Cat hind leg paralysis after stroke

Molly09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,
My 7 1/2 year-old male cat had a stroke just over 3 weeks ago. He has cardiomyopathy and saddle thrombosis is a common occurrence in cats with that heart condition. We thought we were going to lose him that day but the vet was able to get him oxygen and blood thinners and he was able to come home a few days later, unfortunately though with hind leg paralysis.
The vet says it could take time, he may walk again or may not, and we've definitely seen improvement in his leg circulation, he just still can't stand because his feet have no strength at all. He can kick his leg up but cannot do anything where he needs his feet. He has figured out how to use the litter but just drags on the back of his legs typically. We've been massaging his legs as per the vet's recommendation and for now that's all we can do (on top of the meds), but I'm feeling so hopeless as this boy is my life. He was a happy outdoor cat who'd run around and chase things and now he can barely move. He eats and drinks which is great... But I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this or any words of advice here? Feeling pretty down.... Thanks all.

Bill E

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really don't have any advice but wanted to give a show of support, hoping he makes a full recovery. I'm so sorry this happened

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I unfortunately don’t have any advice. When my cat developed saddle thrombosis she was already in complete heart failure, and did not make it. As I see it you are doing the absolute best you can and are giving him lots of love. I wish you luck and prayers.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that the vet was able to pull your kitty through.

Did the vet recommend any exercises that you could be doing with him?

When my kitten was stepped on by my stupid neighbor and temporarily lost the use of her hind legs, my family was given some movement exercises to do with her a couple of times a day.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't have first hand experience with this, but I have read that half the battle is getting to where your cat is - eating, drinking, using his litter box - and at home!!!! I have also read that many of these cats do in fact get mobility back in their legs, but it can take months. The fact that you have already seen some improvement is a good sign, IMO!!

Stay on top of his meds, make sure to talk to the vet about follow up appointments/check-ups so he is appropriately monitored. Does your vet specialize in cardiology? If not, perhaps ask your vet about consulting one for help with ongoing care, and getting quicker notifications of any breakthroughs in medications/treatments for his condition. I have read there are a number of studies going on that are looking into different treatment options for saddle thrombi and for ways to stop new clots from forming.

Hang in there! Keep us posted on his progress!! We are rooting for your little guy!! :hangin: :vibes::cheerleader:

Oh, his name and a pic would be very welcomed!!!