cat ignores all scratching posts/pads

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old cat is ignoring all scratching posts and pads we offer him. I watched him excitedly scratch the sofa literally centimeters away from the pad that was set up against the sofa.... and he knows what the standalone post is for, he's dug his nails into it while I lure him with a toy. and there's a more stable set of posts on a small cat tree...

He's not the biggest cat. 8 or 8.5 lbs, but he's a powerhouse and while small is all muscle. he scratches our (old, thankfully) rug and (very old) rough-weave sofa. he cannot push over the cat tree, nor the solo post if it's propped against a coffee table.

We've moved stuff around, in front of different things, in the areas he loves to scratch... we've rubbed catnip all over them. put treats on them. lured with toys.

He doesn't 'get it'. we're saying "please scratch these" and he still goes for the upholstery. is it possible he doesn't like sisal rope, despite enjoying scratching tree trunks outside? I would have preferred to teach him to scratch rope rather than encourage fabric scratching.

I should also mention I've "scratched" the posts and pad while he watched me do it. This taught my previous cat what it's for. No go with him...

not sure what else to do.

thanks in advance for ideas.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I totally get your frustration, as my Ruby also will scratch the sofa, even with me sitting right there saying "no, no, no". And she has many scratching posts that she will use, however, she seems to like the sofa. :sigh:

I actually ended up putting aluminum foil (yes, the kitchen stuff) over the tops of the sofa back, to stop her scratching there, but haven't worked out a solution for the front side of the cushions yet.

TCS has these 2 articles that might have tips that could work for you:
How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture – TheCatSite Articles
23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture – TheCatSite Articles

Not sure about Feliscratch, in fact I've never heard of it. Wonder if it works. :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I totally get your frustration, as my Ruby also will scratch the sofa, even with me sitting right there saying "no, no, no". And she has many scratching posts that she will use, however, she seems to like the sofa. :sigh:

I actually ended up putting aluminum foil (yes, the kitchen stuff) over the tops of the sofa back, to stop her scratching there, but haven't worked out a solution for the front side of the cushions yet.

TCS has these 2 articles that might have tips that could work for you:
How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture – TheCatSite Articles
23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture – TheCatSite Articles

Not sure about Feliscratch, in fact I've never heard of it. Wonder if it works. :dunno:
Thanks for the links, I didn't see that first one.

For the fronts of furniture, we've tried draping a blanket (soft, unexciting for a cat) over the cushion and having it dangle over the front and that deterred him immediately from scratching that (exciting upholstered) chair.
I'm considering getting that anti-scratch tape to train him.

I had some Feliway spray left, and according to them it STOPS them wanting to scratch where it's sprayed.... so now all his favorite spots are sprayed with Feliway.

I read that Feliscratch doesn't work a lot of times AND stains your posts and pads blue, so I'm avoiding. I have a lot of catnip so I might just keep trying that...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats do have a preference of type of material. Some prefer carpet, some love cardboard, and some sisal. If he likes bark...perhaps hard cardboard would be better, and if he likes the rough weave sofa, carpet might be better for him.
Does he always scratch the same place on the sofa? Perhaps affix one of the face rubbing things on the area of the sofa. He may then start to mark his scent with his face rather than his claws.
I was lucky, all I had to do to stop them from scratching certain things was to place a scratch post or cardboard box in front of it. And they now only scratch those, even if I move them to a different location.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For the fronts of furniture, we've tried draping a blanket (soft, unexciting for a cat) over the cushion and having it dangle over the front and that deterred him immediately from scratching that (exciting upholstered) chair.
I'm considering getting that anti-scratch tape to train him.
I usually have a throw on the sofa during winter time, which does tend to hang over the cushion and deter scratching, but as soon she sees a bare spot, the claws come out. ;) And I'm pretty sure she knows not to scratch there, but it must just be the purrfect height/material.

