Cat Intro Problems

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have 2 16 year old male cats -they've been with me for years-- and about 2, 3 weeks ago I took in a 3 year old cat who was a store cat and pretty much being abandoned. I let her have the bedroom to herself until a few days ago, when I started intro'ing them by partially opening the door but putting up a screen so they could see each other but not get to each other.  At this point, it being hot and the need for a/c which is in the bedroom necessitates having the door open a lot of the time. 

I've intro'd neutered males to each other and they're usually  buddies by this point and have stopped hissing. But all three of them still hiss at each other. I give her lengths of time each day in the room alone, and that seems to bring out her old personality (sweet). She's been spayed, too. The boys are even hissing at each other! I guess that's just misdirected aggression.

Do females usually take longer to at least be at peace with other cats in the household? There's been no fighting, just hissing and one or both back off. She was the originator of the hiss-off; now the boys (even the one who gets crushes on girl cats I've fostered) automatically hiss when their paths cross.

Thank you!!!! Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Different cats take different amounts of time.  Also you male cats are in their senior years and it's a bit harder for them to adjust to a newcomer.  Have you tried feliway diffusers?  I would get one for the bedroom and one of the living area and one for the spare room if you have the funds.  They do help.  Also be sure you have a enough litter boxes.  The golden rule is one per cat plus one extra. 

Here is a video that shows some excellent tips on introducing cats.  Food is often a great way to their heart.  Also it can take lots an lots of time not just a few weeks for cats to adjust to one another.  I brought a stray/feral cat into my home 2 years ago.  He was introduced to my resident cat and my large dog.  It took one year for the hissing to stop.