Cat Introduction

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
CATS.jpg
Pips is the brown Torbie at the top and Moose is the black stripped on a the bottom.

We adopted a currently 4 year old female cat named Pips around 2 years ago, she was extremely shy when we first brought her home. Recently we adopted a just over a year male cat named Moose who wasn't shy whatsoever since day one. Both cats are neutered and neither cat is declawed.

When we brought Moose home he had a bit of a kitty cold, which went away on it's own after about a week. During this time the cats had no contact with each other, we kept Moose quarantined in his room until a day or two after the vet cleared him. Moose escaped from his room one night and each cat became startled resulting in fur flying. This fight was their first encounter together. After that we started feeding them on either side of the door, eventually working up to having the door wide open during feeding time. Other than a few hisses once and a while they were fine. It got to the point where the two dishes were around a foot away from each other, neither cat seemed to mind. Once they were comfortable with eating so close together we would feed them in the kitchen a couple feet of distance between them and supervise them after they finished eating. During the few weeks of doing this there were more than a few times they would either chase or fight with each other. Usually resulting with Pips peeing on the floor.

As time went on there were less fights so we kept them out longer together. Pips would hide under the couch and Moose would walk around. Pips is always hiding when Moose is out, and won't go near him. If she is out she slow walks close to the ground and wont take her eyes off Moose. Moose won't leave her alone despite her growling when he gets too close and at first he'd get the picture and walk away. Now he doesn't seem phased when she growls or hisses and will slow crawl up to her. Either sitting there next to her or swatting at her. He's never hissed or growled at her that I can remember, but it's hard to tell whether he's trying to play or being aggressive. We try to redirect him when he walks up to Pips but once he's started he's only focused on her and wont play with the toy.

We try to play with Moose before they're together to decrease his energy, but he never seems to run out of it. We play with Pips a little, but she just had 12 teeth extracted around two week ago. She currently only have 1 bottom fang remaining. The surgery had almost no effect on her and she has shown no signs of discomfort since we brought her home. I have no worries about the recovery, just don't want to play with her hard until she's fully recovered. She doesn't act any different than she did before the surgery was done.

How can we tell if Moose is being aggressive or just trying to play when his body language never changes? We're not sure if we should separate them when he won't leave her alone so they have no more negative experiences together, or if we should let them establish a hierarchy. Is it unhealthy to be separating them constantly? Do they need to work it out?

Attachments

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Introductions can be 1 or 2 steps forward and 1 or 2 or 3 steps back.

I always try to make sure every interaction between them is as positive as possible even if it is for a very short time. Then I try to expand the time always trying to make sure it is as positive as possible.

So we really want to avoid any chasing, etc. We want to separate them at a positive point. SO if they are staring at each other and you can sense an issue might start try to distract them. If you can get them to look away it is a positive. If you can't then I typically end the meet and greet there.

Using food is a GREAT way. You are doing it exactly correct. So feed them together and then a little time together and separate on a positive. Try to distract if needed. If you can't distract then separate.

We really want Pips to not be hiding but to be "up" in the world on a cat tree, etc. Height is confidence. Hiding is a negative. So we want to have a positive association.

Pips body language (low to the ground) and staring is another sign we need to pull back and make it into a more positive association. Getting him distracted when she is around is very good. When a cat can look away from a potential predator (not that moose is but Pips is still worrying) it is a positive sign.

So we need to keep trying to associate them with positive things (food is a great way) and to make every encounter between them as positive as possible. No staring (distracting if at all possible), no chasing, etc. Even if it is a short time. Then we build on those positives.

Once Pips is healed we'll want to build her confidence through play. Really good play sessions starting where she feels most confident and expanding to other areas of the house. After play feed either treats or a meal. Getting her up on cat trees. Adding scratching posts so she can get her scent on more things to "own" more territory. Finally, being calm and confident around her, loving. Cats take on our emotions so being calm and confident can be helpful.

Now to answer your questions. His body language should tell you whether he is being aggressive or wanting to just play. Are his eyes dilated? Are his ears back? Is his hair up? What is his tail doing? Things like that.

I always watch the body language to determine whether I should separate them or let them work it out. Given Pips is doing what she is doing I would separate. I like to avoid negative encounters if a cat is showing a lack of confidence. So for now, I would not let them work it out until Pips shows more positive body language.

