Cat Is Aggressive Towards Sister Cat

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Basically my one cat has been hissing and growling at her sister. It started about 4 days ago after she was scared by something. We have put her in a Room on her own to cool down for a day or 2. But now she starting up again with the growlng and hissing. It seems like she is being super territorial about anything she can hide under like our bed.

I'm getting exasperated at this point. I've given then treats when they do good interacting. I would really like some normalcy back in our house because this behavior is taking over.

Help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Do you have any idea what scared her to begin with? Was her sister involved? It would be helpful if you could trace back what was going on right before she was scared to see if you can find the source of the problem. I think the key to resolving this issue entirely is to figure out what happened as best you can.

It could be re-directed aggression - whatever upset her, she has 'transferred' that emotion to her sister. Here is an article about this kind of aggression, in case there is anything helpful/informative in it.

Re-directed Aggression In Cats

There is another article discussing hiding and acting scared - among other topics - so you will have to scroll down in this article to reach that particular section. In this section there is some information about how to get your cat to come out of hiding.

Cat Acting Strangely? Here's What It Could Mean

Any additional information that you can provide would be helpful in giving other members some ideas on what tips to offer you to help resolve the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On Thursday evening they chased eachother into a side table. The side table fell. Thankfully not on them. The aggressive cat, Mak, since then redirected her anger at me and her sister. She attacked her sister many times before we put her in a separate room. After about a day (we checked in on her often, were sweet and trying to be calming, she had food, water, litter, blankets she likes a scratching post) was no longer angry at me, but is still angry with sister. So basically since then they haven't attacked eachother but Mak hisses and growls at her a lot.
Mak also seems to want to hide under beds or tables now too. It is so unlike her. I assume she has a little post table topple fear. Understandably.
When they have interacted well, I reward with treats. They played by eachother with my this morning and then later, without any bad thing going on, Mak is hissing a growling again.... it's a circus over here lol

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is the other cat reacting to Mak's growling/hissing? If it is not negatively affecting her much, I think you need to continue to do what you are doing by allowing them interact with each other under your supervision, playing with them both at the same time, feeding treats to them together, and perhaps even setting it up so that have to eat together some of the time.

Mak's sister can't enact the 'peace making' efforts you have successfully done with Mak, so you will kind of have to enact them for her. I think Mak will eventually come around!

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her sister acts surprised but never retaliates. She just stays put and doesn't come near her.
I work part time so I can't watch them all the time, do I need to keep them separate while we aren't home?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keeping them apart while you are not there might not be a bad idea. If you could purchase two baby gates (one on top of the other), you could block one of them in a room, but allow them to see each other through the gate. And, while you are gone, you could place their food/water bowls close to the gate - maybe a few feet away from the gate on each side. That is assuming you don't think one or the other would be able to jump over the gates. I realize that this approach might be an expensive purchase given the situation should be temporary.

Have you been keeping them apart while you are gone?

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We didn't keep them apart yesterday and they were ok as far as I could tell but then things regressed around the time we went to be because both wanted to be under the bed.
I have Mak's sister in the spare room where we kept Mak for a little while. I read that can help too getting acquainted again with each other's scents.

I thought about that baby gate thing but would like to avoid that if possible for costs. Worst case I will do it. But I'm trying to get this figured out before I go out of town for a couple days. My husband will be here thankfully though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Scent swapping/room swapping is good! Is there a way to place two boxes/beds underneath the bed, a little a part from each other with each one containing a blanket or towel from each cat (kind of like making each their own territory)? You could introduce them to the two containers to let them know that they each have a place to be that is a little bit away from the other? Just an idea...

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can try that later on.
Right now Mak is still agitated and I can tell she is uneasy with me because I'm so stressed out by this.

Thanks for you time and help with this.
I'm hoping it gets better but I am really shocked the issue is still going on.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, other members will likely come along throughout the day/evening and have some input. So, check back.

And, also keep us posted - I am hoping to hear it gets a little better day by day - and improves greatly - or completely - before your trip.

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I really appreciate all your advise

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well good news!
Mak is doing better! They are interacting with caution but with no animosity. I'm so relieved.

For anyone who reads this later:
-isolating the angry cat to their own room helps, they can decompress and there stress can dissipate
-let then cats warm up SLOWLY. Rushing the process is not good.
-close off areas where aggression occurs most. Then slowly let them get reacquainted with that area after the aggression between cats dissipates

I'm beyond grateful for all the advice I've gotten! What a great blessing for a stressful time. Thank you!