Cat Having Trouble Peeing

Legitkit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed this morning that my cat was making frequent trips to the litter box around every 10 minutes. I thought this was weird so I went over and looked at it, and there was just a small wet spot from a few drops of pee. A couple hours later, there's more drops in her litter box and this time it's tinged with a little blood. She just peed a decent amount of normal pee all over my carpet, but then 10 minutes later tried to pee in her litter box and more blood tinged drops came out. I'm not old enough to drive and my mom works late so we weren't able to take her to the vet today. I'm guessing it's a urinary tract infection, so how important is that? If it's an emergency my mom can try to get out of a shift tomorrow but she really doesn't want to. Would my cat be ok going on Wednesday?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a tough call. If this were a male cat it would be absolutely essential that he be seen. Because of anatomy differences between a male and female and if there are crystals involved, a male can become blocked which is an emergency. She really should be seen before Wednesday if at all possible. She is in pain and she will continue to pee in inappropriate places. You will need to clean where she pees with an enzymatic cleaner so she doesn't go back to those spots. She could also develop litterbox aversion, she associates the pain with the litter box. You may need to switch out everything about the litter box, new box, new location and new litter to get her to go back to using the box.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add, that although males are much more prone to becoming blocked, that does not mean a female won't. If you happen to notice that she goes to pee and nothing comes out. That is an emergency, and she needs to be seen ASAP. The kidneys can start to fail within 24 hours when a cat can't pee.
The fact that she can pee a full amount, yet still tries to go more often means she probably has a UTI. The sooner she sees a vet and gets medication, and makes sure she has not developed crystals, the better. And as denice denice mentioned, be prepared for inappropriate peeing (out side the litter box), the good news is when she is feeling better, the inappropriate peeing should stop.
In the mean time, try giving her only wet food (canned), with an extra tablespoon of water mixed in, the extra moisture will hopefully help flush her a bit. But if she is not usually a wet food eater, you may notice her poop gets a bit mushy. I would try to get her to the vet before Wednesday though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Legitkit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both very much :)

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had two females who at separate times got cystitis. They would pee little amounts of pinkish or reddish pee and cry out as if it was hurting them. One even peed on the wall, trying to get my attention so that I would see her doing it. . Cystitis is highly curable.

BeckyAnn56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed this morning that my cat was making frequent trips to the litter box around every 10 minutes. I thought this was weird so I went over and looked at it, and there was just a small wet spot from a few drops of pee. A couple hours later, there's more drops in her litter box and this time it's tinged with a little blood. She just peed a decent amount of normal pee all over my carpet, but then 10 minutes later tried to pee in her litter box and more blood tinged drops came out. I'm not old enough to drive and my mom works late so we weren't able to take her to the vet today. I'm guessing it's a urinary tract infection, so how important is that? If it's an emergency my mom can try to get out of a shift tomorrow but she really doesn't want to. Would my cat be ok going on Wednesday?