Have you done any scent swapping? Getting his scent on an old short and having it around her when she is feeling safe and secure and enjoying what she is doing (hanging out, sleeping etc). Positive associations.

Also sight swapping so they can smell the other one without risk of having a negative encounter.

It can be unhealthy to keep separating them. It is really more art than science. When Pips is standing her ground, being tall, can look away etc then I proceed more to supervised "working it out".

You are obviously very knowledgeable and have done a great job to this point. I would just suggest slowing down, keep associating them with good things (especially food), trying to make every interaction as positive as possible (even if for a short time), building their confidence (as confident cats are less likely to attack or be attack). We build confidence through play, food, height and love.

I am happy to help. Please feel free to ask any questions any time. In my mind it is not a question of if but when they can live peacefully together. I am happy to help you get there sooner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your generous response.

By separate the cats, do you mean move Moose to the opposite side of the room, or to put Moose back in his room?
Would putting Moose back in his room result in a negative encounter for him? Since he hates being in there so much.

His body language is tough to read because his tail never stops moving, he is always flapping it back and forth regardless of what he's doing. When he approaches Pips his pupils may be slightly large, but never any raised hair. He sometimes drops his ears but only right before he lunges.

The cats do not have a problem with each others scents. Pips will lay on the pillow that's covered in his fur, they don't seem to have a problem using each others litter boxes, etc.

We hate to leave him in his room all the time, he already spends a lot of time in his room while we are at work and we want to have him out as much as possible. He seems to get stressed out by having to be in there.

How do we make the experience positive for Pips? She rarely does anything but watch Moose when he's out and there's no food around. We try to play or give her attention but she doesn't respond. She wont spend any time on her cat tree when he's out, she'd rather hide under the couch.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome, I am happy to help.

Separating could be either but typically early in the introduction process it would be into their own rooms. To make sure it isn't a negative association I typically then do a play session with the cat (especially when they don't like going back into the room) and then feed. Or just hang out with them and let them know they are loved, maybe give treats. Trying to make it into a positive. In their room I always make sure they have a cat tree and an opportunity to look out of a window, a scratching post, and comfy and warm bedding. Typically a good play session and a meal will get them settled down a bit (but not always and Moose sounds like he may be an exception).

When his tail is moving is it rapidly back and forth or more lazy? The pupils a little large and the ears back before he lunges is a little negative but I don't think it is too bad. I would like him to look and away and get distracted. So overall, I think we still need to work on them getting along better.

They have never really fought, correct?

It is great that she is accepting of his scent. We just need to work on him not focusing on her, him looking away, and not chasing. So we will have to gradually extend their time together with positive experiences. As she realizes he doesn't mean harm she will be less afraid and more trusting. We also have to work on building her confidence especially through play and after play food but when she is healed and can safely play.

I know the feeling, it is hard to have a cat isolated but it is necessary (and only temporary) in order to build the trust and speed up the introduction process. Most people rush the process and that leads to setbacks causing the process to take longer. So what I do is when they are isolated I make sue that I play a lot with them and after play I feed. I sit with them and talk to them and if I can safely pet them and get them to purr it is great. I make sure they have comfy and war places to hang out, places to look out of the windows, places to go high, and places to scratch and get their scent on it (scratching posts and the cat tree). During this you'll want to continue to feed them nearby and at this point do some scent swapping (getting her scent on an old shirt and vice versa and having it around when the other cat is enjoying life) and also site swapping (getting her into his territory and him into hers). During the site swapping I like to play with them and then feed and also give a lot of love if you can safely without being at risk of being hurt.

Also, cats take on our emotions so I always try to be really calm and confident around them as possible. At times it can be hard but cats can pick up on emotions. So the more relaxed and trusting we are the more they tend to be. That can help a cat with stress. Also, you may want to consider adding some toys in his room that he can safely play with when he is alone. Being able to look out of the window is also helpful for a cat in a room.

