Cat In My Backyard

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I did something I generally don't do: A small cat reappeared in my yard that I'd seen a few days back and my roommate and I decided to feed it. We put out water and food for her. I cannot tell if she is a young cat or simply malnourished. I don't know if I really want to be responsible for this cat but we already named her:rolleyes3:. I gave her 3x the amount my cat eats in a day and it was gone when I went to check on her. She's very cute but it's a big responsibility and when I think of continuing to feed her I am really anxious. Where I live strays are super common. On my walk back from the skate park with my roommate, we saw five cats. I don't want the kitty to starve however she's been eating on her own and living on her own up until now. Idk, thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I just don't know how far I want to take this... And what would even be the next step? My roommate wants her to be our outdoor cat but when I think of the costs I don't know. I am not sure she really has thought things through.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! One of the challenges with outdoor is that you may have other cats and animals show up, if you leave food out.
The next step is that the cat should be taken to the vet, checked for a microchip and health, and spayed or nuetered.
Some of this you may know, you already have a cat?
There are decent foods available from grocery stores, and tractor supply which is also online, both wet and dry that aren't expensive.
Litter would be something where you might not want to buy the least expensive because those have a tendency to be super dusty. Litter Boxes can often be diy.
There is also care credit I think it's called, for vet care, I could post links for that and other vet care financial aid and options if you like.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for the response. One of my concerns with feeding this cat is that more may show up and I can't really have that happen. I am renting a room in a shared house so I am not sure how my landlord would feel about that--she does know about the one cat in the yard. This cat is a feral cat and we've never gotten close to her but she does hang around for a bit before running off. She comes for food at night but we have tried leaving food out in the AM for her but she never eats it. I don't have the means to take this cat to the vet(if we are even able to catch her) and I fear what will happen is this cat that I and my roommate will hypothetically care for may end up being my responsibility alone. I already have a cat and she's a lot of responsibility all on her own. We have continued feeding the cat but I wonder if feeding her may be a bad choice but I guess I do feel sad for her fending for herself...

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check to see if there is a TNR program in your area. They are low cost or free programs so you can get the kitty fixed. Fixed cats are healthier and will prevent unwanted babies. If you feed the kitty without getting it fixed, you add to the problem of homeless kitties, as well fed cats reproduce. The responsible decision is to either not feed homeless cats and let them die off, or get them fixed and feed them. I choose the later. We can't save them all, but life gives us opportunities to step up and do good. :)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Pen'sMomma !

If it were me, I'd find out (even via Mr. Google) if there's a cat rescue organization anywhere nearby [use "cat rescue in xxx(city)"]....yes, they're busy this time of year but I wouldn't let that deter me and I'd really advocate with them for this poor cat.....outdoors alone is no place for this little one.

Your roommate is kind and thoughtful to provide food for her, but, these days folks who really know about cats, know it's best for everyone if they're kept safe indoors.

You'll probably find that a rescue org will provide assistance with trapping her safely and then get her socialized and adopted.

Good on you for caring enough about this little one!