Cat Health

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

thanks for your concern about the kittens. GOOD NEWS, they are eating again (heartily). I listened to your suggestions, read some articles on the cat site (a blessing to cat owners) and then prayed (first priority); second, I listened to God and went from there. Couldn't find goats milk, so I put some brown sugar (B vitamins) in evaporated milk and they at least gave that a try. As they let mama cat 'prime the pump' with nursing for milk that was not to come, they settled for the evap. milk - YES! Then gave them their fav. wet food again. That tasted better to them now (their digestive tracts were coming around again). Then today (this all began just yesterday) they ate their fav. dry food. Just got to put the weight back on them now. I feed them in a large 'bowl' (2" high, 10" diameter plastic flower pot bottom), there are 7 mouths to feed, I don't want them disagreeing over the food - ha.

Just to know what I feed them: I go to www.tractorsupply.com online and order it, pick it up at local store (very convenient). It's good, healthy food and they love it, nor is it expensive like major name brands. Major brands too often build their advertising in the price of the foods, while quality is often no better than that offered by Tractor Supply. I've understood nutrition for people and animals for a long time, so I know of what I speak. (Even so, can anyone totally trust any commercial products out there, given product bias, etc. I'm 'horrified' at some stories about truth behind pet food production).

I buy: "Paws and Claws" (T S house brand) Ocean whitefish/tuna (large cans) and "Paws and Claws" mixed grill SKU 2202187 , as well as "Paws and Claws" mixed dry kibbles, 16 pound bag SKU 5076682.

No I do not work for or know anyone who works for Tractor Supply, I just believe in sharing good news and what works for me when caring for people and/or animals. I suggest you might try these products if you're led to (your pets, your decisions) and "a penny saved is a penny earned". Vets certainly serve their time/place, as well. I've needed to call on them over the years, too. Just not this time. God bless you all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're quite welcome. I know I appreciate all the good news, advice I can get (in all areas of my life). I don't impose myself on others, I do like hearing my input is valuable though. If we (all) animal lovers unite and refuse to buy, promote that long time inferior feed products, the manufacturers will get the message (money, or lack thereof) talks.
Thanks again for your reply.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I'm using Tractor Supply dry food too right now for my cats, but it's not the Paws & Claws one, it's the 4health Indoor Cat Formula. It has a little extra fiber for my cats' poop problems. It also has no corn, soy, wheat, or artificial coloring. :)

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens don't seem to have a poop issue (not that I've noticed - ha.) They are outside so I can't follow them around to check, I just see them sometimes 'doing their thing'. Fiber can be a two edged sword, even in people issues. Too little and poop is slow, too much and poop is slower (might block bowels, a vet might give a better answer to how much is just enough fiber). If I took Paws and Claws away from these kittens I think they might be upset with me - ha.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well whatever is in the Indoor version, it is the perfect amount of fiber for my cats. I have struggled for years to find the right foods for them. So I guess it's good that Tractor Supply has several varieties to choose from for different cats with different problems. There is something for everyone. :)

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree totally. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", right? I'm glad you're dialed in on your kitty. I still learning about this "herd" mama stray bestowed on me. Good thing I love animals, all of them. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I just wanted to mention that I don't use the Indoor dry food anymore. I think the hairball stuff in it was too much for every day, my cats started to get loose poop. :(

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I just wanted to mention that I don't use the Indoor dry food anymore. I think the hairball stuff in it was too much for every day, my cats started to get loose poop. :(
Thanks for the update. We all live and learn. I'm still learning from all these kittens I'm trying to do my best with. I'm glad they don't think I'm 'perfect' :)