the litter box again, she is definitely trying to poop. When she got out she threw up. I think from trying to push so hard and then a few little nuggets fell out. And MAN it smells god awful. Worse than their normal poop

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I’ll definitely pick some up

she was just in the litter box again, she is definitely trying to poop. When she got out she threw up. I think from trying to push so hard and then a few little nuggets fell out. And MAN it smells god awful. Worse than their normal poop
[/QU

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she doesn’t get better in a couple of days call the vet. Keep us posted. I hope she ferls better soon

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hurray she had a really good poop this morning!! Hopefully things are moving along