Cat In Hospital With Iv For No Urination... Advice Needed Now He's Home Please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, Oscar is back in the vets now having a 24-48 hour stay back on the IV fluids. :sniffle: The vet is monitoring him every 2 hours to check if he has peed on his own. When we took him in, his bladder was completely full but his urine shows no kidney problems this time, thank goodness. He was acting himself all night, cuddling up to us and jumping around.
He won't be sent home again until he's peeing normally on his own. Fingers crossed for good news x

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to let you know that one of my cats had idiopathic cystitis. He needed to be catheterized for 5 days to ensure he did not re-block. I'm not saying this to frighten you but to let you know that yes he can get better, but cystitis (if that's what he has) takes time and patience.

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to let you know that one of my cats had idiopathic cystitis. He needed to be catheterized for 5 days to ensure he did not re-block. I'm not saying this to frighten you but to let you know that yes he can get better, but cystitis (if that's what he has) takes time and patience.
Thank you. We have an appointment with the vet today and he will give us an update on his progress and what the next steps are. Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
At our vet appointment, the vet told us Oscar had managed to pee twice on his own. He still has a urine infection and inflammation but this will be lessening. He was happy to send him home last night.
HOWEVER, I wanted to ensure he is as comfortable and confident peeing with as little pain as possible so I requested the keep him in on the IV fluids and without catheter for a further 24 hours to be monitored and ensure he is peeing fine.
I got a call this morning to say did another 2 pees and seems healthy. I'm collecting him in 2 hours :)
The vet thinks it is all stress related, but he is a very happy, relaxed cat in general. I will be seperating my other cat in another room, buying an extra litter tray now, relaxing music and have plugged in the feliway diffuser.
Fingers crossed, he will pee now at home as there is no medical reason except for the discomfort, and he has had an extra 48 hours on IV and medication. I will list his medication later :) he will be eating wet Royal Canin urinary S/O mixed with water.
Any other ideas? I just hope it isn't a psychological issue now with the litter tray!
Thanks for all your best wishes!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for the update!! If the infection isn't completely gone, there is a chance that there will still be some irritation when he tries to pee - so, you might find an accident or two until the infection is completely cleared. Hopefully not!

I know he has been through more than most cats with urinary infections; but, generally speaking once it is cleared up they go back to using their litter boxes.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, thank you for the update. This is wonderful news! :cloud9::yess:

Very scary when these things happen to kitties! It's wonderful o hear that he will be home soon and on the mend. :-)

WOW, you're going all out to keep him stress-free. Not an easy task. I commend you.:salute:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
At our vet appointment, the vet told us Oscar had managed to pee twice on his own. He still has a urine infection and inflammation but this will be lessening. He was happy to send him home last night.
HOWEVER, I wanted to ensure he is as comfortable and confident peeing with as little pain as possible so I requested the keep him in on the IV fluids and without catheter for a further 24 hours to be monitored and ensure he is peeing fine.
I got a call this morning to say did another 2 pees and seems healthy. I'm collecting him in 2 hours :)
The vet thinks it is all stress related, but he is a very happy, relaxed cat in general. I will be seperating my other cat in another room, buying an extra litter tray now, relaxing music and have plugged in the feliway diffuser.
Fingers crossed, he will pee now at home as there is no medical reason except for the discomfort, and he has had an extra 48 hours on IV and medication. I will list his medication later :) he will be eating wet Royal Canin urinary S/O mixed with water.
Any other ideas? I just hope it isn't a psychological issue now with the litter tray!
Thanks for all your best wishes!
Such good news!!!
If he gets averse to the box, there's re-training things that can be done, but for now providing an extra tray, keeping him separate and the music/feliway idea is perfect. He's a lucky cat.
When they feel bad or aren't healthy it's easy to let them stay "down" and quiet, but if he acts playful, play with him and get him moving. That right there can sometimes help any urinary or bowel issues to get acting right again, but don't force it if he doesn't want to right away.
The inflammation and infection for sure will make peeing a little less than pleasant, but it's good he was at the vets for an extra 48 hours with IV's to hopefully kick that issue right out of the water. :yess:

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning, last night Oscar ate a pouch of Royal Canin mixed with a small bowl of water and did 2 good sized pees! Let's hope this continues :)
Could somebody with Buprex tell me, when giving it orally should it be swallowed or, as I've now read, squirted into the cheek? To be absorbed into the bloodstream?
We're living in Spain so, with the language barrier with the vet, i got the impression it was to be put 'into his mouth' and I've been putting it to his throat to be swallowed. Looking on here, it seems I've been doing this wrong! The vet didn't give more information than 'syringe into the mouth'. Thank you!!

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I phoned the vet this morning who said him swallowing it is fine! It's just different information from online, hmm.
Overall, he's doing really well. Still licking a little and spending a while in his litter tray, but 4 pees in the last 15 hours and one poo isn't anything to complain about :) here he is this morning:

Thanks so much for all your help so far!

Attachments

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear this about Oscar! :-)

Charlie was just on Buprenophine last 0.5 mg week. He still needs it for occasional pain this week. The vet was clear with me that in the stomach is isn't very effective. She said sublingual either in the cheek or under the tongue and I have to say - wow - not easy. Using the bottle - impossible. I had to put in on my finger and then do it or else I risked ODing the poor guy.

It looks like Buprenophine and Buprex are the same thing. Lots of different forms of them though. Injections, sublingual etc. It depends on the version.

Sorry I can't be more help than that but I am SOOO glad Oscar is homer and doing well.:cheerleader: