Cat howling at me when I go outside

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all.
I have a just turned 1 year old cat named Tormund. He is absolutely the sweetest and happiest boy I've ever had. I rescued him at about 12 weeks old. He was a 2lb sickly feral kitten who had been attacked by a large dog. So we've been through some things together.
I have a large catio outside where they cats can go out and watch birds and sunbathing. I do a lot of gardening back there.
Everytime I go out to garden in the backyard I hear Tormund calling a very loud distress meow. Sometimes I ignore him because I've learned he is not at all in trouble. When I used to come back he runs towards me and immediately starts twining against the screen.
Outside of this COVID stuff I go to work everyday. He has his feline and canine BFFs with him, and sometimes my husband. How can I get him to chill out about me being 50 feet away from him?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure he just wants to be out there with you, digging up everything you've just planted, rolling in the earth! A pair of cats who I fostered as kittens, follow their owners when they go out walking. When they visit neighbours they sit and wait until it's time for everybody to go home. My cat in England used to walk to the end of the road with me when I went shopping and meet me there when I returned. My sister's cat unfortunately tries to follow her when she walks the dogs. Cats are not obedient when it comes to crossing main roads!

So, a cat left to its own devices may decide it wants to follow you into the garden. I don't think it's a big issue, He was found outside so he may still remember what he's now missing. However, he will calm down and learn that the garden is out of bounds. Until then, for you it will be rather nerve-wracking trying not to listen to his screaming.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all.
I have a just turned 1 year old cat named Tormund. He is absolutely the sweetest and happiest boy I've ever had. I rescued him at about 12 weeks old. He was a 2lb sickly feral kitten who had been attacked by a large dog. So we've been through some things together.
I have a large catio outside where they cats can go out and watch birds and sunbathing. I do a lot of gardening back there.
Everytime I go out to garden in the backyard I hear Tormund calling a very loud distress meow. Sometimes I ignore him because I've learned he is not at all in trouble. When I used to come back he runs towards me and immediately starts twining against the screen.
Outside of this COVID stuff I go to work everyday. He has his feline and canine BFFs with him, and sometimes my husband. How can I get him to chill out about me being 50 feet away from him?
Could you try harness walking him daily to get him to be less insecure? Definitely don't let him freeroam or out without a harness.
Otherwise try playing calming music when you leave. Specter likes animal crossing rainy and snowy mixes. Feeding into the behavior will reinforce it, so try to ignore the crying.