Cat Intros And Personalities

Ghostycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

My 1 year old female cat Ghosty recently became a big sis :) !!!! Her new brother Beau (attached pic!) is 3 months old. My main question has to do with the personalities of the cats and the chances of them becoming bonded. See, the two cats could not be more opposite in personality... Ghosty being very independent, confident, likes her space...From day one, she has always seemed to retain more of her "wild" / instinctual feline side. Beau on the other hand is a complete cuddle bug. He's like a little stuffed animal cat, sometimes I can't believe he's real!! Loves to be handled, cuddled, purrs constantly, and is generally just a mild-mannered sweetheart. Does anyone have two cats on the opposite ends of the spectrum from a personality standpoint that are bonded or get along great?

The introduction process has gone OK until I recently took it to the next level with supervised free-roaming. Up until this point, Ghosty has been fine with the presence of Beau. She eats treats out of my hand when I'm holding Beau. Eats her food right outside the door of his separate room. They're fine occupying the same space when I'm holding one or the other, so I figured I had to let them work it out with each other at some point.

During the first free roaming session, there was a lot of hissing and growling from Ghosty, mainly whenever Beau got too close (which was often, he seems like he just wants to play.) She kind of bats him away without actually hitting him, just hissing/growling and raising a paw. He gets pretty distracted playing with all his toys, but she was kind of following him around him just keeping a close eye on him. A couple times she tried cornering him in a small space but didn't really do anything aggressive, just seemed like she was kind of intimidating him.

I've been doing some research and I read that hissing/growling/swatting is pretty normal, but at what point do you take a step back in the introduction process? Beau is back in his room. He does not appear to be the least bit phased by his scary big sis ;) Ghosty is acting normal, just sleeping on the couch next to me. This is still a lot of progress for her as when I initially brought Beau home, just the scent of him was enough to suppress her appetite for a couple days! I'm proud of how far she has come. I think I am going to try for a couple roaming sessions like this a day, and of course Beau will always stay in the bedroom anytime we're away. I have Feliway multicat on order right now, scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Wish me LUCK!!

Attachments

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck!! She sure is a sweetheart and he’s just stunning. I am on my first integration that has lasted 6 months and counting. Gohan and Trin got a new sister Olive. They are all adult cats, Olive is the youngest at 3 yrs old, and I hear that is the hardest.

We were allowing free roaming after a while, even at night when we were asleep. The only step back was a few times Olive tried to explore and was spooked and chased by Gohan. Once she had a small scratch that assessed (not dangerously so, we treated at home) and another time she tore a nail in a scramble to get away. We went back to closing the door at night for another few weeks.

Sounds like everything is going really good so far! Congrats!