Cat In Discomfort After Neuter Procedure

Jsara.asad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
18583670-3DF6-4E65-8F8F-D306BAB7EB71.jpeg 0E6468B7-AECC-49BE-989B-63D0CBD26259.jpeg Hello everyone. Hoping to get advice as this is my first experience with getting a cat fixed.

My cat is about 7 months old and got neutered 4 days ago. He was very active and wanting to play the moment we arrived back home from the vet, including jumping on furniture a foot off the ground.

About a day and a half later, the pain medication noticeably wore off. It has become very apparent that he is in discomfort: slower walking, more time sleeping, and less meowing (he usually meows a lot), and no longer trying to jump on furniture. He has been wearing an e-collar as he is still very determined to lick the area.

Otherwise, his body temperature seems normal, eating as he normally does and using his litterbox regularly. I must also mention he is using clay litter as he refuses to step foot on the pine pellets. (My vet did not specify that I can’t use the clay, but I do notice it gets stuck which I’m concerned about)

I am posting a picture of the area to make sure it is healing properly and requires a revisit to the vet... I think it looks dirty from the litter which I mentioned above.. any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It looks to me like something is very wrong. There shouldn’t be anything sticking out like that. You need to get him to a vet as soon as you can or else it may become infected (if it isn’t already).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that looks awful. Take him back to the vet and see what they say.

I've never changed the litter after a neuter but the surgery site has never looked like that. Something is wrong.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does not look right at all, to me. I would try to get him to the vet as soon as possible. Wishing him the best luck, please let us know what you find out! I will worry about the little guy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jsara.asad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone thank you for everyone’s concerns. I brought him to vet today.. the ‘thing’ hanging out was extra tissue from one of the testicles which the vet had to surgically remove. I knew it didn’t look right from the beginning He is now on a course of antibiotics for a week. Hopefully no more problems from here !

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you got him in, and the vet got him taken care of! Hopefully he will heal up nicely now, no problems! :heartshape: keep us updated on his progress!

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was about to say that it doesn't look normal and you should take him to the vet but now I see the comments! Good! Your cat will be fine! :D