So to make it as positive for Pips as possible it would be to try to make sure that Moose focuses on other things and not on her. So if he is playing and she is watching that is good. She sees that he is not going after her. If he is eating or getting love etc and not focusing on her that is positive. Then she should start more receptive to coming out or getting affection etc. I have found that having the scared cat see that the other one is not a threat helps move things forward. I would love if she was up on a cat tree watching him but if she is hiding early on that is fine. And then we can see if she decides to feel more confident and come out. And when she is healthier and ready to play stepping up play will be very helpful in her building confidence. I also talk to them calmly, confidently and lovingly so that they know it is ok. But I always try to make sure I keep the other cat occupied not focusing on the other cat, staring, or chasing etc.

It is very common for the resident cat to have the adjustment issue because it is their territory being "invaded". It sounds to me like Moose is being a typical young cat, doesn't mean harm, full of energy. And the resident cat (Pips) is trying to makes sure this "invader" is not a threat. So trying to make every interaction as positive as possible, no issue as to access to food, water or litter box, easing them in to not worrying about the new cat as a threat, and building the resident cat's confidence is the goal.

You have done a great job so far, everything you are experiencing is normal, I have not heard any reason to suggest that they will not get along. It is just a matter of time and effort and knowledge and I am highly confident you have all of those. In my mind it is not a question of if but when they will get along.

I will help you through this and be with you for as long as needed. Please keep asking questions and updating us on the progress. And please do not worry about Moose. They always want to get out but his isolation is temporary and we can do some site swapping to help him "stretch" his legs.

Keep up the great work and I am here for you. I hope this makes sense and helps, I am happy to clarify if needed.

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So an update on the cats. I've decided to only have them together when there's food around. Whether it's meal time, or they just get a couple treats. When there's food around is the only time she'll crawl out from under the couch if Moose is out. (Only time she seems confident enough to come out I guess.) Other than that we've been swapping the cats between rooms throughout the day.

They have fought maybe once. The first time they had the accidental encounter, when he escaped the room. There were some loose tufts of fur on the ground, but I don't think any blood was drawn. From my memory. Since then it's just been Moose chasing Pips. Usually ending with her peeing on the floor. In the past few weeks there has only been once chase.

I'm just more curious about Moose. It seems like he has no 'cat etiquette.' He never slow blinks at anyone, or Pips. He's always staring even when he's happy kneading the blanket or getting pets. When his tail is moving it's more lazy than rapid movement but it's always going. And like in my previous posts whenever he wants to interact with Pips regardless how she responds with growling or hissing he doesn't take the hint to leave her alone. Is that just a young cat thing? Or does he need to learn?

I hope with us playing with her more is building up her confidence. Will it take a long time before she becomes more sure of herself? She has yet to use the cat tree while he's out.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GREAT that she is coming out for food. Positive association. And if he behaves it is a real positive encounter. Keep that up.

Ok, good. the first encounter can be tough. But it is great to hear only chasing since. That tells me they will get along, not if but when. The fact she peed on the floor after the chase says she was really frightened and stressed. Has it been a while since she did that? GREAT that there has been only one chase in the last few weeks. We want to try to keep that clean for the following weeks so she can feel like he is not a threat and a decent guy.

So some cats are like Moose. Do you know his upbringing? Siblings? Raised by his mom? Some cats are like that though. And in some ways it is a positive. Moose isn't afraid of her. So that tells me that he doesn't feel the need to hurt her to neutralize her as a threat. So it suggests to me the chasing is just play. Lazy movement of the tail is great. If it is up and lazily going back and forth it says "I am confident and relaxed and loving life". His behavior is pretty "young cat" in my opinion. Mischievous. He probably will learn a little but some stay mischievous.

I have one that goes into another world (daydreaming?) when she kneads as well. I don't know why but she is a sweetheart. I guess they just enjoy so much?

Play should build her confidence as will positive encounters with him. So they more they eat together without a chase will help. The more they see each other with him focused on something else rather than her it is helpful. Anything to show her he is not a threat to her. Every time he looks away from her, every time he doesn't focus his attention on her it is a positive. Trying to make every encounter as positive as possible even if it is just a short time and leaving them on a positive note.

I like to always assure the less confident cat that things are ok. So I will calmly and confidently say "it's ok". Things like that to let them know things are fine. Cats take on our emotions so the more calm and confident we are the more they tend to be. Of course we have to make sure things are ok when they come out and they aren't chased etc.

