Cat insists on sleeping in litter box

cdl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a foster right now who won't leave her litterbox box. She's using it for the bathroom and her bed... never had a cat do this before! Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
C cdl , One of two things likely - it out of fear or it’s something medical. First, it may be she is so frightened that she won’t leave the box. You see this sometimes in cats in shelters. You can try creating another cave for her, nearly completely covered to see if she will move to that.

A cat may also stay in or near their litterbox if they have a UTI or diabetes. If she hasn’t had a full medical checkout that would be a good idea anyway but especially if she won’t leave her litterbox.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've heard that cats will stay in their litter box, as it is somewhere they feel safe. It has their scent. And also, it's a box. ;)

C cdl : how long have you had her? If she's knew to your home, maybe one of these TCS articles will be helpful in helping her feel more comfortable. But, of course, if you think she has something medical going on, do mention it to the foster/adoption group.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home | TheCatSite
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cdl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
C cdl , One of two things likely - it out of fear or it’s something medical. First, it may be she is so frightened that she won’t leave the box. You see this sometimes in cats in shelters. You can try creating another cave for her, nearly completely covered to see if she will move to that.

A cat may also stay in or near their litterbox if they have a UTI or diabetes. If she hasn’t had a full medical checkout that would be a good idea anyway but especially if she won’t leave her litterbox.
You and I are thinking the same thoughts! She had a full workup at the shelter a couple days ago and was given a clean bill of health. We also tried a couple different cardboard boxes but she prefers the litterbox! She is coming out to eat and drink, and then goes right back to the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cdl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've heard that cats will stay in their litter box, as it is somewhere they feel safe. It has their scent. And also, it's a box. ;)

C cdl : how long have you had her? If she's knew to your home, maybe one of these TCS articles will be helpful in helping her feel more comfortable. But, of course, if you think she has something medical going on, do mention it to the foster/adoption group.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home | TheCatSite
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment | TheCatSite
Thanks! I don't think it's medical - she had a full workup before the shelter put her in a foster home, and was given a clean bill of health. And, she's getting just about the quietest introduction we can give her. I think she's just stressed and I just need to be patient. I'm glad you've heard of this before, it's completely weird to me, but glad to know its a Real Thing.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You and I are thinking the same thoughts! She had a full workup at the shelter a couple days ago and was given a clean bill of health. We also tried a couple different cardboard boxes but she prefers the litterbox! She is coming out to eat and drink, and then goes right back to the box.
I would still try to set up a more comfortable hideaway for her. If it’s secluded and dark enough she may find it more appealing than her litter box. A cardboard box with a blanket thrown over it so there is just a bit of an opening at the bottom might work.