Cat In Labor, No Kittens Yet?

annaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have a stray cat that was rescued from a dump nearby. I had no idea she was pregnant until a couple days ago, and then I wasnt positive. She is in my closet and I noticed her tail and back end was wet. She seems to ve having contractions, and has a little bit of blood coming out, not alot, just a little dripping out. She seems to be sleeping, and her contractions seem to be getting more constant, but its been a little over an hour. She doesnt seem to be in distress but i am worried about how long contractions can go on. It is the middle of the night, and tge few vet offices do not seem to be answereing their phones, and I dont have money for a vet visit, as I had no idea she was pregnant! Any advice would be great thanks! Will post pictures if needed!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Prelabor may be quite long even 24 hours. But the active labor pushing phase is much shorter than with humans. Not more than 30 40 minutes max.

This now sounds as prelabor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Prelabor may be quite long even 24 hours. But the active labor pushing phase is much shorter than with humans. Not more than 30 40 minutes max.

Even though there are contractions?

annaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Really worried now because it seems like she is bleeding more

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you truly believe this is the full pushing so its crash emergency of course. This phase shouldnt be very long in cats.

If you dont have access to vet its to pray and hope for a miracle...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry difficult to help more online now...

Lets hope its prelabor after all.

If she eats or drinks. Give something containing calcium... yoghurt perhaps.

annaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, she had one after about 8 hours of pushing. It was born deceased though, and was very large and deformed..
The second one came a bit after and is doing fine so far, but is pretty small. Gingers crossed it continues to do well!

annaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay she recently started growling, just a couple minutes ago, by my door. I am fostering a different mom and her kittens currently that are in the other room, and she is growling by that diir. Shes back in the box now, but does she maybe have more babies? I'm hoping not..

annaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. I think she might have one more? I'm not sure, the other pregnant cats ive had or fostered all went without complicstions, and didn't want me near. I know they can hsve inturrupted labor, so hopefully this one will come with out any other problems.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How is she doing now? Has she delivered another kitten yet? Cats can take up to a day or two between delivering kittens, so no worries if she hasn’t delivered it yet.

annaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, no other kittens yet. I gently pushed on her stomach, very carefully, and I thought I felt something, but since she was pushing so long with the first one, maybe shes swollen inside? Shes just sleeping with the one baby right now.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: What a stressful time for Mama Kitty and you!!! I am so glad that she is resting well and caring for her little one. :rbheart:Condolences on the stillborn kitten.:rbheart:
Cats ovulate after mating so there can be considerable lag time (as in days or even a week or more) in the individual conception; it is better that babies get born at maturity although hours or days apart rather than being born prematurely.
It's an answer to the prayers of animal lovers everywhere that the new mama was rescued from the dump! She is a lovely cat indeed :lovecat:
Please keep us updated! Prayers and vibes that all goes well :vibes::heartshape::cheerleader: