Cat In Hospital With Iv For No Urination... Advice Needed Now He's Home Please!

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6yo male cat was just sent home from the vet around 10 hours ago. He was in and out of the vets last week due to not urinating, where his bladder was manually emptied and no obstructions or blockages found. upon blood testing they found that his kidney results were super high. We weren't sure if he would make it. The vet has told us this is due to the build up of urine from not peeing. He has since spent 48 hours in emergency vet on an IV, and after 24 hours was able to urinate on his own again normally. Today, his kidney results were luckily all back to normal so he's been sent home with Royal Canin Urinary S/O wet food and 3 medications - pain killer, muscle relaxer and antibiotic.

Since returning home 10 hours ago, he hasn't eaten or drunk (but ate and had IV fluids this morning at vets) but he's only managed 2 urinations this afternoon and tonight (photos attached). Over the last hour, he has been going in and out of his litter boxes 3-4 times but nothing is coming out. He is currently hiding under the bed but seems very sleepy which I guess is normal considering the amount of time he was in the vets. We are monitoring him but I am looking for advice, should he be eating and drinking again already? Is he peeing a sufficient amount or should I take him back to the vets tomorrow? The vet seemed very optimistic.

Any advice gratefully received! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For reference, the first time his blood was taken and he was hospitalised on Saturday his levels were: BUN 102.8, CRE 5.2, GLU 238. Extremely elevated.

Today, his results were: BUN 16.6, CRE 0.9, GLU 137. A massive improvement!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW, a BUN of 102 down to 16.6???? Lucky kitty that he was hospitalized!
If your vet offers emergency services, I would call them and leave a message for the vet and have them call you back. Tell them everything you wrote here in your post.
My hesitant "guess" (it's only a guess, or a hope) is that he's revisiting the box often because he's simply irritated/inflamed and is experiencing the "urge" to go.
I would however want to see him eat something, and wouldn't rely on possible bladder inflammation as the positive diagnosis.
To me, this is a good example of a prescription diet being used to its full advantage. Is he unfamiliar with the urinary SO? Does he have a food you could maybe mix in with it to get him eating? (He might not be eating because he isn't used to the SO and doesn't see it as food he should eat.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I agree with 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 . Is he trying to eat at all? If he isn't used to the new food, he could be reluctant, especially if he is not all that crazy about it. Has he eaten canned for before? If not, might explain some of his problem. Then, as said above, try to mix some of what he is used to with the new stuff and see if he is any more interested. Also, for now, spoil him by placing the food and water nearby to hopefully help entice him to eat/drink.

Unless he is still very loopy from both the pain killer and muscle relaxant, he should be starting to eat some by now. And, also as said above, his bladder is likely very irritated causing him to feel like he has to go.

In summary, I guess I am totally echoing everything 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 said - including calling the vet.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I agree with 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 . Is he trying to eat at all? If he isn't used to the new food, he could be reluctant, especially if he is not all that crazy about it. Has he eaten canned for before? If not, might explain some of his problem. Then, as said above, try to mix some of what he is used to with the new stuff and see if he is any more interested. Also, for now, spoil him by placing the food and water nearby to hopefully help entice him to eat/drink.

Unless he is still very loopy from both the pain killer and muscle relaxant, he should be starting to eat some by now. And, also as said above, his bladder is likely very irritated causing him to feel like he has to go.

In summary, I guess I am totally echoing everything 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 said - including calling the vet.
Another option of "spoiling" that has worked with us is making sure any wet food offered is room temperature, not really warm and NOT cold out of the fridge. This can be done by putting the can in a small container, and placing that container in a bowl of cool/room temp water for 15-30 minutes.
Another idea is offering this, then petting him. For some reason, a lot of cats will start eating if you pet them and continue to do so as they begin eating.
Research has shown that petting cats relaxes us, well...I think it relaxes them, too.

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WOW, a BUN of 102 down to 16.6???? Lucky kitty that he was hospitalized!
If your vet offers emergency services, I would call them and leave a message for the vet and have them call you back. Tell them everything you wrote here in your post.
My hesitant "guess" (it's only a guess, or a hope) is that he's revisiting the box often because he's simply irritated/inflamed and is experiencing the "urge" to go.
I would however want to see him eat something, and wouldn't rely on possible bladder inflammation as the positive diagnosis.
To me, this is a good example of a prescription diet being used to its full advantage. Is he unfamiliar with the urinary SO? Does he have a food you could maybe mix in with it to get him eating? (He might not be eating because he isn't used to the SO and doesn't see it as food he should eat.)
Thank you so much for your quick reply, it's much appreciated. The vets were delighted with the change in his resukts(as was I of course!). I will take your advice and leave a message.
The vet did say his antibiotics will help the inflammation. He has used his litter box twice today since returning home which is positive...I'm just worried that the amount of urine he is producing isn't enough too.
I will try to put his usual dry food in with the Royal Canin, but the vet said this afternoon that as he's already eaten today I shouldn't worry too much about food tonight. He's now jumped on the bed for a cuddle so he's perked up.

Thanks again. I will keep you updated.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your quick reply, it's much appreciated. The vets were delighted with the change in his resukts(as was I of course!). I will take your advice and leave a message.
The vet did say his antibiotics will help the inflammation. He has used his litter box twice today since returning home which is positive...I'm just worried that the amount of urine he is producing isn't enough too.
I will try to put his usual dry food in with the Royal Canin, but the vet said this afternoon that as he's already eaten today I shouldn't worry too much about food tonight. He's now jumped on the bed for a cuddle so he's perked up.

Thanks again. I will keep you updated.
The stress of the hospitalization is sometimes an appetite killer, too.
Your vet sounds tremendous!
The urine produced can be worrying but if he IS producing, or did a few hours ago, keep in mind he's not eating or drinking as much as he should and that will affect output.
Do you have anything like onion free chicken broth? Some cats like that, but make sure it's chicken broth only with no additives. Furballsmom Furballsmom might be able to help you on this one.
He's been through a lot and will need to rest a bit. When our Baby Girl came home from her spay years ago, she was a little zombie and hid for several hours but then came around and was her usually "spirited*" self.
(* "Spirited" means, I just caught her eating our shopping list....!)

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thanks for your reply! He does still seem a bit 'out of it' and just wants to sleep and cuddle. I will keep persevering by offering his food and water, and hopefully tomorrow he will have his appetite back. I will be checking in with the vet first thing in the morning to update him and if needed take Oscar in. However, the vet said the most important thing is to reduce stress as this is most likely the cause of the issue (2 cats and 1 dog in household, moved countries last year and moved apartment 6 months ago! Poor Cats). So he only wants to see him if things are urgent (e.g unable to urinate).
All your advice is very helpful, thank you.

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The stress of the hospitalization is sometimes an appetite killer, too.
Your vet sounds tremendous!
The urine produced can be worrying but if he IS producing, or did a few hours ago, keep in mind he's not eating or drinking as much as he should and that will affect output.
Do you have anything like onion free chicken broth? Some cats like that, but make sure it's chicken broth only with no additives. Furballsmom Furballsmom might be able to help you on this one.
He's been through a lot and will need to rest a bit. When our Baby Girl came home from her spay years ago, she was a little zombie and hid for several hours but then came around and was her usually "spirited*" self.
(* "Spirited" means, I just caught her eating our shopping list....!)
The only thing I have to hand is tuna, Which he loves, is this safe to offer him? Haha your cat sounds exactly like my other cat, I'm trying to HIDE the royal Canin as he eats everything in sight! They drive us mad but we love them, don't we?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply! He does still seem a bit 'out of it' and just wants to sleep and cuddle. I will keep persevering by offering his food and water, and hopefully tomorrow he will have his appetite back. I will be checking in with the vet first thing in the morning to update him and if needed take Oscar in. However, the vet said the most important thing is to reduce stress as this is most likely the cause of the issue (2 cats and 1 dog in household, moved countries last year and moved apartment 6 months ago! Poor Cats). So he only wants to see him if things are urgent (e.g unable to urinate).
All your advice is very helpful, thank you.
Oh man, that's a lot for you AND them, especially moving countries and moving apartments in a short time!
Had a male cat get blocked, 100%, and the first thing I noticed was a lot of attempting to urinate with a lot of crying.
We have a cat now that will do this if she gets inflammation or a UTI, but she's never been blocked.
The difference was noticing nothing with the male cat over many hours, and noticing tiny little clumps with the female over many hours.

I've been in the hospital myself and as nice as they make it for us and as hard as they try to stay quiet, you don't sleep there. There's noises, lights, people moving around all the time and you don't sleep "well." The times I've been, I come home and crash the minute I hit the back door for a good 12 hours.
I've noticed this with our cats and dogs after a veterinary hospitalization. I think our vets do their best to keep things quiet and stress free, but a hospital is a hospital, and noises and lights and nurses in and out happen. Our pets are usually very tired and quiet for a day or so, but once they rest, the perk up.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Thank you, 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 for mentioning me :)
I have read your thread, and I think I'll give you my whole list, just in case it becomes helpful for you at any point, and for any other readers/lurkers.

