Cat Ingested Dish Soap

Amser5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey friends!

So i caught my cat in the sink this morning drinking water from a dish that was pretty heavily mixed with dish soap from yesterday. He seems fine (drinking water, eating etc) but he's sneezing a lot and keeps kinda blowing out his nose. no throwing up or diarrhea though. Any suggestions?? I was hoping to avoid the vet on this one.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Some dish soaps are non-toxic. However, I do not know if that is true for all of them. Therefore, I would suggest calling your vet sooner rather than later. I can understand you wanting to avoid a possible vet visit so please call to be safe.

Good luck, please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know you want to avoid a vet visit, but I'd at least want to do a phone consult about it. Your vet should be able to tell you how worried you need to be, and what signs to watch for ;)

I'm not certain as to whether this would be classed as a poison or not, but there's some good advice (and a pet poison hotline link) in this thread:-
What To Do If You Think Your Cat Ingested Poison

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dish soap is generally safe (I mean, you wash your dishes with it!), especially when diluted in the usual manner. Some do contain essential oils or phosphates that would be bad for cats if applied directly, but I don't think a few squirts of soap in water is enough to be harmful. I would think any concentration strong enough to be harmful w9uld also have been very nasty-tasting!

If you contact the dish soap company they'll usually have the toxicity information available, and, yeah, calls to the vet are free :).