cat intro

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have been having a hard time with my 2 year old boy Zeke and my 5 month old girl Rosie. I understand he will not just automatically like her and want to play but when she is out playing and having a ball he growls and hisses....he has not tried to attack her but I feel so sad because he is such a good boy and I feel like I have made him upset. What can I do to make sure he feels loved and safe too. I have read that it can take months before he will come around. I am just so worried. any help would be appreciated.

I was also told CBD oil would help him relax. is that correct?

thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you are describing is normal, growling, hissing, and swatting are all perfectly normal. He is on hyper-alertness right now and stressed, so he does not welcome any attention from you right now that will distract him from watching/monitoring the kitten. The fact he has not attacked is actually a good sign, make sure he has a high up place he can escape to, it would help him get a few quiet moments. You might want to have a stiff large piece of cardboard handy to push between them if he does attack. She will test him, kittens only have one thing on their minds, play. if he pins her to the ground or chases her or swats her, as long as she comes back it is fine, if she starts hiding when she sees him, that means he is actually hurting her. There are calming treats on Amazon too, I have not used the CBD oil. I gave only half of the calming treat dose and it worked well for vet visits. This will take many weeks to resolve, but it always does! Bless you for giving that little one a loving home, thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What you are describing is normal, growling, hissing, and swatting are all perfectly normal. He is on hyper-alertness right now and stressed, so he does not welcome any attention from you right now that will distract him from watching/monitoring the kitten. The fact he has not attacked is actually a good sign, make sure he has a high up place he can escape to, it would help him get a few quiet moments. You might want to have a stiff large piece of cardboard handy to push between them if he does attack. She will test him, kittens only have one thing on their minds, play. if he pins her to the ground or chases her or swats her, as long as she comes back it is fine, if she starts hiding when she sees him, that means he is actually hurting her. There are calming treats on Amazon too, I have not used the CBD oil. I gave only half of the calming treat dose and it worked well for vet visits. This will take many weeks to resolve, but it always does! Bless you for giving that little one a loving home, thank you.
Thank you for your reply. I feel much better. I will get some card board and make sure to keep that handy and also I will look to see if I can find some calming treats for Zeke. I did leave her in our bedroom until I get home today from work in a couple hours. It broke my heart but I am not ready to leave them alone just yet. It just broke my heart to see him so upset and she was totally clueless and did not even care that he was hissing. :)

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two year olds generally do pretty well with kittens. (Age matters, it gets harder as they get older.) So it wouldn't surprise me if they are friends within days. A few days of hissing is nothing. So don't be sad, things are on track!

I personally wouldn't worry about them fighting. Adult cats don't hurt kittens, although once in a great while they act sufficiently scary that we do recommend slowing down the train.

Once they start playing, you might worry about that -- a lot of first timers wonder if its fighting or safe. So just come on back, and maybe take a video if you have that concern.

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two year olds generally do pretty well with kittens. (Age matters, it gets harder as they get older.) So it wouldn't surprise me if they are friends within days. A few days of hissing is nothing. So don't be sad, things are on track!

I personally wouldn't worry about them fighting. Adult cats don't hurt kittens, although once in a great while they act sufficiently scary that we do recommend slowing down the train.

Once they start playing, you might worry about that -- a lot of first timers wonder if its fighting or safe. So just come on back, and maybe take a video if you have that concern.
Thank you so much !!! I will keep that in mind and make sure to watch them when they start play fighting. I appreciate this! It makes me feel so much better. I was in tears last night worried.

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE!!!

Zeke actually came off his cat tree and got onto the group at her level and just watched her play. he did still hiss but its progress!!