What you are going through is very normal. I am not worried.

It really depends on how long. Some cats bounce back faster than others. They had a rough start but they are eating together without incident lately which is great. I will have a better sense seeing how they respond to the efforts we put forth. I am optimistic and will do my best to make it go as fast as possible.

We'll get through this and I will be here for you every step of the way. Please update and ask anything anytime. Happy to help.

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Just an update/question.
We've established a bit of a routine with the cats since my last post. We get home, have supper, then bring down Moose from his room for them to have supper. They eat fine.. but then Pips usually sulks away and lays down somewhere looking very tense. (We got a new couch. So there's no longer room for any kitties to hide under it.) Moose usually keeps to himself other than the odd time he'll lay down and just stare at her but it's easy to redirect him to something else. After a bit we bring Pips up to the room and keep Moose out until bedtime snack. When we bring Pips down for bedtime snack it's fantastic. She'll eat and even go off and play with a toy by herself, not really caring he's in the same area as her. I don't understand the difference there. Why is she so much more confident after she's been up in his room for an hour or two compared to when we bring him down from the room for supper?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly have no idea why that is. But it is TERRIFIC!!!

It could be that because there were no incidents the first time together eating and his scent was around in the room with no incident there that she feels like everything will again be fine when they are together again.

Whatever the reason (and I will think more about this) it is EXACTLY what we want to do. Make every encounter as positive as possible.

The more confident they are, the more trust they have between them, the more positive encounters they have it is all positive to get where we want to go. You are doing a GREAT job!! Just keep trying to make every encounter as positive as possible and keep building their confidence. There are always ups and downs but you are well on the road to success!! Great job.

Feel free to ask anything anytime (even though I may not have the answer!). Keep up the great work. Really great work!!

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At what point should we just keep them out whenever we're home?

When Moose is out Pips hasn't been playing much by herself the past few days unfortunately, she just keeps to herself. She will play a little with a wand toy if we wave it in front of her enough. Pips will also swipe at Moose now. If he wanders too close she'll kind of hiss and swat a couple times.(Can't tell if claws are out or not.) But every once and a while he'll be doing nothing, not even looking at her and she'll do that. Moose will usually put his ears down and tuck his tail up/close to his body. But no chasing! Today was a bit different as Moose walked up to Pips just to do his usual, sit and stare at her but his time he tried to paw her back a little but nothing more than that.
Do we just continue having them together during meal times and see how it goes?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep taking it slow and slowly expanding the time together as long as it is positive time. 1 minute together with no incident is better than an hour together ending on a negative note.

Keeping to her self isn't bad. We want to get them to look away from each other, focus on other things. When they do that is a positive as who would look away from a potential threat?

Swatting isn't bad, it is just communicating. So if it is a swat and nothing bad in response then I don't worry. That is saying "hey, that is close enough". Sometimes when one isn't looking and they swat it is an attempt to get them to play. Could it be that?

I don't like Moose's body language. If you see his ears go back then try to distract and turn it into a positive. Use a treat, or call his name, anything to distract in a positive way. No chasing is good!!

Pawing back isn't the worst thing either. It is a way to say "two can play at that". Again it depends on how the body language is. If it results in nothing then it isn't too bad, they worked through it. We would like to not have that (unless it is play) so try to distract or turn it into a positive. I often say "it's ok" in a calm confident voice and then try to safely distract them with a pet or a treat. But ONLY if it is safe to do, don;t put yourself in harm's way.

Definitely keep feeding them together. If you think they can be together (even for a minute) in a positive way focusing on something else, not "getting into it" then have them together for a short time. And slowly expand the length again trying to make it as positive as possible. If you see staring etc distract in a positive way. If they look away from each other and break the focus it is a positive. A sign there is some trust.

Please let me know if you have any questions about that. You are on a great path. Just keep associating with positive things (food) and try to make every encounter as positive as possible even if for a short time. Keep up the great work.

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update. Pips and Moose have been really good. We've started to have them out together after we get home till bed time. Other then we a few swats here and there from Pips it's been chaos free. We've had them on the couch together sleeping, one cat on each of our laps. Pips will usually just closely watch Moose otherwise. He's learned to keep his distance and take the long way around her if he has to. When they do get close.. it's almost like Pips forgets he's there but then realizes and hisses and swats at him and that's it. Some fur will fly but no hissing. Each cat would do their own thing afterwards and becompletely fine.

But tonight.. We brought Moose down for supper like we usually do. They ate and hung out like normal. Then we brought Pips upstairs so we could play with Moose and tire him out for our nightly ritual of lounging on the couch. After we played with Moose we brought Pips down they got into a huge fight.. I don't understand what was different from any other night. There was nothing significant that I witnessed to give reason for the fight. They chased each other around making the terrible noises they do. Pips has a minor scratch under her eye, and Moose also has a minor scratch by his nose. As far as I can tell that's all the injuries, each started to act normal once they were separated. We'll keep an eye on them though.

A fight like that really makes us lose hope. Should we expect that they might not get along? Should we prepare to find another home for Moose? ): Should we keep them separated for a couple days and try a reintroduction from the beginning? Should we give them the night apart and see how they act tomorrow? I never expected them to be best buddies but with a fight like that.. I guess I'm just not sure what our next step should be. The thought of finding Moose another home breaks my heart and I'm willing to continue trying to have them tolerate each other.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to answer the last questions first then delve into the situation.

I am not too surprised a fight happened. In introductions it is always two steps forward one step back. We like to not have them but they do happen. A fight like that is not a "game changer" in my eyes. I think it is way to early to worry about or think about re-homing Moose at this point.

I need to understand the exact situation that lead up to the fight in order to understand what happened and possibly why. And then how best to proceed.

So what exactly happened before the fight? Where was Moose when Pips came down? Did Pips surprise him? What exactly did they do? Where did it happen (in an open space or a tight space)? Who chased who? How long did it take for the chase to happen? What was the body language like before it happened and during the fight?

I am guessing Pips was the aggressor. But let's see.

I love that they were on the laps enjoying life near each other. Positive association. I love that Pips forgets he is around. Keep trying to distract her when he is around trying to make it as positive and safe as possible. We want to distract if there is ever an instance that might turn negative. We want to avoid any negatives and try to make every encounter as positive as possible.

I will know more when I hear back from you but I think this is a minor setback and I am very encouraged by all the positives up to this point. It is a process and there are ups and downs but we will get them to get along. I am not worried.

Please let me know and we'll move forward in the best way.

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Boyfriend carried Pips downstairs from our bedroom after we played with Moose for a while. We always make sure both cats see each other before we set down whichever cat was upstairs. BF set down Pips beside me on the couch where the yellow ball is, I was already sitting where the white pillow is. I didn't see the initial encounter but I believe Moose jumped up onto the end of the couch where grey mouse is. Downstairs is a pretty open area, so they could see each other from the moment Pips came down and onto the couch.
couch.jpg

Normally Pips would just have wide eyes, and maybe hiss but nothing other than that as this has happened before. This time Pips must have reacted by hissing, going up to him and swatting him. Moose went back onto the floor and Pips just sat there. After that I could see that Moose had ears back and squinted eyes. I could tell he was pretty upset but figured like most of their close contact encounters that would be the end. Moose usually takes a submissive stance when Pips hisses at him and like I said previously has been good with giving her space. Once I realized he was upset it was too late. There a 5 second pause between the initial swat from Pips and Moose jumping back onto the couch for a second time. The second time he jumped is when the fight broke out. Moose went for Pips and they had a short, loud tussle on the floor beside the couch then took off upstairs. I believe Moose chased Pips up the stairs? They move so fast it's hard to tell. Pips bolted into our closet under the hanging clothes which was when I grabbed Moose before he could also go into the closet. I'm not sure if it would have ended there with him outside the closet? Or if he would have went in after her. I brought Moose into his room and the moment they were separated he was fine. He didn't need any time to calm down, he just wanted some pets. Pips on the other hand needed some alone time as she would hiss at me if i reached my hand out. After a few minutes of heavy breathing she let me pet her. Still a little skittish but tail was up and she was fine for the rest of the night.

Later we fed them their bed time snack with an open door between them. When Pips saw Moose her tail got huge but she continued to eat. They were fine, but Pips was definitely looking up more to check on him. Same with this morning. Other than that they've been separated as I'm the only one home.

If I've missed any info you'd like to know just let me know. I know it's just a setback. It's just difficult when the idea of Moose being happier in another home enters my mind.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it sounds like Moose's intention was to play with the mouse and he jumped on the couch to do that, startled Pips (Pips thought his intention was to go after her) and then Pips went into defensive mode which was interpreted as aggression by Moose and it was the start of a bad situation.

It sounds like it was an unfortunate misunderstood encounter. Does that seem right?

I do want to add, PLEASE be very careful about grabbing a cat when they are in that mode. Cats don't know exactly what they are doing when they are in that state of mind so be very careful. Call their name, use a pillow, just be very careful.

If there is time always try to distract by calling their name, telling them it is ok, doing anything you can do to calm and reassure them. Sometimes there is not enough time though.

So a few things. Pips is still lacking a little confidence so keep playing as much as possible with her in all areas of the house and especially where any negative encounters could happen (like by that couch) and also any areas where she may walk differently (lower or her tail is not as high). Feed after play.

Also, be very careful about having a toy near where she is that might cause Moose to come jumping after a toy that can be misinterpreted as an attempt to attack her.

Keep up the positive association with food and love (if you can safely). Tell her (and him) that it is "ok" in a calm and confident voice when the other is around. Just try to make every encounter as positive as possible and try to project calm and confidence. Like the other cat is not a big deal.

This situation is not that bad and I am not worried. Things like this happen. As Pips gets more confident she'll realize he is not after her but after the toy.

You did the exact right thing to make positive association after the incident and to calm the situation down. Using food. It is great that Pips rebounded fairly quickly and ate.

Pips' behavior is normal. It is her territory being "invaded" and she is still a little insecure. But you have had a lot of positive encounters up to this point and this incident seems like just a misunderstanding. Things like this happen in households all the time after cats getting along for years. It is not really worrisome. The key is to diffuse the situation and make the positive association shortly after and then watch how they act after. If they act normal shortly thereafter then is it not that worrisome. If they start hiding, avoiding areas, etc then we have work to do.

So I would just keep feeding them together and doing the same things as you have been if you think they are back to normal. If you sense any unease then separate them before anything negative happens. There might be a little tension but if Pips sees Moose focusing on something else it will help Pips trust more again. But keep them focused on something positive and something other than the other one.

Don't worry, I don't see anything that is out of the ordinary. There are always setbacks but it seems pretty minor in my eyes. We will succeed, I am not worried.

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pips will walk up near Moose and swat and or bite at Moose, sometimes going into a ground tussle. She will show no signs of aggression before and wont hiss or growl at any point. A couple times this has happened a bunch of fur tuffs from Moose will be on the ground. It only lasts a couple seconds and both cats just kind of separate without any chasing or further aggression. Moose looks submissive (scared?) afterwards. Moose no longer initiates conflict with Pips.
We're trying to decide if that's aggression from Pips? Since there is no hissing or growling but with the fur tuffs and their history it doesn't seem like play. What are your thoughts?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is her body language like before, during and after this? Ears, tail, eyes (dilated or not), etc.

Does this happen in tight areas? Hallways, etc?

How exactly does this happen? Is Moose just sleeping and she goes up to him?

Or is Moose looking at her and she walks to him and does this?

Not being there and not seeing it makes it difficult to know the intent. So more information should be helpful. I would say I don't like it that she feels the need to go up to him and swat (and bite) him and I don't like that he is possibly scared or acting submissive after. It really is art rather than science. But I am a big believer in making every encounter as positive as possible and having as confident cats as possible as a confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked.

Now I (along with many others) don't think a cat teaching manners i necessarily a bad thing. But we don't want to much of it.

So I would really like to understand the situation more.

And also, I would like to really try to distract her from doing this (and making these encounter positive i.e. no swatting, biting etc). That is very important in helping build trust and confidence. Also, I really want to step up the positive associations with them using food and just hanging out near each other without any negative encounters. And play is really important in building confidence. So really good play sessions (especially where this swatting and biting is happening) and then feed after. Play with each separately not together for now.

