Cat Hypertensive Amlodipine

debbiedis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi- We rescued a cat last week in a busy parking lot. Its said she was coward in the corner for hours before she was picked up. As soon as I saw her I knew she was blind. We took her to the vet and he did bloodwork and took her BP which was 250. Her bloodwork came back with elevated kidney values too. Vet put her on 5mg once a day of amlodipine. Said hes going to his her hard a 1st to get it down then lower the dose if needed. He examined her eyes and said the pupils are reactive and the retina doesn't appear to be detachment. He believes lowering her BP will lower her kidney values and possibly restore vision, but we're unsure how long the vision loss has been. Recheck BP and bloodwork in 2 weeks. So questions...
1. is 5mg Amlodipine too high? she's been on it since Saturday and isn't acting any different
2. whats the window on vision recovery if it were to come back

Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know if the dosage is too high or not, but I would have thought perhaps the vet would want to check her BP a little more frequently than just again in 2 weeks. Did the vet tell you what to look for in terms of her BP going too low?

I also hope they took the BP multiple times while she was there - it is usually necessary in order to determine an 'average' BP, since cats are just like people and tend to have an elevated BP when arriving at a doctor's office.

Also, I have heard that an ACE inhibitor might be given in tandem with this med to help prevent further kidney damage. You might just want to ask your vet about that - just as a curiosity question, if nothing else.

If her retina is not detached, there is a better chance of her regaining eyesight, but I honestly have no idea how long that might take - sorry. Did the vet give you any ideas about this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debbiedis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im actually taking her back in tonight for a bp reading. I bought an at home one but don't feel confident in the results and after googling and seeing the recommended dose I called to bring her in tonight. I'm not sure how many reading we taken at each visit. but she was at an ER vet earlier in the day and it was 250 then that night at the other he said it was 240.

He didn't give a time frame on the vision though. But I've been goggling exhaustively about all of this. I also have her test results I can upload too if someone can decipher them?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am glad to hear that she is going to get more routine BP readings done. Perhaps, the vet's office can advice you what to buy and teach you how to take BP at home? Just a thought...

You can load the tests, but I am not sure anyone here would know what we were looking at. What kind of tests are you talking about?

debbiedis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its the bloodwork results

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am pretty good at reading those, so sure upload them. But, also tell me what you are concerned about with the results. I am not clear - the kidney levels, something else?

debbiedis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her for a BP recheck tonight. 5 readings 155, down from 250 on Friday night. And got some clarity. She’s actually on 1.25mg of Amlodipine not 5mg. The pharmacist told me the wrong thing.

debbiedis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Samantha’s been on the meds for a week now and no sign of vision returning . Did we miss that window?