Cat introduction: glutton for punishment?

swampmonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been almost two weeks since we adopted our youngest cat, Beaker. He's improved in leaps and bounds and getting to know him has been a treat. About a week ago we started integrating him into the rest of the household. He is playful and inquisitive, to a fault. Our oldest cat, Doodle has come to tolerate him and they were even playing once, and sleeping on the couch together. My beloved, Mo, however is not happy.

This is somewhat surprising as Mo was raised with several other cats (and possibly dogs), and at the shelter was said to do quite well with others, but it's not the case this time. He is ok with eating a few feet from Beak but gets upset if Beak walks past him. He doesn't like if Beak is too close. We're pleased to see that Mo generally sleeps through things in his cat bed undisturbed, but the problem is that Beak wants Mo to interact with him so he deliberately seeks him out and will wake him up. Beak will approach him, try to play fight him (I say this because it's not aggressive and Beaker rolls belly up, trilling at Mo, so I believe it is just play), he just wants to be near Mo for whatever reason. Mo has given him howls, hisses, and rarely if provoked enough will swipe at Beak if Beak is stupid enough to sit right beside Mo on his favorite chair. It's like he doesn't understand that Mo doesn't like him even though Mo has made it pretty clear.

There's been no cat fighting, yet, but we keep Beaker up in the office overnight because I'm not ready to leave him out with Mo unattended. My hope is that things will simmer down, that Beak gives up on befriending Mo and that Mo no longer sees him as a threat. We've tried playing with them at the same time and giving them treats, I think this is what allowed Doodle and Beak to bond, but Mo doesn't play or eat treats. I don't think there's a way we can wear down the barrier between them and it might only take time. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Thanks in advance!

*** Also I just want to add that we did do the gradual intro ("positive association" feeding between a door into increased exposure) which had gone smoothly, Mo gradually became comfortable eating with him and didn't care too much about Beaker having full range of the house, it's when Beak started seeking him out that Mo's confidence faltered.

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mo's doing okay. He's just taking a little longer than Doodle. The hiss-growl-swat isn't a problem. Mo's just setting boundaries. After all, he was there first and there's this little guy busting into his territory. Even if Mo pins Beaker down and bites him at the scruff of the neck, it's normal. That's just cat discipline. As long as it's pretty quiet, their ears are up when interacting, and nobody loses any fur, it'll be fine.

At 68, I would probably have issues with the pitter-patter of little feet around here at first. Think of your cat in those terms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampmonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mo's doing okay. He's just taking a little longer than Doodle. The hiss-growl-swat isn't a problem. Mo's just setting boundaries. After all, he was there first and there's this little guy busting into his territory. Even if Mo pins Beaker down and bites him at the scruff of the neck, it's normal. That's just cat discipline. As long as it's pretty quiet, their ears are up when interacting, and nobody loses any fur, it'll be fine.

At 68, I would probably have issues with the pitter-patter of little feet around here at first. Think of your cat in those terms.
Thank you, it helps to understand what's normal cat behavior. There were articles I had read online that would have me start back at square one based on Mo's behavior, but I thought that seemed extreme given they mostly coexist during the day. They even slept in one corner of the room on separate tiers of the cat tree which felt like a small triumph. Poor Mo though, it's like being pestered by a little brother because that's exactly what Beak is to him lol.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its all just normal, especially if Mo has a few years on him. It sort of doesn't matter what environment they came from or how they did years ago -- cats get less accepting of new cats as they age. But it doesn't sound too bad at all, they can likely work through this with time. I agree no need to backup.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The hissing might never stop entirely. By most standards, my Sir Eats-A-Lot is bonded to his housemates with which he's lived for years. They groom, play and sleep together. He still hisses at them when they disturb him. He even hisses at me once in a while on general principles. He's just grumpy. Nobody pays attention to his complaints any more.