Cat is aggressive shortly after move - advice needed

RyGuy08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I moved to a new place with a new roommate about a week ago and brought my cat with me. We’ve given him free reign of the finished basement while he adjusts to things which I know will take a little longer. While I move some things around and get organized down there, I started to move his litter box a little so that I could give it a deep clean (this was before realizing that this may cause anxiety within him, especially with the fresh move). Unfortunately he didn’t take this well and while normally docile, he became uncharacteristically aggressive and started hissing/growling/lunging at me to the point where I had to leave the room. I gave him some time and space and tried to slowly go back down and just see how he reacted, and he’s still doing the same things.

It’s to the point where he’s now blocking the stairs to where his food/water is, and when I tried to give him a small bowl at the top of the stairs, he attempted to run/chase me aggressively to the point where I barely got the door closed in time. It probably also doesn’t help that my roommate has two small dogs which although the cat doesn’t come into contact with, he hears them barking and they know the other is around/smell each other. He’s now mainly sitting at the top of the stairs trying to open the basement door by grasping at the handle/budging the door which is making things worse since I’m worried he could get out (he has opened doors by clinging onto handles before). I’ve blocked the door as best as I can.

Does anyone have advice for how I can make my way down there without risking aggression/injury while also getting him calmer? And any tips for how I can keep myself from showing anxiety? Thanks in advance.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn’t you that is frightening him, it is the dogs and the new place. And unfortunately frightened cats sometimes lash out at anyone, even people they love when they are frightened. I would first try to get some Feliway downstairs To help calm him. Bring a bed pillow with you to keep between you and your cat. After lashing out for a second I expect he will go hide. I would care for his food and litter box and then sit on the steps, pillow in front of you and talk to him. I would also have some treats or catnip ready if he comes out, and repeat this several times a day until he calms down.

He does need the opportunity then to explore upstairs,which means corraling the dogs in another room while he is out. I hope that these dogs understand basic commands like sit, stay and leave it, which will make they ultimate introduction easier and safer for all.

MsPACman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have any stray cats about outside. Or maybe the house you moved into had cat owners before you and he is smelling another. He could be trying to protect his new territory while still getting a lay of the land. Y’all are just in the way of his mission.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RyGuy08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It isn’t you that is frightening him, it is the dogs and the new place. And unfortunately frightened cats sometimes lash out at anyone, even people they love when they are frightened. I would first try to get some Feliway downstairs To help calm him. Bring a bed pillow with you to keep between you and your cat. After lashing out for a second I expect he will go hide. I would care for his food and litter box and then sit on the steps, pillow in front of you and talk to him. I would also have some treats or catnip ready if he comes out, and repeat this several times a day until he calms down.

He does need the opportunity then to explore upstairs,which means corraling the dogs in another room while he is out. I hope that these dogs understand basic commands like sit, stay and leave it, which will make they ultimate introduction easier and safer for all.
Thank you for the advice. The first time I tried this morning he was once again standing on the stairs but when I reached out with treats, he came over and started to act normally again with rubbing up against me. I was able to get to his food, water and litter this time. He’s still a little on edge with hearing the noises of pipes and other things that he can’t explain but I’ve been sitting with him while he eats and rests and he seems to be doing better. I did buy some feliway and am planning to go get more, so thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RyGuy08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have any stray cats about outside. Or maybe the house you moved into had cat owners before you and he is smelling another. He could be trying to protect his new territory while still getting a lay of the land. Y’all are just in the way of his mission.
No strays that I’ve ever seen so I don’t believe that’s an issue. And the person I moved in with did a deep professional cleaning before he moved in, and there have only ever been dog owners here from what he said. He was probably becoming territorial like you said and just on edge with the sounds and smelling the dogs. I haven’t tried to leave the area yet but hopefully that will go okay as well.

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats can be easily stressed when they're in a new place, you can try some Feliway I've heard it's very good to help cats relax and overtime they'll feel more at home, you can also try talking to your vet to see if they have a relaxing veterinary supplement

tlco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello here are a few things that might help. If he has never been around dogs this is what he fears the most, their smell and noise and a new place. I have been in animal rescue for aprx 35 yrs at one time had about 20 dogs and more cats than I can count all living peacefully in the same house. Introducing your cat to this new environment could take months...don't rush it especially if he has never been around dogs. Also hoping he is inside only you still want to get a cat safety collar and put his tags on it, if he gets spooked and gets out and lost he will easily be traced back to you.

So lets keep him in the "basement" for now let him get use to those noises and the sound of the dogs. Was he use to having a TV or Radio on in your home, if so give him that same noise down there and light if there is not windows. He also needs something of yours (a dirty t-shirt will do fine) so he has your smell at all times, change it out as needed keep it with him till this is all over. He is in a new place and alone most of the time so he needs your scent to reassure him everything is ok, try to keep everything as close to the same as it was in your home. Keep visiting and caring for him giving treats and lots of play with you..wear him out if you can. I had a cat that would chase a feather till he was worn out and finally plopped down on the floor panting. The main thing is the cat needs to feel safe in the house before you can introduce the dogs. The cat needs a safe place away from the dogs when you are not at home. This could take months..be patient don't rush. He also needs something of your roommates (dirty t-shirt) and some interaction with him/her as well.

Now lets work on the animals getting use to each others scent. Have the dogs been around cats before??? Very important to know, if so try these steps. Give each animal a blanket, t-shirt to sleep on let them sleep on it about a week then switch the blankets give the cat blankets to the dogs and the dogs blanket to the cat. They can now smell each other safely, give treats at the same time they smell these items make it a positive thing. Smell, treat, praise, no attack, no noise everything is ok all positive... this will take sometime. If possible move everybodies food bowls by the basement door feed them all next to the closed door...so this till you see some "footsie" play under the door.

Next without the dogs in the room let him out to explore the house going back to his room at the end of the day. Do this till he is comfortable in the house with you and your roommate. Now the tricky part. Lets introduce 1 dog. Pick the most calm dog put him on a leash and set in a chair with him/her. Let your cat in and see how it goes...there maybe some hissing or barking from the dog just try to keep it as calm as you can treats and praise for all don't push anything. You can also crate (needs to be up off the ground) your cat in a Kitty Condo in a the main part of the house at this time so he gets use to the noises of the house and the dogs...short intervals so as not to go backwards. He is safe from the dogs and the dogs are safe from him...it has to be a positive interaction for it to work. After he is use to the one dog then do the same with the other..one dog and a time let the dog lick the cat if they want too and the cat is ok with it the more positive the better. You are working on both dogs on a leash in the room with the car walking around, eatting, drinking playing, using the litter box... When everybody is nice and comfortable with each other, try 1 dog loose and let the cat in to act with him. The tricky part will be when both dogs are in he same room and can keep calm with the cat... Dogs are pack animals and have a pack instinct and can see your cat a pray..so be mindful of this. Here is an article that might help you to understant that... Do Pack Instincts Influence Dog Behavior?.

Eventually you will be able to have everybody in the same part of the house without a problem. This whole process can take as little as a month and as long as a yr..... Here is a great article from the Human Society Introducing Dogs to Cats - American Humane.

Good luck your guy is just afraid right now and not meaning to act out with you, that should calm down. Love, treats, praise and play and your scent.

Last edited: