Cat head tremors

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For a few months now (but notably more frequent in the last couple of weeks), my cat have these odd head tremors where he seemingly loses control of his facial/head muscles for a fraction of a second (see video at the link below). At first I thought nothing of it until I read it may be caused by hyperthyroidism, something he's not currently diagnosed with, but he does have CKD and I believe hyperthyroidism often accompanies kidney disease. Anyone familiar with anything like this??

Video 1

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry, for some reason I cannot access the videos. I have never heard of head tremors related to hyperthyroidism, or CKD for that matter (my cat has both). Either condition would have to be well advanced to get to the stage, as far as I know, to cause any sort of similar issue. CKD can happen without hyperthyroidism, but a lot of times hyperthyroidism - when diagnosed and treated - can unmask kidney issues. The extra thyroid hormones enable the kidneys to operate more efficiently, so when the thyroid hormones are 'reined' with meds, they expose kidney deficiencies.

How old is your cat? What is the degree of his kidney disease? And are there any treatments currently underway for his kidney disease? Could it be a side effect of some meds he is currently on?

A whole lot more information about what is going on with your cat might be of great help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry, for some reason I cannot access the videos. I have never heard of head tremors related to hyperthyroidism, or CKD for that matter (my cat has both). Either condition would have to be well advanced to get to the stage, as far as I know, to cause any sort of similar issue. CKD can happen without hyperthyroidism, but a lot of times hyperthyroidism - when diagnosed and treated - can unmask kidney issues. The extra thyroid hormones enable the kidneys to operate more efficiently, so when the thyroid hormones are 'reined' with meds, they expose kidney deficiencies.

How old is your cat? What is the degree of his kidney disease? And are there any treatments currently underway for his kidney disease? Could it be a side effect of some meds he is currently on?

A whole lot more information about what is going on with your cat might be of great help.
The links got converted to media, I changed that to be regular links. Let me know if the works better. As for my cat, he's 14 years old, late stage 3 CKD. He's on Semintra and food supplement Epakitin. These twitches don't appear to have triggers and seem to occur mainly when he's relaxed. It's pretty random and brief, so it's diffidult to caputre. The worst case of it I saw affected his front legs as well and made him lose balance momentarily.