Cat is breaking and dumping everything!

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have a 3 year old who won't stop breaking everything. I don't have many decorations out because of this, but he is still finding things to knock over. He knocks over cups with and without lids, he knocks over candles, pans, etc. Anything he can, he will. He's breaking everything! There is always something broken with glass, water, etc, all over the floor. This has been going on for a while, and my husband is done. He is ready to get rid of him. I want to do whatever I can to get it to stop before we do. The other cats don't do this. Please, any advice would be helpful!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Training cats is hard and takes a bit, but the method is simple enough. What you need to do is:

(1) react with a loud "no" clap, hiss or any other loud noise when he is obviously working towards knocking something over or on a surface he shouldn't be; and

(2) make a real effort not to leave stuff where he can knock it over. This is a habit, and if you can be super vigilant for a couple of weeks, a habit can be starved. If you have stuff that can't be moved like fragile awards or picture frames, you can buy special adhesives that will securely fasten it to your shelves without damaging the shelves -- check museum putty and similar products;

(3) More toys & more play. I don't consider myself a toy expert, especially on solo toys, but ping pong balls, foil balls, laser pointer and lure toys like Da Bird and Cat Dancer are good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Training cats is hard and takes a bit, but the method is simple enough. What you need to do is:

(1) react with a loud "no" clap, hiss or any other loud noise when he is obviously working towards knocking something over or on a surface he shouldn't be; and

(2) make a real effort not to leave stuff where he can knock it over. This is a habit, and if you can be super vigilant for a couple of weeks, a habit can be starved. If you have stuff that can't be moved like fragile awards or picture frames, you can buy special adhesives that will securely fasten it to your shelves without damaging the shelves -- check museum putty and similar products;

(3) More toys & more play. I don't consider myself a toy expert, especially on solo toys, but ping pong balls, foil balls, laser pointer and lure toys like Da Bird and Cat Dancer are good.
Thank you! I will definitely do that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Museum putty will keep objects firmly attached to the surface they're on.

Do you play with this one cat often? Do you feed enough food? Sometimes cats who don't get enough calories will act out.

Maybe try a toy that your cat can whack around and manipulate?

TCS has articles on how to solve behavior problems:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
You have a bored kitty.

Some cats just have the kind of personality that requires extra stimulation. The trick is to give him things he can do while simultaneously discouraging the undesired behavior.

The loud clap + “no!” is good for those times they are caught in the act. But when we’re out, there needs to be another deterrent.
I used to leave squares of thick packing tape, sticky side up, in places we didn’t want kitties to go (up on counters, around plants). After pulling a few squares off their paws, they got the idea. If you go this route, it’s important to use thick tape, as the thin stuff will just tear into small pieces which could then be ingested (no bueno).

Really get a good idea of what kind of toys kitty likes by incorporating lots of play time when you’re home. Look for puzzle toys, catnip toys, balls, etc., that he can play with when you’re out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I was thinking he may be bored....I'm going to look for some new toys and rotate them throughout the week to keep it interesting.

Also, thanks for the articles and putty suggestion!