Cat hiding under bed?

emu the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has always slept under the bed, especially in the afternoons, but recently I've seen her hiding under my bed even more, especially since two of my family members moved in. Although she's sometimes stressed when she's around some of my family members (especially the men), she's usually very happy and stress free in my room, so I'm not sure if her hiding under my bed is just a preference or because of the new changes at home. I've given her plenty of boxes to hide in, but she hasn't taken much interest to them. She continued to hide under the bed to sleep, even in the evenings, which is a bit unusual because she usually prefers my bed when I'm home. At first I thought that was because the box gave her very little ways to escape, so she felt cornered. But after I started blocking underneath my bed with bags and cardboard, she discovered a way to sneak back under my bed and preferred it despite the fact that she was pretty much trapped (apart from that one small gap that she found). Should I give her space to sleep wherever? Or should I be a bit concerned? Thank you!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is just sleeping there, nbd, lots of cats like to find a secure hidey hole to sleep in, even if they are normally pretty confident. Some will find a rip in a box spring and crawl inside the dang thing! Doesn't necessarily mean anything, its a cat thing to do. If, however, the cat is basically hiding all the dang time, coming out only at 3 am, thats a huge problem. Somewhere in between would be a sign that the cat is indeed a bit stressed by your family members moving in. Even if that is where you are at, the cat being a bit stressed, the best remedy for that is time. I mean, if the family members are willing to help, and give treats, and perhaps patiently sit on the bed the cat is under and quietly use their phones, if that doesn't lead to the cat running away, you might speed it up some, but mostly just time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emu the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I definitely think she's in between. I should have rephrased what I said before; she usually goes under there to sleep, but she also goes under there when she wants to hide from one of my family members. Like when one of the guys comes into the room or pets her for too long, she'll run under the bed. Sometimes when I look under the bed, instead of sleeping or relaxing, she's completely alert as if she were ready to run, which got me a bit concerned. My family members have been here for a couple months now, but she has always been naturally more afraid of men and they haven't been very inclined to getting to know her too well.
I definitely think you're right. When I blocked underneath my bed, she repeatedly tried to get back under, which makes me think that it makes her feel safe. I'll try to give her more time, and hopefully she won't feel the need to hide underneath due to stress. Thank you!