Cat in the bedroom?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
dont know, I just think my bed is next level. I put down my face to sleep on my pillo and I would like to know my cat did not put his butt on there.
I can totally understand that. I leave my pillows standing upright or cover them with a bedspread during the day, and I don't think I've ever had a cat sleep on my pillow. I leave comfy and inviting blankets and beds out for them in the bedroom, and they gravitate to those rather than my pillows.

Absolutely do what you feel comfortable with though. As I said, there's no right or wrong, and you do whatever makes you most comfortable :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AshwinR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can totally understand that. I leave my pillows standing upright or cover them with a bedspread during the day, and I don't think I've ever had a cat sleep on my pillow. I leave comfy and inviting blankets and beds out for them in the bedroom, and they gravitate to those rather than my pillows.

Absolutely do what you feel comfortable with though. As I said, there's no right or wrong, and you do whatever makes you most comfortable :)
Thank you for your supportive messages! I feel like an ass about the bedroom, but glad there is some support. I will look into covering the bed. He has stopped whining when I go to bed. He knows it's bedtime since a few days and just lies in front of the door, without a peep.I;m looking ast a scratch barrel where he can sleep in instead if the ground

That might be where your good idea about the plastic covering on your bed during the day would help!!!!
I will look into this!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Almost anything having to do with a bed can be washed, so the cat might make you wash things a little more often, not a problem.
I have multiple cats and they sorted out the sleeping arrangements themselves. What I mean by that is I have a bigger boy who somewhat owns me. He sleeps at the back of my knees facing the door and any of the cats that aren't on his list he chases out. He is the bouncer, it's his room. He allows his mother to sleep on the bed. He allows one other to sleep on the floor next to the bed but not on the bed. Two others aren't allowed past the door. My currently oldest cat sleeps wherever she wants, he respects her because he was a kitten when she educated him. Sometimes she sleeps on my pillow for a little while. She curls herself around my head and grooms my hair while I watch youtube videos. When I shut the Ipad off she moves over and purrs loudly for a while. I hate to think that she may not have to many years left. Sleeping with cats has never been a problem for me. They understand sleep, they are experts at it. They do have a little problem with the concept of nap-time though. Sometimes when I manage to wear myself out I take a short nap. The cats know this and usually follow behind. So I do a 15 minute nap, get refreshed and move on. An hour later the cats are still crashed out, they just don't get that nap time does not mean half a day. It is not the time period between when the bowl is empty and when it is full.
Cats are your companions and cohabit with you. You should consider it a privilege that they choose to sleep with you.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your supportive messages! I feel like an ass about the bedroom, but glad there is some support. I will look into covering the bed. He has stopped whining when I go to bed. He knows it's bedtime since a few days and just lies in front of the door, without a peep.I;m looking ast a scratch barrel where he can sleep in instead if the ground
You're not being an ass at all. We all have different boundaries, and there are a number of members here who keep their bedroom as off limits (especially some who have cat allergies or have an allergic partner). It's 100% your call.

There are other ways to open up more territory without bedroom access, as I think I mentioned before. Opening up more vertical space is a great option, whether you decide to allow bedroom access or not. I know my cats all love having multi level places to go, especially ones that we humans can't easily access :winkcat:

If you do open up your bedroom, be sure to provide inviting sleeping places other than the bed. I have various cat beds in my room, and the cats will often chose those places instead of the bed. It just depends on their mood. I've also found that a favourite blanket at the bottom of the bed will draw the cats down there rather than further up. Sherpa fleece is particularly cat-approved in this house. Spraying the cat beds and blankets with catnip or valerian can attract them there too, but I’ve found plush, squishy surfaces to be enough of a draw on their own.

Basically, you have lots of options available. As I said before, there is no right or wrong, only what you feel most comfortable with.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have always had access to my bedroom. I leave the door cracked enough at night when I sleep that they can go in and out. Wide open during the day. My older cats used to sleep on my bed. New kittens used to sleep on my pillow :loveeyes: when I first got them but since letting them access to the whole house, they tend to sleep in a different room.