Cat I’m Looking After Has Eaten/opened Pouches

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Looking after a cat at the moment just popping in everyday to spend time and to feed the cat etc.

Walked in the kitchen and the cat has only gone and tore open the food pouches.

Should I be worried? Obviously anything big she wouldn’t have swallowed/choked on them but will little bits be ok?

She is fine playful, eating still and drinking.

I’m just concerned that they could cut her stomach or something.

Advice please? Should I keep an eye on her and see if she still uses her little tray and eats for a couple of days and if she doesn’t take her the vet? She is a little sod
Many thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I take it you are cat-sitting? If that is the case, contact the owners and ask if she has done this before? It is possible that she has. And, you can take and follow their wishes on how to handle the situation.

I used to have a cat that would open his own food pouches and eat from them. But, those pouches were the old Tender Vittles and were mostly made of paper - although I am sure the lining was more than that. He also knew how to open them to the point that he hardly touched the container, but rather just the food inside.

What materials comprise the bags? That will make a big difference on how worried to get.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take it you are cat-sitting? If that is the case, contact the owners and ask if she has done this before? It is possible that she has. And, you can take and follow their wishes on how to handle the situation.

I used to have a cat that would open his own food pouches and eat from them. But, those pouches were the old Tender Vittles and were mostly made of paper - although I am sure the lining was more than that. He also knew how to open them to the point that he hardly touched the container, but rather just the food inside.

What materials comprise the bags? That will make a big difference on how worried to get.
It looks like plastic/foil there’s loads of of it everywhere as you can see from the pictures so I’m hoping she has been clever enough to just rip it apart and eat the food. Yeah watching her for family apparently she is a proper naughty cat, runs the household I think.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, what a naughty kitty! And she knows she got you, too, from her picture :D.

I don't think she ate any of the foil. It looks like she's done it before and knows how to get the food out. Of course you should always keep an eye on her eating and litterbox usage, but you shouldn't have to do anything special.

Try putting the rest of the packets in the microwave or breadbox or other place she can't get to it. She's bored with her humans gone, and will probably shred the rest of them just for fun, even if she doesn't usually do that when her humans are at home.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looks like the cat has taken things in her own paws. She’ll darn well eat when she feels like it, never mind the two-legs! :redtongue: Yes, do put the packets where she can’t get to them. That means behind a locked door. Some cats will perform prodigious feats of jumping to get at yummy things. Good luck with your feline adversary ;)