Cat hissing at other cat after spay

Amanda_934

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I have two almost 10 month kittens smokey and bandit. Smokey got spayed yesterday and bandit did not because she just started her heat cycle. Now bandit keeps hissing and growling at smokey she won't even go near her. They are sisters and I got them together back in July and they are inseparable, but now it's like she doesn't even recognizes her. This is all new to me, and I need to know how long this will last. I put smokey in a room by herself so she won't jump on anything. I'm also thinking is bandit going to stay mad until she gets spayed to. Can two cats be in the same house while one is spayed and the other is not? I'm planning on getting bandit spayed but not until maybe the end of May. I'm a teacher and right now I'm on spring break so it's easier to watch them. If anyone has any input please let me know thanks.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep them separated for a bit, get a fresh towel and rub it over the kitten who stayed and then rub it over the one who left. That will help with the smell so she will smell like home and not the vet. I would not recommend waiting that long to get your other kitten spayed, get it done asap. Some can have 2-3 week-long heat cycles and go back into heat within days. A good vet shouldn't have any issues spaying while in heat. But I would get it done asap. Some vets are open on the weekend and you could do it then so you can monitor her. As long as she's put into a sanctuary room as soon as she comes home from the vet for an hour or two it should be fine. :)

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smokey probably could still get Bandit pregnant for a few weeks yet since there are still viable sperm in his system and his hormones haven't yet quieted down. You'll have to watch them, or better yet, keep them separated for a while after the non-recognition aggression wears off. Having her spayed ASAP would be the best situation because she'd be sterile immediately.

Incidentally, my cats always go through the n-r a stuff too every time one goes to the vet. It's perfectly normal and wears off soon after the visit, usually in a few hours.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Smokey probably could still get Bandit pregnant for a few weeks yet since there are still viable sperm in his system and his hormones haven't yet quieted down.
I believe both cats are female... so unless Bandit, who isn't yet spayed is allowed outside, there shouldn't be any pregnancies to worry about!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"They are sisters..." Geez, it would help if I'd just read the whole post! Duh...

Well, that's another problem the OP doesn't have to worry about.