Cat Herpes..euthenize?

ShawnGremlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ever since my one year old cat, Shawn, was diagnosed with herpes, he has been miserable. It has only been a month and he is already having a second flare up. This time his eyes are being targeted and he has a film over one of them. I give him lysine (try to) twice a day, when he has an appetite or wants to take it. He is congested and sneezing. The first flare up he was coughing like a chain smoker.

I give him steam baths by leaving the shower on and going in the bathroom with him. I do this twice a day. My other cat, Gremlin, seems to be bullying Shawn. I hate seeing Shawn so miserable. He is my cuddly boy.

I guess my question is, the twice daily eyedrops, chewable lysines, and steam baths dont seem to e helping much. And he seems so miserable, is it selfish to keep him around?

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Have you taken him to the vet since the second flare-up? I've heard that sometimes systemic anti-viral therapy can help FHV cats, so maybe your vet might recommend something like this the second time around.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are lots of things that can help, including OTC supplements and/or prescription antivirals. Sometimes vets prefer to start out with more conservative treatments first to see if that helps, and if not, they can recommend other options.

In our case, our cat with herpes also has FIV and some other health issues, including significant damage to his sinuses from chronic infections that went untreated before we rescued him. So he's almost always congested. It's just a matter of degree. However, after quite a bit of trial and error, we've stumbled into some things that do help him, including a grain-free diet of wet food only, keeping the humidity in the house within a certain range, alleviating stress as much as possible (e.g., Feliway diffusers, calming treats, etc.), and starting him on lactoferrin and a probiotic in addition to the L-lysine he was already taking.

If you don't already have any Feliway diffusers, I highly recommend them. They can also help reduce tension in a multi-cat household.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I would not euthanize a cat that has herpes. My cat Demi has it, but he has to have lysine twice a day every day or it comes back. I use Pet Naturals of Vermont Lysine treats. What kind of eye drops are you using?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
No, I would not euthanize a cat that has herpes. My cat Demi has it, but he has to have lysine twice a day every day or it comes back. I use Pet Naturals of Vermont Lysine treats. What kind of eye drops are you using?
I wouldn't, either. Our cat Molly had a terrible time with herpes but adding lactoferrin to the lysine made a world of difference. There's a very long but useful thread here about herpes treatment Stubborn herpes infection? Add Lactoferrin in addition to Lysine

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of times, when they are in the middle of a flare-up, supportive care --like the eye drops and steam baths-- is what to focus on. You may think it is not helping, but a main goal is to make sure they will and can eat regularly, and steam baths can really help with congestion. It's important they eat and get enough water intake.

Hang in there, and maybe consult your vet again to see if more can be done for your kitty! I, too, would not ever euthanize a kitty with FHV-1.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShawnGremlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's the best type of lactoferrin? What is the best type of L-lysine? I am currently giving both my cats Vetriscience chewy treats from my vet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Pet Naturals of Vermont Lysine chews because they are only like $5 a bag for a month supply. It's cheaper to use the Now Foods lysine powder, but my cats seem to prefer the treats.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Molly wouldn't eat the treats so I used powder and mixed it in her food. I think I was using the Jarrow brand.

ShawnGremlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. When you say, a month supply, how many do you mean?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since herpes is stress-related, you might also try chamomile tea for your cat. It is calming, and may help. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and administer 1-3 teaspooons (depending on your cat's size) per dose, up to three times a day. You can also use it as a wash on the "ouchy" skin irritations.

I'm also including some articles we have on reducing stress in cats. They may help as well. NOT time to think of euthanization yet!

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Your Cat Probably Hates It When You... (just in case)

ShawnGremlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gremlin attacks Shawn often...when he is trying to use the litter box, sleep, eat. I don't think Gremlin understands when it is time to quit, because he was taken from his mom early and never really learned cat social cues. Any tips?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What does Shawn do when attacked? Does he fight back? If so, then you may think about letting them sort it out. If he runs and hides, you may need to step in. One way that often works is a short, sharp "HEY!" It doesn't have to be really loud, the tone of voice is the key.

ShawnGremlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He runs and hides. Sometimes, he will stand on his hind legs and use his front paws to massage Gremlin's back...which annoys Gremlin and causes a short fight.

ShawnGremlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would getting a third cat help?

sarah78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet had us do Zithromax for 6 weeks. We did 1 week every day then every 3 days for the remaining 5 weeks. It was a miracle for Rosie. I had done several courses of other antibiotics, lysine, and the lactoferrin. Now I just do the lysine in her wet food twice a day. She is a whole new cat, no more sniffling, sneezing, or snot.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a herpes cat and she ended up having a secondary infection. Once we got that cleared up, the flare ups also become much less frequent. I'd suggest that you have any nasal discharge cultured to see if you're dealing with a secondary infection.

Then, look at ways to de-stress your home. Run feliway diffusers 24/7 and use other calming agents as needed. I would also suggest switching to a grain-free diet. Make sure you're giving him 500mg of lysine twice a day. I use the powdered variety from Vitacost. Just 1/4 teaspoon is equal to 500mg.