Cat Is Always Scratching- Thoughts ?

tprior

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank for reading, I'll be brief. Our 6 year old male cat, Homer, is always scratching Any advice or opinions are welcome ! We really want to help the little guy ! Homer was adopted from a Kill Shelter in 2013 . Hes a very dedicated loving pet but hates strangers ! The scratching was always diagnosed wrong , it has never stopped. Regular Vets, Specialty Vets and Dermatologists as well.

History
6 year old Male, very healthy other than the constant scratching
indoor/outdoor, stays in at night
does not use litter box, uses OUTDOOR facilities
previous cats always used outdoor facilities as well, no issues.They lived LONG lives
He does not wander, hes a yard cat, mostly hangs around in the driveway
He has been to a PET dermatologist
They found no mites, not even any fleas. They did NOT do a blood test
He is on Revolution PLUS as fleas are still possible
He was on lo dose steroids and that stopped the scratching
Cat food is supposedly NON Poultry , not special food, made no difference

Thoughts and opinions to help him stop scratching or even reduce the scratching would be appreciated . We suspect overall environment allergies but don't know if this can be controlled. Previous pets( cats ) never had this issue, I am talking over 25 years ! Same house, same yard, same food etc...

many thx

Tonyp

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try treating as if he has all kinds of allergies and see how it goes. Cats can be allergic to pretty much everything humans can be, including airborne allergies like dust mite, pollens, cockroaches...

I don't know about the vets you saw and I doubt dermatologist wouldn't know this but be warned, some doctors do not understand allergies very well. Like I love my own cat's vet but she and some human doctors talked to me like sneezing is always present if it's an airbone allergy but it's not true. Symptoms aren't the same in everyone (human or cat.) I can confirm with personal experience too I have a bad case of dust mite allergy but I rarely sneeze.

I also wouldn't outrule a food allergy still being there. Mine for example has wheat/gluten intolerance and even all hypoallergenic foods I have personally seen had wheat.