Cat Introduction Advice

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I recently got a new cat to keep my other cat company (she loves other cats). We got the new kitty from a private owner that was rehoming as they were moving away who 'said' he was used to other animals and was not aggressive to other cats even when they were unknown and in his territory. Great! So we picked him up 4 weeks(ish) ago, did scent swapping, eating on either side of the door, allowing to see after 2 weeks through a glass door and all seemed good. He didn't hiss and was very interested in our resident cat. He would look at her with no hissing and would walk around with his tail up.We did room swapping and he would use her litter tray with no issue and seemed very relaxed with her scent everywhere.

After a week of seeing each other we decided to allow a controlled meeting using treats and it started well, both ignored the other and ate their treats and then BAM - new cat with no warning ran at the resident cat and was incredibly aggressive. We separated them immediately and for the last week we are trying again with food on either side and also allowing them to see each other through a glass door and whilst this happens playing with them - all the usual stuff.

Now, my issue is the new cat just does not have usual cat behaviour and I can't work out his 'signals'. He doesn't scent rub on furniture and is very relaxed other than when he sees the resident where he immediately crouches down into an attack mode but his ears are forward and he doesn't display the usual fluffing up etc. I would have said it was play if I hadn't seen the original attack.

So this is the background (apologies for the long post already!) and I just wondered if anyone had any advice or any other steps I could take? I know it can take time but has anyone tried anything like the pheromones and could this help? I just wish he had behaviour I recognised, I have introduced many a cat and this is the first time that I can't get a good read on what is going on in the cats head. Luckily resident kitty is not stressed even after the attack which is my priority.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any chance of setting up stacked baby gates at the door, so that they can touch paws, but not get into a real scuffle? If not stacked baby gates, even keeping the door just slightly ajar, can help.

There's pics of the baby gate setup in the article.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Also, this one has pics and videos to help determine whether cats are fighting or playing.
Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? – TheCatSite Articles

It's good that your resident cat isn't stressed after the attack. Hopefully that means they might eventually become friends. Good luck. And thanks for giving the new cat a home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Rubysmama (your Ruby is gorgeous) and thanks for the information. The baby gate set up looks like it could be a good idea and I may try with items we have on hand to save some expense...hopefully chicken wire will work!

With the article on play or fighting this is the problem. To me all the signs point to play with his ear position, there is no fluffing up and he seems more interested than aggressive....but the actual interaction was 100% not play. He was standing side on, he was incredibly aggressive and the resident cat had her ears back and was in full omfg mode (anyone who has witnessed this knows what I mean!). His behaviour doesn't add up, he previously lived with a dog so I am not sure if that's why his behaviour is different to normal? This was his second home and we are his third...he is the strangest cat I have ever met but super super sweet with us.

I would love to hear back from anyone who has experience with feliway or similar, or has had a cat that hasn't displayed usual kitty behavior. I have fostered many a cat and I generally know the signs when introductions are going too fast or are not working and this cat is defeating me...and he isn't even a foster this time but a forever cat (hopefully) so it's more important it works well.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully some other members will see your thread and reply. I've never used Feliway myself, and the reviews are mixed, as in some people think it helps, while others feel it did nothing. So I guess all you can do is try it yourself, and see if you see a difference. There are also calming treats, and collars, which might work for you.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I recently got a new cat to keep my other cat company (she loves other cats). We got the new kitty from a private owner that was rehoming as they were moving away who 'said' he was used to other animals and was not aggressive to other cats even when they were unknown and in his territory. Great! So we picked him up 4 weeks(ish) ago, did scent swapping, eating on either side of the door, allowing to see after 2 weeks through a glass door and all seemed good. He didn't hiss and was very interested in our resident cat. He would look at her with no hissing and would walk around with his tail up.We did room swapping and he would use her litter tray with no issue and seemed very relaxed with her scent everywhere.

After a week of seeing each other we decided to allow a controlled meeting using treats and it started well, both ignored the other and ate their treats and then BAM - new cat with no warning ran at the resident cat and was incredibly aggressive. We separated them immediately and for the last week we are trying again with food on either side and also allowing them to see each other through a glass door and whilst this happens playing with them - all the usual stuff.

Now, my issue is the new cat just does not have usual cat behaviour and I can't work out his 'signals'. He doesn't scent rub on furniture and is very relaxed other than when he sees the resident where he immediately crouches down into an attack mode but his ears are forward and he doesn't display the usual fluffing up etc. I would have said it was play if I hadn't seen the original attack.

So this is the background (apologies for the long post already!) and I just wondered if anyone had any advice or any other steps I could take? I know it can take time but has anyone tried anything like the pheromones and could this help? I just wish he had behaviour I recognised, I have introduced many a cat and this is the first time that I can't get a good read on what is going on in the cats head. Luckily resident kitty is not stressed even after the attack which is my priority.
Four years ago, a new guy joined our furmily. Neutered, 9, and very sweet, he'd lived with a human family and a dog, and had spent time living with another cat in the past. He had his isolation time in his own room, and then ventured out. Everyone accepted him at first, and he was quite friendly. Over time, though, the dynamic changed between him and Baby Su, the surviving member of my furmily (who were mature when we moved here). He seems to want to chase her when he sees her, and she has gone from being interested to being frightened of him, most of the time. They do co-exist, though, and often curl up close to one another on THEIR bed. They spend most of their time in their master bedroom. Elvis has been part of our family for 4 years. So it can take time, just like it does with people. Don't give up!

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Rubysmama (your Ruby is gorgeous) and thanks for the information. The baby gate set up looks like it could be a good idea and I may try with items we have on hand to save some expense...hopefully chicken wire will work!

With the article on play or fighting this is the problem. To me all the signs point to play with his ear position, there is no fluffing up and he seems more interested than aggressive....but the actual interaction was 100% not play. He was standing side on, he was incredibly aggressive and the resident cat had her ears back and was in full omfg mode (anyone who has witnessed this knows what I mean!). His behaviour doesn't add up, he previously lived with a dog so I am not sure if that's why his behaviour is different to normal? This was his second home and we are his third...he is the strangest cat I have ever met but super super sweet with us.

I would love to hear back from anyone who has experience with feliway or similar, or has had a cat that hasn't displayed usual kitty behavior. I have fostered many a cat and I generally know the signs when introductions are going too fast or are not working and this cat is defeating me...and he isn't even a foster this time but a forever cat (hopefully) so it's more important it works well.
Feliway optimum it’s a new version or newer version at least to me it supposed to be a bit stronger I have it in the main room. I don’t know if it’s helping or not I guess I’ll find out when I stop using it. But I figured better safe than sorry. I have had some version of Feliway in multiple rooms since I brought the new cats home.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I would suggest looking for a wooden screen door instead of baby gates just for ease of going in and out of an area. If you are handy and have some spare lumber and screening, you could make it yourself but going down to the local lowes/home depot/ or similar store you could find something cheap. Sometimes you might find an old screen door in a yard sale or flea market.

Good luck.