Do you sense Moose is avoiding areas or walking differently (lower to ground or tail down more)? Is Moose going up on cat trees or staying low?

My thought knowing what I know now if that this isn't too concerning but I think we need to work on this to try to reduce it and to build confidence.

I also would like to understand the biting more. I have a feral that loves to nip/bite. A quick lunge and bite (to me and to other cats). His is a love bite, not really appreciated but it never draws blood I understand that it isn't serious.

So let's try to make sure each encounter is as positive as possible (so distract her to try to avoid this) and let's continue to build positive associations using food and positive encounters and really work to build confidence through play (especially in areas where these encounters take place).

We'll get through this, this is not uncommon. We just have to work on the basics and keep moving forward. We'll get there.

Let me know about the above questions and if you have any questions.

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her body language in the past couple times shes swatted has been pretty neutral. Tail is either up or straight, ears are in a normal position, and couldn't see her eyes at the time.

It happens in the kitchen, which is an open space. That's the only area they usually are together since that's where we feed them.

Moose is usually just laying there not really doing anything notable at the time.

I understand it's difficult not being there. I tried to take some videos of them after eating, but it's difficult to watch and distract them and take videos, hah.

Moose is a difficult one to distract, as he's not much of a player. There's a few times we can get him to play with a stick on the scratch post.. but other than that it's hard to keep his attention for more than a few seconds. Whether Pips is in the room or not. Food seems to be the only way right now.

Pips on the other hand if she's in the right mood will play with anything. She seems to be extremely moody. Sometimes she'll run in circles chasing after a stick with Moose in the room. Other times she wont even look at the stick (or any toy.)

My biggest struggle I think right now is the Pips is out during the night and while we're at work. Moose does come out on and off while we're home. The longer each cat is out of the room the better they are with each other, it seems. It's like we've built up a routine enough that they know when it's their turn to go into the room. (I think that's why Pips is so moody.) But the longer they're out together the more tense it is between them and the less positive it is. Especially when there's no food in my hand. I'm trying hard to balance them being out together, one cat being in the room, and one cat having the rest of the house. I'm not super comfortable having them out the whole evening together, the minute I take eyes off them without food it seems to go downhill. They're never really comfortable/confident out together unless there is food.. Well, mostly Pips. But we play with her multiple times a day, trying to build her confidence.

Do we keep Moose in the room during the night and while we're at work? Or do we switch it up and have Pips in the room while we're at work. I just assumed that would upset her more so she's never been in the room like Moose has.

I guess I just don't know how to have them out together without food. Especially since it's so hard to distract them without.

I'm sorry if this is a lot of information and if anything doesn't make sense I'm happy to clarify.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to be sorry, this is very helpful.

Very good that her body language is pretty good. Positive.

Does she do this mostly before being fed (waiting for the food)? Or is it more any time?

I can't remember, did Pips live with other cats at any time? How long was Pips with her mother?

Keep trying to play with Moose. Some cats like a toy that is like a mouse (low to the ground) and others like it in the air (like a bird). Make the toy act like prey. Halting movements, movements around corners. Try to get him to stalk it, then pounce, kill it, then repeat. Feed after. Some cats will not play and some can be more picky. Play is only one aspect of building confidence so we can get around it if he doesn't want to play.

Keep playing with Pips. Not only does it build confidence it can tire her out.

I am a little confused in the paragraph "My biggest struggle". I understand it that Pips has the run of the house during the night and when you are at work. And then Moose comes out (with her?) when you are home? Or do you do some site swapping (Moose out and Pips in the room)?

Could you please explain the line "the longer each cat is out of the room the better they are with each other".

If you are doing some site swapping (where Pips is in "Moose's room" try to make it positive - play would be great if possible then feed treats in the room).

Often times when they are together the longer they are together the more risk there could be that it turns into a negative. So we want to keep their time together as positive as possible even if it is short. Those positive encounters build trust and show that the other cat doesn't want to hurt them. And when the fear subsides (due to multiple positive encounters) then they accept more.

At this point we don't want them together all night. We just want to keep building on positive supervised encounters. Slowly expanding their time together, using food for positive association and just hanging out if possible. If we only get positive encounters using food then that is what we will do and slowly and gradually see if we can extend after eating time together. Always aware that we need to keep it as positive as possible. Any sense of a potential negative we distract and separate them. Distract with food, play or words. Call their name in a positive tone. Try different things to ee if you can distract. If we can't distract them then we'll have to just separate them after eating. Just anything to keep their encounters positive.

