Cat Head Tilt - No Diagnosis. Anyone Have Any Ideas?

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, my 5 year old cat spooky started tilting her head to the right just over a week ago. It' not a shake exactly more a sharp 'turn' every now and again. She's also sticking her tongue out when she does this and is yowling and showing she's distressed.

On the day it started we went straight to the vets who did a full examination and bloods/tox tests. Ears And mouth are all clear, bloods fine and there's no sign of neurological problems. As soon as she had pain meds she was fine, but when they start wearing off it all begins again. We've seen 2 different vets and had advice from 2 others showing them videos but everyone seems a bit clueless. She's getting some xrays tomorrow of her head which I'm hoping may provide answers, but I'm concerned as it's been going on over a week and we're not treating anything just the symptoms.

Excuse all the text, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what could be causing this? Or ideas of other tests that could help?

Thanks in advance (:

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My guesses are that she has (a) pulled a muscle in her neck or (b) injured a neck vertebrea (sp?) and it's pinching.

edited to add: My Mom suggests a heating pad. LOL She's always doing stuff to her neck since she got old!

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No Ideas. Just sending you guys good thoughts. Hoping you find out what the problem is, and its easy to fix!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks both. I'll ask them to have a feel around her shoulders tomorrow as you never know! I'm really hoping it's something simple like that and easy to fix for her, I hate seeing her so sad and I don't think she likes it much either

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A brain tumor perhaps. I'm only guessing, of course. I hope you get some answers from the x-rays.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update, they took some pictures and her brain/ears/mouth/throat are all clear. They did see some mouth ulcers but said this shouldn't cause the tilting and amount of discomfort. We've got more pain meds and now antibiotics for 10 days, if it doesn't help it'll be a full body scan. It's only 24 hours since she started but she does seem a little better already so fingers crossed!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad she seems to be a bit better. Keeping you guys in my thoughts!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all, my 5 year old cat spooky started tilting her head to the right just over a week ago. It' not a shake exactly more a sharp 'turn' every now and again. She's also sticking her tongue out when she does this and is yowling and showing she's distressed.

... As soon as she had pain meds she was fine, but when they start wearing off it all begins again. ...
Just a quick update, they took some pictures and her brain/ears/mouth/throat are all clear. They did see some mouth ulcers but said this shouldn't cause the tilting and amount of discomfort. We've got more pain meds and now antibiotics for 10 days, if it doesn't help it'll be a full body scan. It's only 24 hours since she started but she does seem a little better already so fingers crossed!
I'm not a vet but I would think that some mouth ulcers might hurt quite a bit!
Crossing fingers for your kitty Spooky! :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :sickcat:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

edited to add: My Mom suggests a heating pad. LOL She's always doing stuff to her neck since she got old!
:alright: I'd be careful about heating or warming pads. I recommend only using one designed for cats/ pets, and then, no longer than 15 minutes at the most and under supervision... just so kitty doesn't get burned!
:itslove:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feel around her back/neck area yourself, feel for heat. If a spot feels warm or hot, it could in all probability be a sore spot. If you find a spot that feels tight/sore, she should react to it but don't bother it enough that the reaction is negative, if that makes sense.
When our girl pulled a muscle in her back it was like a human; she couldn't hardly move or walk and any attempt to move her was met with a lot of growling (not in her character). When the spot on her back was found, it was just off the side of her spin but even the gentlest massage made an entirely different part of her back twitch, jump, and leap around. It was bizarre-O. Good news is, a few days of muscle relaxers and lots of massage and lots of rest made her good as new. Hopefully it's nothing but a soreness and not something worse; it's good all the X-rays and bloods etc. have checked out clear.