Cat hiding in basement

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our inside cats got in basement can't get her to come out. Tried shaking treats tried opening her food at the top of the steps. Still won't come out

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its unfinished and your worried it might be dangerous? If so, do what I do when my cat gets outside. Go down there and sit on the bottom steps. Be patient. Just chill. Eventually call for the cat. Pet it. When its calm, pick it up and take upstairs.

If its not actually dangerous down there, just be patient. My cat gets in the garage sometimes. I just close the door and am like "have fun in there." He sees there is absolutely nothing to do in there, and when I open the door in 10 minutes he is ready to come out.

Chasing after a cat is a bad idea. Even if it works in one instance, its training them to evade you. So if treats aren't working as you said (nothing wrong with that if it works), I suggest one of the above instead. But if its really somewhere dangerous and your worried there is no time for patience, then grab a hockey stick or something and bang on the walls near the cat. The cat will run upstairs soon enough.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When one of ours got into our attic, which IS rather dangerous for us, let alone for cats, we tried to search her out at first since it's kind of a small space and we figured we might see her. My husband did find her wedged near the a/c unit - but too far back for him to pull her out.

I remembered reading cats don't like the sound of compressed air cans you use to clean keyboards with. He got the can and used that to scare her out. Not aimed at her - just held it up into the air in the area. It worked. Once she heard the "HISS" noise she bolted down the stairs. I guess she thought it was another cat up there and wasn't about to get into a confrontation!

Both of our current cats have managed to slip by us a couple of times into the attic and the basement too. The basement isn't as dangerous but we weren't thrilled either. We're a lot more careful about leaving certain doors open now, that's for sure.