Cat Hissing And Growling, But Acts Loving At The Same Time.

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have a stay male cat that will hiss and growl while he rubs around my legs acting happy. Any idea why he makes these threatening nosies but never acts out meanly? He has always been very loving in his own weird way and is very tame so I don't think he was abused by his previous owner. He has been shot by someone though. Don't know who but whoever it is I would like to give them a piece of my mind! It is not right to do that to a cat! Anyway I am just curious if anyone has had this same experience with any cat?
IMG_20180207_151102.jpg

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a precious kitty! It sounds like he is a happy kitty, despite the hissing and growls. I have a kitty with feline hyperesthesia who often hisses and growls, then minutes later might be purring. As long as he is happily rubbing your legs, I would not stress. He sure is a handsome boy!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a pretty boy! May be that he is still a bit scared, so even though he loves you, he still vocalizes? As long as he doesn't act like he is in pain, or gets aggressive its probably just his way :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl hisses frequently when she is feeling happy or relaxed, such as when she is kneading her blanket, coming over for a pet, playing with toys or sometimes just at the air. There is absolutely no fear or anger in her at the moment and sometimes she almost seems surprised that she did it. It’s odd but that is just her.

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are any other cats visible when he is doing this? My Minnie trash talks while giving me headbumps and cuddles if she can see any other cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes there are other males around which of course makes him do it. But he still does it when they aren't around. I wonder if he is in pain sometimes.

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes there are other males around which of course makes him do it. But he still does it when they aren't around. I wonder if he is in pain sometimes.
It’s possible he’s in pain, it’s tough to tell with strays. When he is rubbing your legs does he make “happy paws”, flexing his feet as he walks around? Do you ever see him relaxed, laying on his side and stretched out? If he only ever crouches, “meatloaf” style, he might be hurting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
SheriB SheriB - I think he is in pain sometimes. Like I said someone has shot him more than once and he has the pellets still in his back. He is extremely touchy about his back poor baby. He does all of the things you mentioned at times. So sometimes he does better and acts very loving and happy.