Cat In A Cast

vervainandrue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I just got a foster cat with a cast on her entire rear leg. I have her in a big pet pen so she is safe, but she is utterly miserable. She meows loudly every time she moves, and ambulates by rolling around and dragging her leg behind her awkwardly. Today she had poop all over the pet pen. I’m using a cardboard box that came with a palate of canned food as a litter box but clearly this isn’t big enough (I thought the low sides might help her). She’s sweet and purrs up a storm when petted.
Question: have you ever cared for a cat in a cast? Do you have any suggestions re: how I can help her, make it easier for her to get around, etc? Any info would be helpful. Thanks so much.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have experience with cats in casts, and when I googled it, I found thousands of links for the cast of Cats, the musical! I did manage to find a couple of other forums where it was mentioned, but everyone was just sympathizing without any suggestions. SO...I have found that one answer on a thread often spawns more answers, AND I'm going to put out some feelers for some of our very experienced folks as well!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you share a photo?

I've had two cats in casts, both rear legs. Here is Link sporting his...
A lot of advice though on helping with mobility depends on how the cast is on. Until you can post a photo, one thing that can help is the toddler socks with grippy spots. It helps make it less slippery on the floor (or without grip is fine for carpeted areas). Putting a full size sock over it can also help with cleanliness because a sock is much easier to take off and clean.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is the same cast as Link had. The grip socks (non skid) socks will help some with getting traction on the ground. I would do a long sock to cover the whole thing with the toddler sock just over the end.

Some of what you are dealing with though is adjustment and attitude. Link is a completed neat freak and didn't get anything on his cast. However, his only lasted a week before he managed to twist the cast and we had it removed at the ER. We left it it off because xrays showed it was healing well enough that we could and knowing him he would have repeated the twist in a few days. He was still in the crate though, much to his displeasure. My other cat with cast had a similar leg cast but it went higher on the top. That one did get poop on it but that's where having a full sock on it would have helped. That cat ended up shaking the cast off a week before it was scheduled to be removed. Cats are nitorious for cast damage.

For the litter box I got a cheap box and cut down two of the side super low. The one in the photo was the inital box before trimming. One thing that Link seemed to enjoy was staying in the carrier after cleanings. We'd carry him around the house with us and let him nap on the bed (in the carrier) with our other cats. But Link is a very vocal and expressive cat so he'd tell us in no uncertain terms when he needed to go back in the crate for the litter box or food.

If she is legitimately having trouble moving around you may need to take her in to have it shortened or redone for better placement.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long is the cast supposed to stay on him?
If you were to stand him on all 4's, is the cast leg much longer?
Sometimes vets are more focused on getting the job done properly but don't give much thought to the cat's life once it leaves his clinic, so it may well need to be shortened.
I agree with the sock over it for cleanliness, it will really help!

Might try allowing him out of the pen, he will not be carrying on as he is stuck in the pen and unable to circulate, even if it means he drags his leg behind him.

If he must have very limited movement for some reason then I would ask for a mild calming remedy from the vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~sits back and heaves a sigh of relief~ Thanks, guys, I was so at a loss...with all the animals, both cats and dogs, I've had over the last 65 years, NOT ONE OF THEM broke a limb!