So to answer your question about where to have them. I would let Pips have as much of her former territory as possible. So Moose should be in "his" room more with Pips in her territory. We do this because the resident cat is usually the most difficult to adjust and we don't want to take territory away (as that can cause unease and cause the resident cat to be more on edge). Site swapping is good but we have to adjust depending on how they react. So let's keep Moose in his room at night and when you are at work and keep associating with food and seeing if we can slowly have them together without incident.

I don't hear anything that is unusual or concerning. This is pretty normal intro issues. I would like to get Moose to play and keep playing with Pips and if you can safely play with her in the kitchen that could be good. If she feels more secure she should not feel the need to defend or protect "her" territory.

Let me know about the questions above and if you have any questions. Hang in there, we will get through this.

Datpips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She'll swat at him during the time we hand out some kibble to them after they've ate from their dishes.(We do this to extend their time together with food. As they eat from their dishes so fast.)

We don't have much history of Pips. The adoption agency had said they found her in a hoarding situation and that's all they told us. We adopted her when she was around 2 years old. She was in a kennel by herself but they said it was for special diet reasons and nothing else.

This is our routine as of now,
Pips has full run of the house during the night and while we're away at work. When we get home we usually give the cats their supper and after bring Pips up into the room. So Moose has his turn out of the room. Moose will have free roam of the house until their before bed meal and after that we switch them again. Bringing Moose into the room letting Pips out. So they're only together during their supper and before bed time meal. We always play with each kitty before they're fed. I brought that up because having Moose out while were home means Pips is usually in the room for most of the evening. I just feel bad having either cat in the room and not out with us.

When Moose has been in the room all day and he comes down for the first time he's more likely to roam around and not give Pips her space. When he's been out with us for awhile he's much more relaxed and the time they're together is more positive.

We'll continue having them separate during the night and while we're away. Do you think we should keep the routine of having Moose down for most of the evening between meals? Or should we try to keep Pips out of the room as much as possible so shes in her territory more? I know this is only temporary but I still feel bad having a kitty cooped up in the room.

Thanks again for your time.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the delayed response. My computer died and I had to get a new one. This keyboard is very small and different so please excuse me if if I make typos. My eyesight is not very good and this keyboard makes it very difficult.

But when she is eating she isn't focusing on him? How exactly does the swat after formal eating happen. Does he move towards the food and she swats, is he just looking elsewhere and she goes to him and swats? We would like to reduce this swatting and how it happens could tell us a lot.

Ok on the history, her history should not impede her from accepting him in my opinion.

Ok on the routine. Is Pips just isolated in the room when Moose is out and about? What is her mood in there? I think I want to try to try to keep Pips out of the room. I fear that she may be taking it as a negative. Not a big negative. But the resident cat is really important in intros. And I tend to avoid taking territory away from the resident as they are more likely to react negatively. I do site swapping for short times but tend to keep the resident cats in as much of their prior territory as possible. When I do site swapping I make it as enjoyable for the cat as possible (play, love). ANything to make a positive association. I feel bad having the new cat in their room (so I play with them, sit their with them, give love etc and give them comfy bedding and cat tree and an opportunity to look out of a window).

That is very common and normal and positive behavior when Moose is out of the room. He seems to like Pips and wants to be friends most likely though Pips is still cautious.

I just got to your last paragraph. Yes, I would like to have Moose in the room more (and hang with him in there give him love, try to play, etc) Let's have Pips out more and just make it positive (play, love etc). Let's see if that helps a bit.

We will get there, everything seems normal. We just need to keep building Pips confidence and making positive associations. I know it is hard to have the new kitty in a room but it is for a short time and we can make it positive for him. Do you have gates to the room or is the door closed? I like to go in and out of the room and give love, sit with them, etc. Just to make it positive for them. And of course we will work to feed them together and slowly try to lengthen the time they are together (trying to distract) and having them together as long as possible being positive. Our goal is to get her to say "I know that cat he is cool, he is not a threat".