Try something here below regarding food for your kitty, but also try some classical harp music. It's known to help cats relax, there's also an app called Relax My Cat, and MusicForCats.com

(just a note, I've seen that some people are using nutritional yeast but I'm wary of this one-too much can cause the uric acid to become too high.)

Finger feeding could help as well.

You could double-check with your vet just to be sure these things are ok.

Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Try making the Pedialyte here;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

These can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, as mentioned if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.
Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I have read your thread, and I think I'll give you my whole list, just in case it becomes helpful for you at any point, and for any other readers/lurkers.

Try something here below regarding food for your kitty, but also try some classical harp music. It's known to help cats relax, there's also an app called Relax My Cat, and MusicForCats.com

(just a note, I've seen that some people are using nutritional yeast but I'm wary of this one-too much can cause the uric acid to become too high.)

Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

These can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, as mentioned if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.
Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
Thanks for the reply, Furballsmom Furballsmom !

It's like you always add to this list and the ideas can work magic!

We want goats but haven't got them yet, but in the meantime we have a buddy of ours that has raw goat milk. It's a hit, except for Baby Girl who doesn't like it. :dunno:
I've said it before, we've used Nutri-Cal before and had good results. The ingredients are not really good, and we wouldn't use it on a long term basis (aside from a very elderly pet dealing with end of life issues), but it seems to give the sick, young ones energy and is high calorie enough that a few blobs seem to help pull them through a rough time, and once the bad times (a week or so) have passed, we phase it out.
It also seems to work as an appetite stimulant, too.

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

• Salmon, mackerel
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
Thanks for this reply, lots of great info. I will head to the shop and buy some bits that he might enjoy, thanks!

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the middle of the night, and this morning, he has eaten some of his wet food and had a little water.
I am going to speak to his vet and update them this morning.
I think he may have done another pee but not entirely sure if it was him or my other cat, so this is something I'll monitor today.

Thanks everyone for all the help and I'll keep you updated. Any further advice much appreciated!

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly, Oscar hasn't done another pee today... if this continues during the night, the vet has told me to bring him straight in in the morning. They will check his bladder and possibly put him back into emergency care with a catheter and drip. Does anybody know why this is happening again? Or is there any hope that he can fully recover after another hospital stay?
I'm so worried for Oscar, he's been eating and drinking so well today and just desperate for cuddles.
Thank you for any advice/experiences.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, Oscar hasn't done another pee today... if this continues during the night, the vet has told me to bring him straight in in the morning. They will check his bladder and possibly put him back into emergency care with a catheter and drip. Does anybody know why this is happening again? Or is there any hope that he can fully recover after another hospital stay?
I'm so worried for Oscar, he's been eating and drinking so well today and just desperate for cuddles.
Thank you for any advice/experiences.
I was sure hoping for better news :(
Have you hung out with him, is he attempting to pee but nothing is happening?

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was sure hoping for better news :(
Have you hung out with him, is he attempting to pee but nothing is happening?
I know, it's so disappointing :( He doesn't seem at all distressed, he's been in the litter tray a few times but it's almost like he's forgotten how to use it and is relaxing in it for a minute or so then getting back out. I'm separating the cats tonight so I can monitor his litter tray all night, and if no luck he'll be seen by the vet as soon as they open.
In all other ways, he seems back to his usual self and hasn't left me alone all day! Fingers crossed for a pee in the night please!

Missyandoscar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear this!
I don't think there's any way to know why, but the vet sounds like they're your best source of advice.
I would say definitely and absolutely there's hope, due to this
Let's hope Oscar can't get some answers tomorrow if there's no luck with him peeing tonight! It's so lovely to have him back at home, such a shame he may have to be hospitalised again :sniffle:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, it's so disappointing :( He doesn't seem at all distressed, he's been in the litter tray a few times but it's almost like he's forgotten how to use it and is relaxing in it for a minute or so then getting back out. I'm separating the cats tonight so I can monitor his litter tray all night, and if no luck he'll be seen by the vet as soon as they open.
In all other ways, he seems back to his usual self and hasn't left me alone all day! Fingers crossed for a pee in the night please!
Is he in a confined area?
If so, check bedding and anything in the area he's in that's absorbent, and check with your nose.
We've had cats before after a urinary issue kind of "go" wherever they can, it's a very, very tiny possibility he's peed on a bed, blanket, or rug just from the irritation.
Fingers crossed for good news...