Cat Injured His Tail By Dog, Getting It Removed Tomorrow

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where to put this!

Nick’s tail got bit/stripped by a dog today!!!!! Thank god his spine is OK! Does anyone have any idea what to expect has he recovers?!?!?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ones I've seen on TV vet shows seem to do quite well. Once the degloved part is amputated, the cat is fine. I'm sure the vet will tell you how to treat the stump.

I'm so sorry this happened to your new kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know about spinal damage & missing tails. I’m just not sure how long he will take to heal. Mainly I’m worried!!!!!!

7539EBD2-3C64-4FDA-8EA4-4C9B451EE81B.jpeg
This is Sarah. She got hit by a car at 5 years old & lived another 14 years to grand ripe age of 19 years!!!! I miss her! You can’t really see her lack of tails in the pictures but all she had was a little bob tail.
F40AC16A-1055-44E6-997C-2E2D964B8D21.jpeg

*Also I saw pet first aid kits for sale at the vet. Is it worth it? I doubt I could do CPR or something beyond a tourniquet, pressure & maybe that clotting powder (I have been told it burns.) It all happened in a second!

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With CPR for cats you need to check if they are breathing, if they are breathing DONT DO CPR. If they have Stopped Breathing and heart is beating then DO CPR with breaths only no compressions.

When heart stops beating then start compression.

Use one hand , when the cat is on his side, tild head back to open the mouth and throat so air can pass through, clear the mouth if fluid with finger, then near the arm pit, you start compressing but you have to be fast as their heart rate is double the rate of our speed , Compress the chest about one inch. Squeeze and release rhythmically at a rate of 80 to 100 compressions per minute. For humans is 30 compressions and a breath, but now we dont do breaths anymore because you are already pumping the air anyways when compressing. A First Aid kit is a good idea as well.

The general idea of CPR is to keep the blood oxygenated with air flow until you can get the patient to a defibulator with paramedic or hospital to start the heart with the electric shock .
Also an important note is that once you start doing the compressions you can not stop,unless you have someone to cover you while you take a break until help arrives or you are able to get them to a vet or hospital by car and still doing the compressions in the car. Some people CPR for 1 hour or more till help arrives.

But i am sure in the emergency moment with all the adrenaline in you , you will be able to do it cause adrenaline make humans super human for that moment.

Also if you are blowing air into the mouth, when you blow the air quickly look to the chest to see it rise up and down.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was forced to have the tail amputated on a feral cat who was in a terrible fight. By the time the cat turned up at my house, the tail had gangrene. I had no choice but to trap him, get him to the vet, have it amputated (along with neutering), and pay for a few extra days of boarding. He had to be released back outside, and he did fine. People talked for years about the cat with no tail. I do have to say that he vacated my property, food or not, which worried me, but found a cat lover half a block away and lived there.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nick is home! He got to keep about 5 inches I think (the vet did an amazing job!) His inflatable E collar arrives on Saturday. We are waiting to see how he does with the other cats to see if we have to quarantine him. So far it seems OK but will monitor it. Plus he is getting pain medication twice a day.

You can see his bandaged tail in the second picture.
675A0249-CE22-4C6A-8F79-546D35227030.jpeg

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nick kneading a blanket until he freaked out and ran (I think he got it to move along his tail.)

19900EDC-E6C3-41F4-A683-2155972AB49F.jpeg

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With CPR for cats you need to check if they are breathing, if they are breathing DONT DO CPR. If they have Stopped Breathing and heart is beating then DO CPR with breaths only no compressions.

When heart stops beating then start compression.

Use one hand , when the cat is on his side, tild head back to open the mouth and throat so air can pass through, clear the mouth if fluid with finger, then near the arm pit, you start compressing but you have to be fast as their heart rate is double the rate of our speed , Compress the chest about one inch. Squeeze and release rhythmically at a rate of 80 to 100 compressions per minute. For humans is 30 compressions and a breath, but now we dont do breaths anymore because you are already pumping the air anyways when compressing. A First Aid kit is a good idea as well.

The general idea of CPR is to keep the blood oxygenated with air flow until you can get the patient to a defibulator with paramedic or hospital to start the heart with the electric shock .
Also an important note is that once you start doing the compressions you can not stop,unless you have someone to cover you while you take a break until help arrives or you are able to get them to a vet or hospital by car and still doing the compressions in the car. Some people CPR for 1 hour or more till help arrives.

But i am sure in the emergency moment with all the adrenaline in you , you will be able to do it cause adrenaline make humans super human for that moment.

Also if you are blowing air into the mouth, when you blow the air quickly look to the chest to see it rise up and down.

Only thing to add to this, if you're doing breaths then you only want to do a partial mouthful of air at a time otherwise you will rupture a Cat's lungs and kill them.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor little nick :( Glad he is doing well after the surgery *pats litle nick on the head*

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!

Any advice on how to best restrain him (without touching his tail) & giving him his liquid pain medication? We were kinda awkward about it last night.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Such a sweet little guy! A partial purrito won't work? Wrapping the towel around the mid section and paws and leaving the tail out? I have heard of using a large sleeve of an old jacket, but have never done it myself.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6ECD6FD5-BF7B-4E0A-88B6-0EE7738D3F23.jpeg
There is my sweet boy’s face! He is still struggling a little with the litter box because he can’t stand to poop the way he likes to (without bumping his tail.) So I set up a litter box for him without the high sided guard and tried to contain his vigorous litter kicking while giving him room to not bump his tail.

Attachments

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor little nick, i am glad his pain meds are working for him. I hope he gets healthy again and his little tail heals quickly.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He finished his pain meds & seems to be pain free. He just saw the vet today & there is some light wear on the tail so it go rewrapped until his appointment on the 15th (we were hoping he could have his tail go wrap free but better safe than sorry. The poor guy freaks out every time he sees his wrapped tail .... he thinks something weird is chasing him.)