Cat is biting

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted about this 3 year old stray cat months ago. He bites hard when bored or trying to play. Playing string with him or throwing him a toy does no good. He wants to be cuddling with me and biting and clawing. He is aggressive about getting on me and cuddle for 30 seconds, then bite me.

I squeak in pain, avoid ramping him up. He ramps himself up.

He was a stray tomcat, about 2 years old, the vet thought. He was neutered about 9 months ago.

He's aggressive with the other cats too.

I sit with him about an hour a day in his separate room. I have to put on leather gloves or I will have bites. I have minor claw injuries all over my arms.

He clearly adores me, but he's injuring me every day. One time before I moved him into the house for the winter, he bit me in the head super hard right to the bone. He has tried to do that to my hands, but I have the gloves.

I have been working with him for months. There was a small improvement after neutering, and no more improvement for 4 months or so. I can't let him out for a run because he's terrified to go back outside now that he's been in the house since November. (I had him in the garage in a heated feral cat house until it got too cold, and let him out for several hours in the daytime)

Any wisdom on this matter would be appreciated. I may have to seek medication for this cat. The vet tells me there are no cat behaviorists here. She was hopeful neutering would be enough.

Thx!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though he appears to be somewhat tame, I think this cat is still terribly fearful or nervous around humans and that shows in the form of lashing out or biting. If I were in your position, I would go to more frequent but much shorter visits, always bring a food treat, only pet for a second if he seems to want it and carry a pillow or something to get between the two of you to protect yourself if he does lash out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above. The residual 'wildness' left in him, that could take years to abate - AND the possible ramp up he does because you don't visit him often enough. I think he is over-excited that you are there knowing that will be the one and only time he sees you, even if he is still probably a bit fearful of this whole new life of his. Sounds like the emotions he goes through probably feel like a roller-coaster ride to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's actually twice a day, but I only pick up and cuddle him for a brief time on one of the visits, when I feed him. The second daily feeding time is when I'm with him longer.

Ok, I'll try more frequent visits! (It's harder that he has to be kept separate from the other cats because he's aggressive with them. He's fast and gets away from me sometimes and I have a sick other cat).

Thx a bunch!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He literally leaps up on my legs begging to be picked up or jumps onto my shoulders when I bend over to put down his food bowl. Should i put him down then? He seems extremely desperate to be loved and not afraid at all. Frantic to be loved, even. Then after frantic rubbing all over me and purring and kneading, then he nips and sometimes bites and draws blood.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When what you have been doing is injuring you every day and when bites can easily become infected, I would not be picking him up at this point.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try hissing. I know it feels silly, but this is the language he knows for - “No, I don’t like that.”