Cat is breathing audibly

Stucker516

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat's name is kitten, and he is 4 years old. He has allergies, and I am still and unable to find the direct cause but he seems to be doing a little better on limited ingrident diet and after I moved to a new area. ( I would take him to the vet for allergy testing, but it can cost thousands of dollars and traumatized him. So I am unable to do it at moment. )
He has always been a bit of a heavy breather when sleeping or when he's really comfortable. Sometimes he'll whistle while breathing or even sleep meow, he's done this for years. I have only recently come to realize that this might not be good. Is this something I need to worry about? Or is this something to expect with a cat that has moderate allergies?
(Note: the breathing sounds have been occurrence since he was a kitten)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Search Results for Query: cat breathing

There are some previous threads in which members have posted concerns about breathing which may be helpful. Has he seen a vet at all about this allergies and the breathing issue? You do not necessarily have to agree to expensive testing and it might be a good idea to have a vet see his breathing. If it is something that happens intermittently, start making videos to show the vet. You can post one here as well although we cannot diagnose your cat.

I assume that the allergies are respiratory? What concerns me is that the allergies and breathing do not necessarily have to be related and if there is an underlying breathing problem, he might need some treatment for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stucker516

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have taken him to see the vet multiple times for his allergies, we've concluded that it is either airborne or food allergies. The vet has checked his breathing during general checkups, but has not commented on it so I don't think it life threatening or a point of major concern.

I was just wanting to know if someone else has had a similar situation with their cat, and if I should try and book an appointment with a vet or just keep an eye on it?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it worse when the seasons change? It could be seasonal allergies. We gave our allergy girl a daily antihistamine which helped some. You could also try saline nose drops, but you could also be dealing with nasal polyps or something like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stucker516

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's only ever noticeable when he's relaxed or sleeping, but I'm going to try saline drops to help with his nose whisear.
I've tried antihistamines and he hates it, and if I try to mix it with his food he won't eat.