Cat in litter box in poop stance for a while

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But….I brought him to the vet and he is not constipated nor does he have a urinary blockage. What the heck? Im freaked out. The vet said bring him back if it continues but what is going on? He is just squatting in the litter box. He isnt leaving. A behavioral thing?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How long? New behavior? You did the right thing to get him to the vet for a check up. Did the vet rule out a UTI or just check for a blockage?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long? New behavior? You did the right thing to get him to the vet for a check up. Did the vet rule out a UTI or just check for a blockage?
Totally new and unusual behavior. The vet checked him out and saw no urinary blockages or constipation. Even with the vet ruling out this stuff, I feel nervous. This doesn't make sense.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I trust he is also peeing as normal in the litterbox too? I realize you consider his stance to be the same as when he poops, but it still doesn't mean it isn't 'pee-related'. When the vet checked him out for a possible urinary blockage, did they do a urinalysis/culture? He still could have a UTI, which really could only be ruled out with these tests.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I trust he is also peeing as normal in the litterbox too? I realize you consider his stance to be the same as when he poops, but it still doesn't mean it isn't 'pee-related'. When the vet checked him out for a possible urinary blockage, did they do a urinalysis/culture? He still could have a UTI, which really could only be ruled out with these tests.
Update: we went back to the vet. He continued fo display the same behaviors and this time they said he was blocked. Then this morning he was doing the same thing and I brought him and they said his bladder was empty but idk if he had a chance to fill it up. I have him Home now. Im getting clumbing litter so I an see if anytjing comes out. With feline pine it can be hard to tell. They said continue to monitor. I am so stressed

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I understand. Nothing is decisive and your cat is in danger. Keep monitoring and take him back if he cannot pee. Do you have the option of another vet not in the same practice?

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand. Nothing is decisive and your cat is in danger. Keep monitoring and take him back if he cannot pee. Do you have the option of another vet not in the same practice?
they are the best emergency animal hosp in NYC. I cant believe i am having this experience. They were so good with my cats in the past....New update...he was so uncomfortable I brought him back, again!!!! They said huge blockage.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please let us know what happens.
He is home now and has peed on his own. We are watching him closely. Surgery is off the table. We have a prescription urinary foos and hopefully we can manage it with thT. Thanks for caring about my little guy 😻

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Of course we care! These urinary tract issues can drive you crazy with worry. Keep your eye on him and hopefully the food will work.

Stargirl0623

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've dealt with this, and it's very scary! You absolutely did the right thing by listening to your gut and going back when things still didn't seem right. If it found a blockage in time to treat, you saved your cat's life.

Fingers crossed for a fast and easy recovery! Please feel free to DM me if you need to vent, definitely been there and know exactly how stressful it can be for both pet and parent! :hearthrob: