Cat Hit By A Car, No Money For Vet. Help!

sswann2nd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'll cut right to the chase-
I was driving home and the car in front of me hit a cat. It was still alive but both hind legs seem to be broken. I live about a mile from where it was hit so i put the cat in a box and took it home because i didn't want to leave it unattended. It's currently in my back yard in a big lawn mower box. This all happened about 10 hours ago. Her breathing seems to have calmed down and she ate some soft cat food and drank some water but I know for sure she can't walk on her back legs. She isn't my cat and I don't have any money to take her to an emergency clinic. The SPCA is closed until Monday (it's Saturday). I don't want her to suffer and I know that the SPCA will probably put her down. I'm just looking for some advice as to what I can do for her. I don't know what the best plan of action would be and again, I don't have the money to get professional treatment. She is pretty freaked out and doesn't know who I am so she's a bit aggressive. I haven't tried petting her or anything, just put food and water down and she tried to bite me. I feel so bad for her, any advice would help! Thank you

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty! Can you contact an emergency vet and explain the situation? Maybe they will treat it and release it to the humane society on Monday? At least they could scan her to see if she is microchipped to contact her owner. Poor baby!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't put her in the backyard if other animals can reach her, since she can't walk. I would contact the Humane Society in your town, they would know what to do.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
some vets accept "Good samaritan" animals, call around and explain. see if they can help. They may say you need to surrender the cat to them and they'll treat and release to a shelter.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for rescuing that poor cat! If your area has a NextDoor or similar forum, you might get local input. I would offer the kitty electrolyte replacer to help prevent shock. Quiet and warmth are essential but depending on your area, heat must be monitored. Also, I would look at cat rescues in your state and ask their advice. FB also has transport volunteers and they might just have that "magic" connection. ( I once drove 400+ miles to San Diego on a family matter; on the way to the hotel, I rescued a street cat with an injured leg, matted and emaciated. It was Sunday evening. I could not afford the emergency vets, the shelter would take her in for free but Tues was the earliest medical attention. My home vet agreed to see her before normal hours on Monday so back on the road I went, driving thru the night, doing a truckers California turn-around. By 6am, the cat was treated for UTI, fleas, claws grown up into infected paw pads and very severe matting and abcessed tooth. She was on anti-biotics, subQ and nutrical. She made a full recovery as a geriatric Himalayan and lived several more years as a princess in my house - very nurturing to the annual feral kitten rescues. In a surprisingly instant transition, my regular cats instantly accepted Sandie (named cuz she was from San diego). Prayers and vibes that your rescue is as blessed as Sandie was. ♥:vibes: