Cat Hides When People Comes Over

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So it’s not a big deal but I’m just curious. One of my cats Charlie ( 7 months) always always hides whenever anyone comes over, I mean I understand if I’m having a party and it’s loud, which doesn’t happen, but even if it’s just one person and we r just watching tv. When I first got him I kept him in the “car” room till he was comfortable, at that time if I came in I would usually find him behind the tv, but if I called to him or care up to him, he would approach me, purr, let me pick him up etc, no problem. Then he got free range of the house, and with just me and the dogs he is super sweet, affectionate, seriously one of the best kittens I have ever had. But every time someone comes over he hides. So yesterday my coworker ( we work at an animal hospital) came over and I was telling her about this behavior and I was curious to see if we could get him to come out. I found him and picked him up and he was fine, but once I walked in the room my co worker was in, he freaked out, and jumped out of my arms and ran off to hide. I guess some cats are just like this? My other kitten is completely opposite. I just think it’s weird and it’s not a problem, just curious why he acts like this when nothing traumatic ever happened with him, had him since he was tiny. I feel bad cause he loves attention and anyone who comes over always wants to meet him. I never force it with him except for last night when I only just picked him up and walked him to the room. Are anyone else’s cats like this? Maybe he will grow out of it?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just shy around any guests. I have had my 10 year old female Starbuck since she was a six week old baby. She was very curious around everyone when she was young. I can only guess she decided over time that guests should be avoided after too many vet visits for minor temporary issues when she was a kitten. She is very affectionate with us but hides from any guests. She even hides from our cat sitter who has known her since she was a baby. Our cat sitter is a good friend and she comes over to hang out when we are home too not just when we travel. My hubby's best friend has also been around her since she was a baby. She finally decided the last time he visited to venture into the den when my hubby was in their with his friend. She sniffed him but would not let him pet her. She did cuddle with my hubby in front of his friend. She hides any time we have company and my cat sitter is never allowed to really see her. I don't think this is something she will out grow. We have 4 cats and Starbuck is the only one who hides from everyone. The other 3 will visit with our guests. Sonny and Apollo will stay away for a few hours but are fine after that. Casey will visit anyone who sits on our couch. All my friends that Starbuck has met are cat people and they do not try to go near her but she hides the minute she hears voices that are not ours. Sometimes she even hides when you turn on the tv. We have no idea why Starbuck is so scared of our guests but we do not try to force her to interact. All of our guests know she is scared and do not try to approach her if they happen to see her run past them. She usually hides under the bed.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first cat ALWAYS hid when anyone came to the house. My friends all called her the 'phantom cat.' But if anyone visited regularly, she would eventually emerge for that individual.

One time, however, I was having some problems with my personal computer, and a co-worker (tech person) offered to come by to check it for me. Amazingly, my 'phantom' cat not only came out, but she rubbed against this guy's legs and was obviously inviting petting. I said, "You must be a really nice person because she always hides from strangers." He replied, "I'm allergic to cats."

Cats!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huxley does that too. If I am home with him and he hears someone coming up the stairs outside or someone rings the bell, he automatically runs for cover. If the lerson hangs around and we sit down in the living room for a while, he will eventually come out and carefully avoid the person, but come on my lap. If someone comes over regularly, he will eventually get used to them and let them approach him, though they’ll have to be willing to sit on the floor fist, letting Huxley approach them on his own terms first. The only time he will come out and beg someone for pets is when I am away and my friend comes to visit him to feed him and hang out with him. He is such a sucker for human interaction that he’ll come out from hiding and enjoy a nice cuddling session (though he will never climb on their lap. That’s reserved for me!)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you get your cat from? My two cats are former ferals from the woods and they are terrified of all humans that don't live in the house. It's different from a shy housecat, they literally act like their world is coming to an end when they see any human but us, like the mail lady, UPS or FedEx guy, a person jogging down the road. We had a shy housecat when I was a child, but you could still take him to those clinics where you get rabies shots with tons of people and animals. These guys would flip out if I took them there.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat usually hides but if guests stay beyond 3 or 4 hours he will eventually come out and be more social.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He may never grow out of it. When he wants to hide, let him. My baby girl (now 7 years old) will not come out for anyone but me. Some are just timid, even those that did not have any previous trauma.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first cat ALWAYS hid when anyone came to the house. My friends all called her the 'phantom cat.' But if anyone visited regularly, she would eventually emerge for that individual.

One time, however, I was having some problems with my personal computer, and a co-worker (tech person) offered to come by to check it for me. Amazingly, my 'phantom' cat not only came out, but she rubbed against this guy's legs and was obviously inviting petting. I said, "You must be a really nice person because she always hides from strangers." He replied, "I'm allergic to cats."

Cats!
My DH was like that. He was allergic to cats. They were drawn to him like magnets. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got him from a rescue, he adapted very well to me, the dogs and the house. I figured since it was the easiest time I ever had bringing in a new kitten that this wouldn’t be an issue. I had a cat I adopted a long time ago that was so scared of me and everything, it took a lot of time for him to come out of his shell and he never hid from Company. Cats are just weird I guess lol. I love him no matter what, maybe one day he will stop hiding. But if not it’s ok cause at least he doesn’t hide from me!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a sweet little shy cat for 16.5 years. She never did warm up to house guests. If everyone was seated she would creep down the hallway to peek into the living room and watch us, but as soon as anyone stood up she scurried back to the safety of the bedroom.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes a cat might want to avoid a person because of the smells associated the visitor... remember how sensitive a cat's nose is! Cats get pretty used to their owners' smells, but not those of visitors. We have one friend who uses Lava soap pretty heavily, another that wears perfume, another that seems scent-free... Milly has no issue with the latter person, definitely avoids the Lava visitor, and the perfumed one takes some getting used to: she'll eventually show up.