I read that Feliscratch doesn't work a lot of times AND stains your posts and pads blue, so I'm avoiding.
Oh that doesn't sound good. Guess I will also avoid.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try putting double sided tape on the areas he scratches until he has broken the habit. Are you able to cover the scratch pads with material as this seems to be his favourite texture. Wrap it around and hold it on with sellotape or something similar.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How annoying! I have a similar problem with one of my cats. She uses the cat trees and a long scratching post most of the time. But .... certainly not always. My present theory is that she scratches the furniture (wood, leather, fabric) and the doors and wallpaper to get attention. Whenever I sit down at the dining room table to eat, read a book, or surf, off she goes looking for an uncovered corner of one of the sofas or any unprotected area and starts tearing at it with all her might! The loudest "No!" produces no response and even trying to chase her just leaves her staring at me from some corner where she knows I can't reach her. All my sofas are protected with monstrous, ugly throws, but she finds a spot where she can get under the throw to have the time of her life. She even lies on her back to tear at the underside of one of my easy chairs.

My present reaction (my last hope) is to ignore her. The damage has already been done and, hopefully, she will eventually stop (PLEASE!!!) so that I can redecorate and buy new furniture. My living room has one high cat tree, 2 smaller ones, and a scratching post. Using a cat deterrent on my 3 sofas is just not on, as I cannot bear the smell myself!

So Megan, scratch as much as you like - I take deep breaths and hold my tongue. Unfortunately, other members of the household will jump up and scream at her, but I think she's trying to get at me!

I wish you every success - let us know how you get on.

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats do have a preference of type of material. Some prefer carpet, some love cardboard, and some sisal. If he likes bark...perhaps hard cardboard would be better, and if he likes the rough weave sofa, carpet might be better for him.
Does he always scratch the same place on the sofa? Perhaps affix one of the face rubbing things on the area of the sofa. He may then start to mark his scent with his face rather than his claws.
I was lucky, all I had to do to stop them from scratching certain things was to place a scratch post or cardboard box in front of it. And they now only scratch those, even if I move them to a different location.
Our next move may be to bring inside a branch or log for him!

I almost bought a scratching post that had 3 types of posts--sissal, wood, and carpet--but it was so poorly made I couldn't stomach paying $40 for it.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I tried Feliscratch in an attempt to attract Mocha to the beautiful, expensive scratching post I bought for her, and it didn’t work. She still ignored it. And yes, it stained it blue. (I ended up donating it to a shelter.)

Feliway spray, however, has discouraged her from scratching places I don’t want her to scratch like the sofa, certain chairs, and some of the area rugs. She really does like and use the (thankfully inexpensive) scratchers I have around the house, but every once in awhile, she’ll go back to a rug or the sofa. Then I just lightly spray the item, and she ignores it again for a couple of months. I did have to use the spray daily for a couple of months when I first adopted her until she learned to use her scratchers.

She usually prefers to scratch vertically, but there is one mat in front of the back door that she seems to like. I let her have her way with it because it wasn’t expensive and is easily replaced.

Mayflower, a kitty I had years ago, loved cardboard scratchers placed flat on the floor. She used them exclusively after I put double-sided tape on the edges of the furniture she tried out after I adopted her. This was in pre-Feliway days.

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried Feliscratch in an attempt to attract Mocha to the beautiful, expensive scratching post I bought for her, and it didn’t work. She still ignored it. And yes, it stained it blue. (I ended up donating it to a shelter.)

Feliway spray, however, has discouraged her from scratching places I don’t want her to scratch like the sofa, certain chairs, and some of the area rugs. She really does like and use the (thankfully inexpensive) scratchers I have around the house, but every once in awhile, she’ll go back to a rug or the sofa. Then I just lightly spray the item, and she ignores it again for a couple of months. I did have to use the spray daily for a couple of months when I first adopted her until she learned to use her scratchers.

She usually prefers to scratch vertically, but there is one mat in front of the back door that she seems to like. I let her have her way with it because it wasn’t expensive and is easily replaced.

Mayflower, a kitty I had years ago, loved cardboard scratchers placed flat on the floor. She used them exclusively after I put double-sided tape on the edges of the furniture she tried out after I adopted her. This was in pre-Feliway days.
Thank you for this. I actually did spray Feliway this morning on his favorite spots including an area of carpet. And I rearranged a few things. AND I put a blanket on the side of a sofa he likes to scratch and then put the scratching pad in front of the blanket. Hoping he takes the hint.

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
some success: I tied a catnip mouse that's secured to a very thick cotton string to the stop of a scratching post. He's started to bat at it, and because he can't take it, he sinks his claws into the post. No scratching. But progress? maybe? :lol: